Home Remedies For A Sinus Infection
What Is Sinus infection?
I remember waking up since my childhood days with blocked nostrils or nasal stuffiness along with cloudy discharge from the nose with sore throat and cough. These are few symptoms of sinus infection which causes sinusitis, i.e., inflammation of the sinuses. The frequency of getting clogged and runny nose is less now in my adulthood but still persists.
We have four pairs of paranasal sinuses which we are talking about and the inflammation caused in them. The four pairs are as follows:
a) Frontal sinuses located in the forehead and just above the eyebrows.
b) Ethmoidal sinuses located in between both the eyes and just below the bridge of our nose.
c) Sphenoidal sinuses located just behind our ethmoidal sinuses.
d) Maxillary sinuses located behind our cheekbones and just below our eyes.
All the nasal structure and sinuses are lined with mucous membranes. When due to infection of bacteria or virus or due to pollution, smoke, pollen grains or any other allergic material these get inflamed, we call it sinusitis.
So, a sinusitis could be due to infection (bacteria or virus) or allergic reaction (smoke, dust, chemicals).
What Are the Symptoms of Sinusitis?
Symptoms for sinusitis include but not limited to clogged nasal airway passage, runny nose, pressure around head, eyes, and face, sore throat, fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
Bacterial sinusitis is usually treated with antibiotic therapy.
Early treatment of allergic sinusitis may prevent secondary bacterial sinus infections.
Home Remedies For Sinus Infections:
1) Take a clean piece of cloth and put 1 tablespoon of black cumin seeds and fold it properly and inhale this. This will provide you instant relief.
2) Take a clean bowel. Put one teaspoon of roasted cumin seed powder (jeera powder) and put 1 tablespoon of honey. Mix this well and eat this daily.
3) Take a clean bowl and put 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (meethi seeds) and add four cups of water. Now boil it till the quantity reduces to half. Strain this liquid and let it cool lukewarm and drink four cups of this strained liquid daily. Slowly reduce the dosage as your symptoms subsides. This is very good in curing your fever and eliminating the toxins from your body via perspiration or sweating.
4) Eating raw garlic and onion along with your daily food intake helps controlling sinusitis.
Add Lemon Balm to Steamer
5) Take vapors. Buy a steamer. Pour water, add a few two drops of liquid lemon balm in it, switch on the steamer and inhale the vapors after covering your face and head with a towel. This will instantly soothe your nostrils and sinuses as a whole. After taking vapor, wipe your face and apply liquid lemon balm on your nose an cheekbones and forehead. Liquid lemon balm is very good in sinusitis.
6) Boost your immune system by making a decoction of giloy (a herb found in Asia). Buy the giloy powder over internet and put one tablespoon of this powder in two glasses of water and boil till it remains one and let it cool till it is lukewarm and drink it daily in the morning empty stomach for three months every year. This will not only protect you from sinusitis but also from hay fever, viral fever, dengue, chikungunya and many other diseases which we have due to weak immune system.
7) Avoid smoking.
8) Avoid pollution, dust, and things which you are allergic to.
Yoga For Sinusitis
This yoga will not only cure your sinusitis, but also eliminate future occurrences of sinusitis, hay fever, and any kind of allergic reaction to dust, pollution, chemicals, and other irritants.
This yoga is known as Jal Neti — This is performed since ages by the Indian Yogis (yoga practitioners) every morning to cleanse the sinuses and keep them healthy just like we brush our teeth to keep them healthy.
Things required to perform Jal Neti:
1) Neti pot (a small pot with a long snout which we can place in our nostril to perform jal neti).
This is Jal Neti Pot
How To Perform Jal Neti
2) Two cups of lukewarm water (one cup for each nostril).
3) One teaspoon of sea-salt (non-iodized salt) (half teaspoon for each nostril).
Process to perform Jal Neti—: Take the Jal Neti pot, pour a cup of lukewarm water in it, add half teaspoon of sea salt in it, and mix it well. Now stand before your sink, tilt your head at such an angle that you are going to enter water from one nostril and it will come out and drop in the sink from the other nostril. Now, position the long snout in your right nostril and let the water flow inside your right nostril and come out from your left nostril. While doing so, breath from your mouth. This flow of water will do deep cleansing of your sinus from inside. Occasionally, the water will come out from your mouth too. When all the water is finished from the Neti Pot, sneeze out the remaining water from the nostril and wipe with tissue paper. Now, repeat the same process on the left nostril. Do this daily or at least once a week to keep a healthy sinus. Nothing more is effective than jal neti. This yoga is proven since ages and has thousands of practitioners all over the world who are living sinusitis free life. Also, once you will perform, this will become very easy to you.
Note: If you have a recent nasal surgery or ear infection, do not do this yoga.
I wish the above remedies will help you all and if you have something more to suggest please help me in adding your virtues for my article Home Remedies For A Sinus Infection.
How Do You Treat Your Sinusitis?See results without voting
My Other Few Useful Hubs
How To Treat A Sinus Infection
More by this Author
A few years back: It was one fine morning but not so fine for me, because I woke up with an oversized swollen lip and half upper face. I was so scared and perplexed that I immediately went to the emergency room where...
After having a hearty meal, I went to sleep and got up in the morning to find my hugely swollen lip and hives all over my hands which startled me. My doctor called it as hives allergic reaction. Hives are also called...
When we visited Rajasthan, I was completely awestruck by this dish and now have planned again to visit that place especially to enjoy this dish. Rajasthan is a dry and arid region of India. Here people eat very spicy...