Home remedies for constipation in children
Constipation in Children
Constipation is a common health problem in children. Constipation is defined as infrequent passage of bowel movements or passage of hard stools. The common symptoms of constipation are infrequent and difficult bowel movements, constant fullness in the abdomen and loss of appetite. The number of bowel movements varies from child to child. Some children have once a day, some have 2 or 3 a day, while others have one every other day. Here are some simple home remedies for constipation in children that you can try for quick remedy. Do not forget to consult with the doctor if you have any questions or doubts.
1. Castor oil: Castor oil is used as a laxative for temporary relief of constipation and most commonly used in children. In case of severe constipation in babies, dip the stalk of betal leaf in castor oil and can be introduced in the rectum. For children who are above 2 years old, you can give 1 teaspoon of castor oil mixed with a glass of milk. You can adjust the dose according to your child's age.
2. You can soak 6 raisins in water overnight. Next day, you can crush well and strain and give the raisin liquid to your child. It helps to regulate bowel movement.
3. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar or honey to a glass of milk and drink it before you eat anything in the morning. This is a good home remedy to treat constipation in children.
4. Drink 1/4 cup of olive oil with 1/4 cup of orange juice. It also helps to cure constipation.
5. Fruits: Fruits are beneficial in treating constipation in children. You can give fruits such as pears, oranges, peaches, plums, mangoes, guava and papaya. Also include dry fruits such as prunes, apricots, figs and dates.
6. Fruit juices: Children love to drink fruit juices compared to vegetables and fruits. Try giving juices such as apple juice, pear juice and prune juice or juices that are high in sorbitol. These juices helps to relieve constipation in kids.
Constipation in children
7. Vegetables: You can give green and leafy vegetables such as spinach, french beans, cabbage, turnip, pumpkin, beets and carrot. These vegetables are high in fiber and helps to treat constipation.
8. Unrefined foods: Foods such as whole grain cereals, bran, bran cereals, bran muffins, graham crackers, honey, and lentils are good to soften to your child's stools.
How to detect constipation in children:
Children has fewer than 3 bowel movements a week
The stools are dry, hard like pebbles and pain during a bowel movement.
The stools that are difficult to pass can be a sign of constipation.
How to prevent constipation in children:
1. Water: You can drink plenty of water as it helps to soften the stools. Consume 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Drinking water is beneficial for constipation and cleansing the body.
2. Avoid junk foods: Constipation in children is mainly due to eating foods that are low in fiber and eating lot of junk foods especially sugars, and fried foods. You can decrease the foods that contribute to constipation such as jack fruit, bananas, cow's milk, yogurt, white flour, pulses, cakes, pastries, candies, cookies, cheese, white sugar and hard boiled eggs.
3. Diet: Diet plays a important role for constipation in children. You can give foods that are high in fiber especially fruits and vegetables such as prunes, apples, and green leafy vegeatbles.
4. Playtime: Give plenty of outdoor activities such as running around the yard, jumping rope or riding a scooter can be good for treating constipation in children.
5. Time: Schedule a standard time for younger children to use the bathroom so it doesn't interrupt their daily playtime activities.
More by this Author
How to find whether your baby has diarrhea, how to treat it, and what to feed your baby.
Wondering what you can and can't eat if you have H. Pylori? Read on for a list of foods to avoid and foods you should make a point to eat.
Want to teach your child some basic math concepts? Read on to find out how an abacus make learning math easy and fun for your child!