Home Pregnancy Test Kit - 5 Reasons to be First to Know You Are Pregnant
If you go to a doctor for a pregnancy test, your doctor (and probably others) will see your results before you do. Here's five reasons to be first to know you are pregnant, and how to use a home pregnancy test kit.
Many women believe it is best to protect their privacy and do their first pregnancy test at home.
How to Tell If You're Pregnant
What should you do if you think you are pregnant?
Instead of waiting for months to see if your belly swells, your breasts become tender and you keep missing periods, it is faster and easier to take a pregnancy test to tell if you have conceived or not
Pregnancy tests can be done either at home (by the use of home pregnancy test kits) or by visiting your doctor and having a blood test for the existence of the hormone HCG.
Are you pregnant?See results without voting
Why Do Women Use Home Pregnancy Tests?
Confirming a suspected pregnancy is always an emotional experience. Why do women use home pregnancy tests? Because most women feel more comfortable being in the privacy of their own homes when they learn the results of a pregnancy test.
- Some women cry at a positive pregnancy result.
- Other women cry at a negative result.
- It may be a huge relief to be pregnant, after unsuccessfully trying to fall pregnant for a long time.
- Women who fear an accidental pregnancy may be swamped with relief at a negative result.
- Pregnancy results are often a shock.
- A first pregnancy is always life-changing.
- An unexpected pregnancy when other siblings have grown can also be life-changing.
- Failing to fall pregnant can also be life-changing if it heralds IVF treatment.
Good news or bad, finding out whether you're pregnant or not is sure to generate some level of emotion. Women generally use home pregnancy kits so they can be the very first person to learn the news of their pregnancy.
Here's five reasons why women like to be the very first to know they are pregnant.
1. Pregnancy Special Moment
There are many special moments during pregnancy, long before your baby arrives. Here are some of pregnancy's special moments, not in any particular order:
- Baby's first kick
- Ultrasound pictures of your baby
- Finding out you're carrying more than one baby
- Learning the gender of your bub (if you want to know before birth). 'It's a boy' or 'It's a girl'.
But the very first special moment of any pregnancy is:
- Finding out you are pregnant. Really, truly pregnant. Not just thinking you're pregnant, but knowing you actually are.
Being in a doctor's surgery when you learn the news can detract from what otherwise could be a particularly joyous moment for women who are excited to be pregnant.
Home pregnancy test kits allow women to find out whether or not they are pregnant in their own personal space, where they can laugh, cry, shriek or celebrate immediately if they like. (Similarly, women who were hoping for a negative pregnancy test are able to react to the news in the privacy of their own home.)
Some women prefer to be alone when they use their home pregnancy test, but many like to share the special moment with their husband or partner.
2. Time to Think
You've just found out you are pregnant. What do you do next? Suddenly you need time to think.
There are many implications associated with being pregnant that women feel they shouldn't really ponder too early, for fear of jinxing themselves. Then suddenly, when faced with a confirmed pregnancy, there are significant decisions to be made.
You need time to think about things like how your job, your income, and your existing family will be influenced by your new pregnancy.
- Who will you tell you are pregnant?
- When will you tell them?
- And just how will you break the news that a baby is on its way?
Living in a small community, trips to the doctor can be very stressful if you hope to keep a secret. Despite laws or rules or guidelines to protect the privacy of patients, those rules are often broken.
Staff in medical offices who know the results of your pregnancy test may mention it to their friends or family who pass on the news before you've had time to think.
One of the greatest advantages of home pregnancy tests is being the first (and only) person to know you are pregnant. You can take time to think issues through before telling anyone else the result of your pregnancy test, without feeling under pressure that gossip will reach them first.
3. Telling Your Partner He's Going To Be a Daddy
Every relationship is different. Every new father will react differently to the news his wife or partner is pregnant. And every woman will have some kind of idea about how she'd like to break the news of her confirmed pregnancy to the father of her developing child.
A home pregnancy test provides a number of different options to a pregnant woman.
- Have your husband/partner with you when you use your home pregnancy testing kit
- Test yourself when you are alone
- Have a trusted friend nearby when you get your pregnancy test results so you can talk about what to do next
If the father of your child is not with you when you find out you are pregnant using your home testing kit, you then have a number of options for breaking the news.
- Make plans for a special event.
- Dinner (without alcohol, because you are pregnant.)
- Buy a baby's crib and sit it by your bed.
- Send a text message ... with a photo of your test result.
Or, if you don't want to be the one to tell him:
- Book a visit to your doctor for a pregnancy test, and take your partner along with you.
.You know what the result will be, but maybe you want him to hear it from a doctor.
4. Present Your Baby News Positively to Significant Others
If you are the first to know you are pregnant by using a home pregnancy test kit, you can eliminate the risk of significant others hearing the news on the grapevine.
Instead of fearing your older children will hear the news from the child of the doctor's receptionist, or your boss might play tennis with someone who asks him if you've been late to work because of morning sickness, you can make plans to present your baby news positively to significant others.
Do you intend to just post an update on your Facebook page? Or will you make a special visit to your parents and in-laws to tell them they will soon have a new grandchild?
5. Save Money With Home Pregnancy Test Kits
There are a number of ways using home pregnancy test kits can save you money.
- A home pregnancy test is cheaper than a visit to the doctor (in many countries).
- You don't need to take time away from work to visit your doctor.
- Learning your pregnancy result (negative or positive) gives you a chance to plan exactly what questions you would like to ask your doctor when you do visit.
Of course you will need to visit a doctor if you are pregnant, but make better use of your appointment after giving thought to all the specific questions you would like to address.
How Do Home Pregnancy Test Kits Work?
Pregnancy testing kits measure the level of a pregnancy hormone called Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) in the urine to determine whether a woman is pregnant or not. The result may be negative or positive depending on whether there is pregnancy or not
HCG is produced by cells in the placenta and it first enters the bloodstream after implantation of the fertilized egg into the uterus lining. The amount of HCG in the blood keeps on rising as pregnancy progresses and tests can be carried out successfully after week two of missing your monthly period. By this time you may be wondering if you are pregnant.
Remember not to carry out a rushed test until at least two weeks after the time you expected to menstruate as the results may not be accurate. Because these pregnancy detection kits check the level of HCG hormones, they may give you inaccurate or misleading results if you use them too early when the level of the hormone is very low or insignificant.
Wait a full two to three weeks after your period fails to arrive for more accurate results.
Negative Pregnancy Test Results
Your pregnancy test may turn negative for many different reasons like;
- You are not pregnant.
- You have carried out the test too soon before the HCG hormone builds up in the bloodstream.
- Not knowing the exact date of your ovulation. It can happen that you have ovulated later than your previously thought and hence the negative pregnancy test.
How A Home Pregnancy Test Is Performed
For optimum results you are advised to do the test at 'room temperature'. Extreme weather conditions (either extremely hot or cold) in a home without air-conditioning could, in theory, influence your result.
It is also believed that the accuracy of the results may increase if you perform the pregnancy test in the morning before you do anything else.
To carry out a home pregnancy test, follow the following procedure;
- Collect or gather a small amount of your urine in a clean and dry container. Make sure that the container is free from any form of dirt, chemicals or detergents that could compromise the authenticity of the final test result.
- Place the pregcolor card on a flat surface, perhaps the flat part of the sink in your bathroom.
- Draw a small amount of the urine in the container with a dropper(which comes with the pregnancy test kit) and put two to three drops of it in the test well which is most of the times marked S. Don't let the urine contact the reading strip or it may influence reading and interpretation.
- Now relax and wait for the recommended number of minutes before reading the results. Don’t read the results too early or too late as that may give you an inaccurate result.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to interpret the result of the urine sample. It could turn out to be negative (no pregnancy) or positive.
Other Useful Content
- How To Increase The Effectiveness Of Birth Control Pills
Find out how to make your birth control more effective
- Am I Pregnant?: What You Need To Know About Birth Control Pills
Everything you need to know about taking birth control pills
© 2012 kenyaentrepreneur
More by this Author
Looking to pack on some pounds in a hurry? Click here to find out how to gain weight FAST.
How do you calculate the safe period to avoid pregnancy? Find out here
How do you know/tell if a guy likes you back or not? What are the signs/signals that a man likes you? Or how do you tell if he is interested in you or loves you?
No comments yet.