High Protein Snacks for Diabetics
Here is a list of high protein snacks for diabetics. Eating healthy meals and high protein snacks is important for diabetes. Always choose snacks high in fiber, moderate in carbohydrates and proteins. Carbohydrates affect your blood glucose significantly. One way to manage diabetes is to eat meals and snacks at the same time each day. Always ask your health care provider first when choosing a protein snack for diabetics.
List of high protein snacks for diabetics:
1. Nuts: Nuts contains proteins, fiber, healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Almonds, walnuts and peanuts are a great choice for high protein snacks for diabetics. These nuts contain the healthy monounsaturated fats. Almonds may lower cholesterol levels, and heart disease and is great for diabetics, or anyone with sugar issues. Walnuts contains high amount of omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids may help to lower LDL cholesterol levels.
2. Whole grain crackers: Whole grain crackers is great for lowering cholesterol levels. Whole grains is packed with tons of fiber and other important nutrients. It may help to protect diabetes, obesity and other health issues. You can eat whole grain crackers with low fat string cheese, low fat hummus dip. Also, you can choose different kinds of whole grains including whole wheat, multigrain bread. You can toast and eat with low fat cheese.
3. Fresh fruits and vegetables: Fruits and veggies is another high protein snack for diabetics.You can choose vegetables such as carrot sticks, celery sticks, cauliflower florets, cucumber and broccoli. Eat these vegetables with non fat dressing. Choose some fresh fruits such as apples with skin, pomegranate, oranges, papaya and guava. Stay away from grapes, watermelon, mango, dried fruits and dates. These fruits have high sugar content. Health benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables may lower the risk of heart disease, blood pressure and other health problems.
4. Apple smoothies: Combine half apple, 3/4 cup of non fat yogurt and non nutritive sweetener and blend until smooth. Apples contains healthy solubel fiber that helps to lower your cholesterol level and prevent heart disease.
5. Milk and egg whites: Milk has great sources of calcium. Calcium helps bulid strong bones. Always choose fat free or low fat milk. Completely avoid whole milk. Calcium is achieved from varius sources including skim milk, low fat yogurt, low fat cheese, and tofu.
Eggwhites has great sources of protein and free of cholesterol. It also helps to lower your cholesterol levels. You can make omelette, scrambled egg or sandwich.
6. Sandwiches: Make whole wheat toast with turkey, lettuce, tomato and mustard or turkey with low fat cheese. Another variety is whole wheat toast with 1 tablespoons of peanut buuter.
7. Low fat granola bars: Granola bars contains oats, grains and nuts. It also contains fiber and vitamins.
8. Beans and lentils: Beans and lentils are great source of protein and fiber and low in fat. You can choose beans such as cooked black beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans and kidney beans. You can add beans and lentils to soups and salads. Be sure to check the labels, because canned beans contains more sodium than regular beans. Always drain the beans and rinse well.
9. whole grain oatmeal: Oatmeal is high in fiber and can reduce cholesterol levels and lower the risk of blood pressure.
10. Other high protein snacks for diabetics: Whole grains cheerios with skim milk, graham crackers, whole wheat bagel toast with non fat cheese, whole wheat tortilla wrap with black beans, a tablesppon of salsa, onions, lettuce and low fat shredded cheese.
Snacks for diabetes:
What is your favorite snacks for diabetes?See results without voting
More by this Author
Here is a list of foods you can eat with diabetes. Carbohydrates affect your blood glucose or sugar level significantly. Foods such as bitter gourd, cinnamon, onion and garlic is good to lower the blood sugar level. By...
A balanced meal plan is important for everyone. If you have diabetes, eating properly balanced meals and snacks is even more important. Food is an important tool that you can use to control diabetes and stay healthy. It...
Wondering what you can and can't eat if you have H. Pylori? Read on for a list of foods to avoid and foods you should make a point to eat.