Hospitals & HealthCare - Are we really in safe Hands?
I have never liked going to hospitals and on the few occassions I have, I discharged myself early twice because I prefer to be in the comfort of my own home. After what I observed in some hospitals, I have become so fussy about food and hygiene.
Ofcourse no one is perfect, but you can’t but help raise eyebrows when a surgeon forgets a pair of scissors in the stomach of a patient… and there’s more…
a) Mistakenly giving wrong Medication
Some years ago in St. Mary's Medical Centre, Madison, Wisconsin - A nurse mistakenly gave a pregnant patient a dose of epidural medication in an intravenous line instead of something else.The epidural medication caused a cardiac arrest and the patient died. her baby son survived.
b) Saline Contamination
In UK, this summer 2011, Stepping hill hospital, Stockport (photo above)was in the news for Saline contamination, in which 7 patients died. Insulin was injected into their saline drips, however this was not an error. Police are treating it as a Crime, as patients had been unlawfully administered insulin.
c) Bleach found in milk
This week – Sept 2011 the same hospital above, is under another inquiry of how milk got contaminated with bleach. A patient asked for milk and he said he could smell bleach in it – which turned out to be true.
Baby Joshua with his little sister before he died
d) Negligence in Maternity Wards
Furness General Hospital in UK, is currently being investigated. They have been given a warning notice by the Care Quality Commission watchdog. At least 15 newborn babies and 3 mothers have died. A further 38 infants were stillborn. When Joshua’s father went to pick up his dead sons medical records, he was informed they were incomplete. He stated on skynews this week, that there was a cover up.
e) Removal of Gallstones leading to paralysis
In 2008, Teenager Sophie Tyler was admitted to Birmingham Children's Hospital, UK for surgery to remove gallstones. She was left paralysed from the waist down after a spinal anaesthetic (epidural) was left in too long after an operation. It was mistakently left in for 2 days. The hospitals admission of liability has left the way open for a full settlement, providing Sophie with financial support for the rest of her life.
Sophie Tyler in wheel chair
I hope Sophie does walk again some day – Miracles still happen. •*¨*•✩✬
People go to hospital to get better and some look after their patients but with all that has been in the press recently, I can't help but ask:
...are we really in safe hands?
Wishing you sound health.
More by this Author
How to stay fit and stop tiredness.
A look at Pro Ana Websites that encourage Anorexia as a healthy lifestyle and endanger the lives of youngsters. September 2009.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.