High Protein Snacks for Pregnant Women
High protein snacks
Snacks high in protein and fiber are a great choice for pregnant women. Protein helps to reduce nausea, and fatigue. Fiber is important for pregnant women to reduce constipation. Protein is an essential nutrient and is needed for the growth and repair of muscles, bones, skin, hair, eyes and other tissues. Protein is found in dairy products, chicken, turkey, fish, grains, lentils, nuts, eggs and seeds. Here are some of the high protein snacks for pregnant women.
List of high protein snacks for pregnant women:
1. Whole grain crackers: Whole grain crackers can be served with hummus dip, avocado or veggie dip and cheeses. Whole grain crackers packed with good sources of fiber, vitamins, protein and low in fat. Whole grains also help to protect cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. You can choose different kinds of whole grain such as whole wheat, multi grain, bread, cereal, graham crackers, animal crackers and rolls.
2. Milk and eggs: Milk has great source of calcium which is necessary for pregnant women. Milk is essentail for growth and strong bone structure.
Eggs are a great source of protein. Protein supplies all the essential amino acids, which are the building blocks for hormones, skin, tissues, and more in the body. You can eat eggs as hard boiled, scrambled or omelette.
3. Fresh fruits and vegetables: Fruit and veggies can be served whole, sliced, cubed, or in wedges. You can add fruits to cereals and smoothies. Vegetables can be eaten with variety of dips. Fruits and vegetables provide essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that are essential for pregnancy.
4. Yogurt parfait: Yogurt parfait contains vanilla yogurt, granola and blackberries or strawberries. Add 1/4 cup of low fat yogurt or low fat vanilla yogurt to parfait glass. To this add one teaspoon of granola and few blackberries. Repeat the layers. Yogurt parfait is definitely one of the high protein snacks for pregnant women and easy to make.
5. Nuts: Nuts are a great protein snack for pregnant women. Nuts has fiber and full of antioxidants. Almonds, cashews, and pecans are a great choice. Almond may reduce bad cholesterol, heart disease and weight loss. Pecans contains more antioxidant than other nut. Pecans may reduce the risk of heart disease.
6. Beans salad: Beans has great source of protein, and fiber. You can add beans to soups and salads. Dried and canned beans contains the same benfits, but canned beans contains more sodium. Be sure to drain and rinse well.
7. Smoothies and juices: You can make banana smoothies, berries and apple smoothies. Drizzle with some nuts. Apple juice contains antioxidants, essential nutrients and vitamins. Orange juice contains vitamin C, which is helpful in boosting the immune system.
8. Granola bars and oatmeal cookies: Granola bars contains oats, grains and nuts. It also has good source of fiber and vitamins. Oatmeal contains oats, grains and nuts and also is a perfect healthy snack for pregant women.
9. Whole grain sandwiches: You can make whole grain sandwichwes with chicken, or salmon with tomato and lettuce. You can choose different varieties including multigrain, rolls, whole wheat and breads.
10. Lentil soup: Lentil are a great source of protein, fiber and low in fat. You can make lentil soup or add cooked lentils to soups and salads.
What is your favorite high protein snacks?See results without voting
- Cooking Techniques for Fish
Fish Fish is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It is also a good source of omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids is good for heart. Eating different kinds of fish helps to reduce your...
More by this Author
How to find out whether a pregnant woman has diarrhea, what causes it, what are the symptoms, and what she should eat.
Baby station Baby station refers to the relationship of the top of the baby's head or the presenting part to the level of the ischial spines. Baby station is measured by vaginal exams by your health care provider....
Want to teach your child some basic math concepts? Read on to find out how an abacus make learning math easy and fun for your child!