Fit Kids: 5 Ways to Get Children Hula Hooping for Health
Hooping is a great way for adults to get into shape. Kids also love to hula hoop. Encouraging children's natural enjoyment of hooping can help them to stay active and be fit. Use some of these ideas to get a reluctant hooper spinning like a pro.
- Hoop together. That's right -- your child will love to see his mom or dad goofing around with a hula hoop. Also, demonstrate good sportsmanship when you make a mistake. It's bound to happen and it is an excellent example for your child on how to behave.
- Host a hoop play date. Invite your child's friends over for a hooping session. Play some kid-friendly tunes and let them rock out together. You might be surprised at how long this simple activity engages the group! Be sure to remind parents that your guests need to supply their own hoop.
- Incorporate hoops into established games. We all know how to play Simon Says and Follow the Leader. Now, try these games with hoops! Other fun activities that blend smoothly with hooping include relay races, the Hokey Pokey song, and hopscotch.
- Speed hoop. See how fast your child can hoop, and how long she can keep that speed up. Time your child and record it, then have her try to break her record next time.
- Pretend. When is a hula a hoop not a hula hoop? When you're using it as something else! Play with using the hoop as if it was another object, like a jump rope or a lion tamer's flaming hoop. The possibilities are endless. Brainstorm with your child to see how many different ways you can use the hoop.
Kids Love Hooping!
More by this Author
The PlayStation 2 Slim boasts some obvious upgrades. Plus the Slim comes in a sweet and sexy silver version. But do these improvements warrant shelling out another $99.95 for those who already own the original...
I never planned to be the owner of a toy dog breed. When I revealed to my boss that my husband and I had adopted a chihuahua, a puzzled frown creased his face. "I can't see you as a small dog person," he...
Not natural: an advertisement for sugar-free Chupa Chups lollipops. I love to blend. Hummus, smoothies, ice cream bases, it's all good. Recently I discovered a new blendable food item -- cream cheese. Excited, I...