How to Get Rid of Headache Naturally
There are different kinds of headaches and they all require different treatments. t is very important to make a correct diagnosis. The tension headache is the most common one. You get tension headache when muscle tighten on your head and neck area then press on blood vessels in your scalp. The cluster headache is extremely painful and isolated to one part of your head. Sinus headache is throbbing pain around the eyes with nasal congestion. Migraines are the grandfather of all the headaches and it can last for hours and hours and caused by anything from food reactions to change in atmospheric pressure.
Do not get confused between Headache and Migraine:-
Headaches are irregular attack of pain in various parts of head or in the sinuses in the facial area.
Migraines are recurrent pain with associated nausea and vomiting. The pain is usually confined to one side of head or eye. The specific food allergies such as cheese, citrus,wine, plums, banana, raspberries, chocolate and avocados have been found in migraine patients.
Here are some home remedies to get rid of Headaches without using medicines;-
- At the first sign of headache stop what you are doing and if possible lie down in a dark and quite room with an ice bag or cold pack on your forehead for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Relax: ask someone to massage your neck shoulder and upper back. Take a hot bath. Do relaxation exercise.
- As long as the pain is there eat very light and stay away from alcoholic beverages.
- Take one clove of finely chopped Garlic to relieve headache.
- Eat food with high in magnesium like Spinach, almonds, cashews, brown rice, black beans, pea, high in Omega 3 fatty acid like olive oil, walnut and fish.
- Eat fruits with high water content like watermelon, berries, cucumber, grapefruit, cantaloupe, apricots, papaya, peaches and cherries, pineapple. Apple and avocado are good source of Magnesium.
- Spices like cinnamon, rosemary and Ginger root helps relieve headaches.
Get rid of Headache with the Supplements:-
- Take Vitamin B complex; 200mg, 1-2 times daily.
- Take Vitamin B12; 10 mg 3 times daily in acute condition.
- Take Vitamin C and Magnesium.
- Calcium 1000mg daily. Take 200 – 400 per hour in acute attacks.
- Oils: Lavender oil, apply to forehead, use peppermint oil if the cause of headache is stomach origin.
To identify and remove the cause of recurring headaches, keep a record, the date and time of each occurrence, what you were doing and what food and beverages you have consumed, any change in your habit.
Get rid of Headache with Exercise
Do the following routing for 15 minutes daily;-
1. Get comfortable in a chair with your hands in your lap and feet resting on the floor. Wear loose clothes, take a deep breathe and let it out slowly.
2. Start by standing one arm in front of you. Make a tight fist and tense the muscles as hard as you can. Hold for count of five, concentrating how the tense hand feels.
3. Relax your hand partway. Hold it again for count of five.
4. Now release the tension completely allowing your hand to feel completely relaxed. Take a deep breathe and slowly exhale.
5. Repeat the same thing for the other hand then for your arms, shoulders and facial muscles, taking deep breaths between each muscle group until the entire upper body is relaxed
6. Using the same routine of tensing and relaxing muscles go on to your stomach, buttocks, legs and feet.
7. After tensing and relaxing your entire body close your eyes and sit quietly for at least five minutes. Breathe deeply and concentrate on a word, number or pleasant scene.
Get rid of Headache with Massage
- Sit on a chair or stand comfortably. Put your fingers on your head with your hands facing each other.
- Starting at the middle of the scalp, at the hairline press the fingertips in to the scalp with medium to hard pressure.
- Slowly work the fingertips back on your scalp while maintain the pressure until you reach the base of your skull.
- Release and return your fingers to the hairline.
- Move them ¼ to ½ inches down either side of your head and repeat the procedure.
Do this until you have covered the entire top of your head. If you feel any tender spot stop moving your fingertips and concentrate on that area for a few second longer.
Continue massage for one to two minutes.
Get rid of Headache with Accupressure
For Tension headache, sit comfortably on a chair and bend over with your elbows propped on a table or desk. Breathe deeply and press firmly for one to two minutes.
Use thumbs of both hands to press the GB20 points which are situated two inches out from the middle of your neck, underneath the base of the skull.
For frontal headache, hold the point LI 4; located in between the webbing of the thumb and index finger, close to the bone at the base of the index finger, with your thumb on top of webbing and your index finger underneath, angle the pressure towards the bone that connects the index finger to the hand.
Hold for one minute then repeat on your other hand.
Get rid of Headache with Yoga
The best yoga for headache is neck roll. This exercise should be done three times per day to relieve headache.
First kneel on the floor or a mat. Place your forehead on the floor or a folded towel if the floor is uncomfortable and position your hands underneath.
Breathe out slowly as you roll your head forward gently, do not push too far. You should feel a pleasant stretch in the back of your neck. Return to the starting position.
Repeat slowly 20 times to see visible result.
Cause of the headache
- Due to stress, anxiety, depression or insomnia.
- Due to muscular spasm like neck and shoulder tension and toxicity.
- Due to Arthritis; Nerve compression or inflammatory disease.
- Due to an eye disease, ear, nose, throat sinuses, teeth or gum disease
- Due to digestive system, Constipation, indigestion, intestinal toxicity or inflammation of stomach.
- Coffee or coffee withdrawal, junk foods, tea, cocoa, excess salt, fat carbohydrates and sugars, dehydration,
- High blood pressure, circulation, anemia, water re tension, pregnancy,contraceptive pills, menstruation, premenstrual stress, poorly fitting glasses,wearing contacts too long,
When to go to a doctor
Your headaches are getting stronger and more frequent.
You notice numbness, blurred vision, memory loss or dizziness.
You have headache after severe head injury.
Your headaches are caused by exercise.
Your headaches start disrupting your life like start missing your work or school due to recurring headaches.
- How to Live Longer? 13 Easy Ways to Prolong Your Lif...
Learn how you can dramatically save your life span in just 13 simple steps.
More by this Author
Here are top 10 ways to boost your immune system to be healthy and beautiful.
Having acid reflux or heartburn is not a good feeling. Learn how to control your Acid Reflux.
Learn top 10 benefits of social book marking sites and increase traffic to your websites, articles, blogs, hubpages, videos or any other information you would like to share online.