DIY Natural Mosquito Repellent
What will you need?
The first thing that comes into your head when a mosquito cloud flies around your back yard is go to the nearest pharmacy and purchase one of the mosquito repellants available from different manufacturers, either natural or synthetic.
Instead, you can easily prepare an effective homemade mosquito repellent burner! This DIY repellant requires just a common burner and one of the natural mosquito repelling essential oils like citronella, lemon eucalyptus, lavender or geranium oils. The evaporated oil should repel mosquitoes in a radius of 2 to 3 meters, for at least 1Hr.
The natural mosquito repellants are gaining more and more market share by riding on the natural/organic wave trend. The penetration rate is increased also due to the apparent health risks involved with synthetic repellents like DEET, especially for infants and in frequent use.
So if you really like DIY remedies and especially natural ones, I recommend you try making your own aerial homemade mosquito repellant as follows:
1. Locate the burner at the center of the requested mosquito-free zone.
2. Add to the burner's cup some water and 4 drops of an essential oil like Lemon Eucalyptus.
3. Take the candle of the burner, light it and put it inside the burner below the water cap. The flame of the candle will heat the essential oil inside the water and cause it to evaporate.
4. After a while the essential oil is released into the air. You can now sit secured in the mosquito repelling area that was generated around the burner.
5. This aerial mosquito repellent burner should be effective for about one hour . If the mosquitoes return to bother you, simply add to the burner cup few more drops of essential oil and that's it!
One last tip - it is best to use a combination of essential oils: This way your homemade repellent will cover a wider range of mosquito types and environmental conditions.
So now it is time to go and try it and comment how it worked for you!
By Dr. Gil Stav, Your Mosquito Expert