Healthy Snacks and Beverages for Children
Eating a healthy snack is important for kids's health and well being. Choose healthy snacks from fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. These foods are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and low in fat and free of cholesterol. Here are some healthy snacks and beverages for children.
List of healthy snacks and beverages for kids and children:
1. Fruits and vegetables: Eating fruits and vegetables is part of a healthy diet for children.Fruits and vegetables available in fresh, frozen, canned, and dried forms.Fruit can be served whole, sliced, cubed, or in wedges. Refrigerate cut up fruits and vegetables in small bags for easy snacks on the run. You can add fruits to cereals and smoothies.
Health benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables may lower risk of heart disease, blood pressure, cancer, stroke, eye and digestive problems. Fruits and vegetables also provide essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are essential for good health.
You can serve fruits and vegetables with dips such as vanilla yogurt dip, hummus, guacamole, or salsa dip. Hummus has nutty flavor and contains folate, iron and vitamin b6. Avocado contains lutein, magnesium, and monounsaturated (healthy) fats. Fruits and veggies is one of the great choices for healthy snacks.
2. Milk and eggs: Milk has excellent source of calcium which is very essential for growth and proper development of strong bone structure. Healthy benefits of milk can be achieved from its products including cheese, yogurt, butter, condensed milk, tofu and paneer.
Eggs are a great source of protein. Protein supplies all the essential amino acids, which are the building blocks for hormones, skin, tissues, and more in the body. You can give eggs as hard boiled, scrambled or omelette.
3. Whole grains: Whole grains packed with fiber and other important nutrients, such as selenium, potassium and magnesium. You can give whole grain foods such as breads, pasta, oatmeal, cookies and cereals. whole grains may help protect against cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity.
4. Almonds and pecans: Almonds contains magnesium, potassium, iron, fiber, zinc, calcium and vitamin E. Almond may reduce bad cholesterol, heart disease and weight loss. Pecans contains more antioxidant than other nut. Pecans are also a rich source of oleic acid. Eating 1-2 ounces of pecans may reduce the risk of heart disease.
5. Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are high in proteins and fiber and it is good for growing kids. Sunflower seeds are also filled with potassium which helps flush and reduce sodium in the body. These seeds are plentiful in magnesium and phosphorus which help the body absorb calcium.
Healthy snacks for kids:
6. Baked sweet potato chips: Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants than regular potatoes and also lower in calories and carbohydrates. Sweet potato is a healthy low calorie snack for children.
7. Bread sticks and granola bars: Bread sticks are great source of vitamin B, iron and magnesium. You can serve bread sticks with veggie dips. Granola bars contains oats, grains and nuts. It also has good source of fiber and vitamins.
8. Oatmeal cookies: Oatmeal lowers the cholesterol level and also good source of soluble and insoluble fiber. Oatmeal contains oats, grains and nuts and also is a perfect healthy snack for kids.
9. Fruit juices and smoothies: You can buy 100 percent fruit juices and avoid sugar drinks and high fructose corn syrup. Check the label first. You can make banana smoothies, apple smoothies and chocolate smoothies. Orange juice contains vitamin C, which is helpful in boosting the immune system. Apple juice contains antioxidants, essential nutrients and vitamins. Orange juice and apple juice is great for kids and children.
10. Other snacks: Other healthy snacks for children include english muffins, crackers, breakfast cereals, popsicles with fruit juice, pretzels and fruit smoothies.
More by this Author
Some simple yet delicious sugarless Christmas cake recipes for diabetics. You will find a variety of tasty sugarless Christmas cake recipes in this hub for easy and fast homemade preparations. These cakes are...
Here are some of the foods to avoid while trying to lose weight including refined sugars, condiments, refined flours, cheeses, starchy vegetables, popcorn, fried foods, artificial sweetners, caffeine and junk...
Wondering what you can and can't eat if you have H. Pylori? Read on for a list of foods to avoid and foods you should make a point to eat.