Home Remedies for Acne - Tips for Clearing Up Breakouts Fast
Acne is one of the most common skin disorders affecting young people and adults today. Nearly six out of ten people in the age range of 12 to 24 suffer from some form of acne, so it is no surprise that there are an equally large number of treatments out there, some of which work and some of which do not.
Although there are a number of reliable remedies out there that can really solve the problem, you do not have to shell out a lot of money to rid yourself of those painful and unsightly bumps. The perfect solution to your blemish problem could just be lying around in your kitchen or might be found at the nearest corner pharmacy. Here are some of the most common and effective home remedies you can try the next time you experience a breakout.
Top Home Remedies
- A balanced diet - This is probably one of the best things you can pay attention to. Experts say that a bad diet coupled with stress is the most common trigger for acne. Try to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables and tone down on the processed foods, caffeine and soda. It will do wonders for your skin and also for your whole body as well.
- Garlic - Rubbing raw garlic onto the skin is believed to clear up the skin faster than any commercial ointment or lotion can. The external use of garlic has been known to reduce the severity of pimples and boils on the face. The consumption of garlic is also good for your health as well. Studies have shown that garlic may play a role in lowering blood pressure.
- Aloe vera - Aloe vera has a soothing effect and is particularly effective at reducing the appearance of inflammation in the skin. It is usually applied to the affected areas two or three times a day to relieve the inflammation. Aloe vera juice is also believed to be effective in reducing the visibility of scars.
- Lemon and orange peels - These are applied on the affected areas and can be either rinsed off after a few minutes or left overnight. Orange and lemon peels are also known for their lightening effect on scars and skin discolorations.
- Neem - This plant, known to contain Nimbidol and Gedunin, is an effective fungicidal agent and is good for other skin conditions like scabies, warts and psoriasis.
- Vitamin supplements - Niacin and Vitamin A are among the supplements which have a positive effect on breakouts. Niacin should be taken 3 times a day in 100 mg doses and the same for 50, 000 IU of Vitamin A. 400 mg of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, should be taken once a day. This regimen should be followed for a month.
- Zinc - Zinc, taken three times a day in 50 mg doses, is also an effective home remedy. Natural sources of zinc include peanuts, legumes, and dark chicken meat.
- Cucumber - To make the skin soft and supple as well as help blemishes, a cucumber paste applied to the affected area for 30 to 45 minutes may also be effective. Regular use of this cucumber paste can prevent the appearance of pimples and blackheads. You can use other variations using other natural ingredients like the honey and cinnamon powder mix, nutphal and milk pastes, and fenugreek leaves, all of which are believed to reduce or prevent those pesky pimples and blackheads.
- Egg whites - Apply egg white on the face and leave it overnight. This is known to tighten up the pores while drying out pimples at the same time.
- Tomato - Application of a fresh slice on the skin is known to tighten the pores up and prevent blackheads from appearing. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, another natural and powerful antioxidant.
What is Your Favorite Remedy for Acne?See results without voting
In addition to the free natural remedies for acne, there are plenty of effective and affordable over the counter treatments that can be helpful. Most of them will work within a fairly short amount of time and can clear up even the toughest acne.
One suggestion for saving a little money is to try Amazon or eBay instead of paying full retail prices at your local store. Often times you can find the some of the best products at deep discounts and at times with free shipping as well.
Everyone loves to get a good deal right? Why not get rid of ugly breakouts and save money at the same time! Be sure to check out the poll on this page to see which treatments other visitors have had success with.
More by this Author
One of the hottest new weight loss support products on the market now is Healthy Trim. Does it really work or is it just like all the other diet pills out there that claim to help with weight loss? If you're like most...
Many of you who have run into difficulty with joint soreness or discomfort have most likely tried some kind of topical pain relief cream at one time or another. These kinds of products can be attractive for a number of...
The two major nursing designations used within the United States are LPN which stands for licensed practical nurse and RN which is a registered nurse. Deciding which career path to take requires a good understanding of...
No comments yet.