Herbal Remedies - Remember Rosemary
Benefits of Rosemary
Herbal remedies – Remember Rosemary
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is a herb best known for its ability to add that extra zing to certain meats, but did you know that it contains important chemicals which can help fight certain illnesses? In tropical climates, Rosemary is used not just for its seasoning qualities, but also as a meat preservative. Originally a native of the Mediterranean, Rosemary was first used by the Greeks and Romans for flavoring food and wine. Then the Greeks discovered what modern day researchers have now confirmed - that this aromatic herb does contain medicinal properties.
Some medicinal uses of Rosemary:
1. To protect against stroke and other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Lou Gehrig’s disease. Rosemary contains carnosic acid, a powerful antioxidant, which helps to fight off free radicals in the brain. Carnosic acid stimulates the synthesis of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) which may help prevent nerve cell deterioration in Alzheimer’s.
2. Aids in weight control. Carnosic acid inhibits fat absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. Because of this, it is believed that Rosemary can prolong the feeling of fullness after you have eaten, and this can aid in weight management.
3. Controls dyspepsia (indigestion)
4. Cancer fighting. When Rosemary is sprinkled on meat before cooking at high temperatures, it prevents the formation of (HCAs) heterocyclics amines. These are carcinogenic compounds that form when beef, pork and poultry are cooked at high temperatures. Marinating steaks in Rosemary also reduces HCAs.
5. As a mood booster.
6. Relieves respiratory disorders such as bronchial asthma. Relieves colds, chills and rheumatism.
7. Prevents menstrual problems
8. Fights prostrate problems
9. Prevents liver and kidney diseases
10. Stimulates hair growth
By now you are probably convinced that Rosemary is good for your health. It is not difficult to incorporate this herb into your diet, since it enhances the flavor of most foods. It has been called the herb of Remembrance, so remember to pick up a bottle of Rosemary powder or extract the next time you visit the supermarket or pharmacy. Or better still, why not purchase a plant from your garden store. That way you can make use of this exciting herb whenever you feel like it.
More by this Author
Mention the US gold rush and most people think of California and the Wild Wild West. But there is a little-know town north west of Atlanta, called Villa Rica, which boasts of the first gold rush.
The average employee spends more of his waking time at work than anywhere else. Going to work means interacting with people who are not necessarily members of your own family, and who all have different...
I was born and grew up on the island of Trinidad. In case you don't know, Trinidad is the most southerly of the West Indies and lies just about seven miles off the north-eastern tip of Venezuela. As a child growing up...