Home Remedies For Acne and Blackheads
Acne, blackheads, whiteheads, Oily skin, nodular acne, cystic acne......so many disguises a diseased pilosebacious unit assumes! Oily skin, blocked pores and infection contribute to the appearance of blemishes and these don't disappear until proper treatment is started. Its hard to live with Acne; Who wants to have imperfections on the face?!! Other areas of the body may also develop the condition, but the most significant; socially is the facial area. The psychological effects of a visible and potentially disfiguring disease are damaging and lead to low self-esteem, Depression, lack of confidence, Inferiority Complex, timidity and even Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It might not look half as bad as it FEELS!
Fortunately there are remedies available, at home, over-the-counter and prescription, which can help control and get rid of the Acne in each of its forms..Starting with the most cost-effective treatments is good, and it can be done in conjunction with your prescription or OTC medication for best results
- Rule # 1: Increase your fluid intake, drink loads of water. Substitute colas and coffee with clear fluids and Citrus-fruit juices. Herbal teas are great too.
- Wash your face 3-6 times a day, depending on the weather.
- Keep away from alcohol and tobacco smoking as much as possible. Smoking makes the skin dull by interfering with circulation, causes discoloration and wrinkles as well.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation.
- Keep smiling: Its very important that you keep your negativity in check, as stress as a major factor in breaking out.
- Take the peel of half a lemon and rub it for a minute on your skin, and rinse off. Do this at night.
- Mix 1 tsp tomato juice, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and add to the paste of half a cucumber. Throw in a Tbsp of Fuller's earth or white clay to improve the consistency and results. Apply and leave on the face for 30 minutes. Wash with cool water. Do this at least twice a week to control acne and enhance your complexion.
- Tomato juice and lemon juice can both be used as astringents, to tighten pores and reduce oiliness. Lemon juice should be diluted with Rosewater and used fresh. Tomato juice on the other hand doesn't require caution and should be applied with a cotton swab for about 10 minutes each day.
- Take a cup of dried Orange peel, powder it in the dry-mill. Add half a cup of sandalwood powder and half a cup of gram flour. Store in a dry and air-tight container, and use as your scrub for blackheads on alternate days.
- Mix a pinch of alum salts in the pulp of a papaya and spread the paste all over your face for 30 minutes. Very good for blackheads and active pimples!
- Lemon juice, plus honey, gram flour and turmeric powder has been used for centuries to get rid of pimples in Southeast Asia. For best results make a paste of gram flour with a pinch of turmeric and sift them together. Add lemon juice and a drop of honey to make a paste.
- Drink two glasses of citrus fruit juice every day! The Vitamin C in these juices will help clear the skin faster and also improve the appearance of the skin.
- Eat a fruit salad or whip up a fruit yogurt instead of a sugar filled dessert. Avoid sugary drinks and food. Fruit is an excellent substitute.
Herbal and Home Solutions:
There's a wealth of healing in herbs that are in your kitchen, your refrigerator and your vegetable garden.
- Peppermint has many health benefits; It removes odor from the oral cavity, Aids in digestion, and is a miracle for the skin. Make a peppermint infusion and store it in the refrigerator to use each day as a toner. This infusion can also be filled into a spray bottle to be used as a freshener.
To make the infusion:
Take a handful of fresh peppermint leaves, and soak in 500 ml of water overnight. Add a glass of water in the morning and bring the water to a boil. Then let simmer on low heat until the fluid is reduced to half. Remove from heat, let cool on room temperature, and store.
- Drink peppermint tea everyday. Peppermint teabags are good enough, but try making your own as well, with fresh leaves.
- Green tea is packed with antioxidants. A cup a day will help the skin become radiant and it will help get rid of the acne too. Try it.
- Turmeric has natural antibacterial properties. Add a pinch into your face pack for kicking the pimples!
- Spirit of Camphor is also an antibacterial agent, add a drop in a pinch of prickly heat powder and apply on the affected skin overnight. Works like a charm.
- Alum works as an antiseptic. Wet a small chunk with water and lightly rub over the pimples for quick results. You don't even have to wash it away!
- Neem leaves have always been a favorite in skin treatments. Crush the leaves to make a paste, add a little turmeric powder, half a lemon, lemon zest, orange-peel powder to thicken. alternatively black mud or fuller's earth can be equally effective instead of powdered orange peel. This mask needs to stay on the face until dry for maximum benefit.
- Tea Tree Oil is wonderful for treating Acne. Its proven to help clear the Acne especially the yellow infected zits, as these are infected and respond well to the anti-inflammatory, anti-acne properties of tea tree oil.
- Witch Hazel applied to the blemished skin not only heals the lesions, its also an astringent which reduces oiliness. Thereby breaking the cycle of Acne-formation.
- Try the pulp from inside an Aloe Vera leaf. Just rub in the pure thing and it's going to soothe your troubles away.
Tweaking with Stuff That You Have
Now this is the fun part. You have spent a fortune on over-the-counter and cosmetic products...You also have some prescription stuff lying around...use it.
- Use your oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer to dilute the Benzoyl Peroxide cream that you don't use anymore.
- Any face masks; homemade or off the shelf; can be modified with lemon juice and an ampule of pure vitamin C and one of Vitamin E. Add a pinch of ground alum and your mask is now an anti-acne, skin friendly BOMB!
- A pea-sized quantity of a Retinoid cream eg Tretinoin plus Clindamycin lotion, when added to your oil-free, non-comedogenic night cream will not only kill the zits but will also make your complexion glow.
All these things are easy to do and are effective. Still, its always a good idea to see a qualified professional for skin disease. Especially if the Acne is nodular or cystic, with no mouth on the pimples. This condition requires careful systemic treatment with antibiotics etc, in addition to the topical therapy.
more on healthy skin...
- Benzoyl Peroxide For Acne
Benzoyl peroxide is being used to treat Acne for a while now. Although its effective in the majority of Acne cases, some users are dissatisfied. Benzoyl Peroxide should work on just about anybody. Because...
- 5 Natural Ways to A Radiant Skin
What defines beautiful skin? Clarity, a smooth texture, healthy coloring and of course absence of blemishes and light or dark patches. Stresses of life, work, environment and many other factors including...
More by this Author
So, you have reached a point in your relationship, where the lies you have told are catching up with you?! Many will tell you that you shouldn't have lied in the first place. And they are right. But the fact is that...
Oral Isotretinoin, developed by Roche in 1982 and named Accutane (in USA), was declared a miracle drug for the sufferers of severe nodular and cystic Acne as soon as it was launched. In 2009 the company cited...
A lot of us have questioned ourselves at the beginning of an obvious end and at the end of a possible beginning. However some of us keep whirling in the confusion of what could have been or should have been. When a...