What To Do If You Accidentally Drink Kerosene
When I was a toddler I accidentally drank kerosene.
In Jamaica, especially in the country side, water is always an issue especially in the warmer months when there is no rain. People store water on containers we call jugs, but they are in fact bottles.
It is not common for people to label containers and children often don't know the difference. Kerosene used to be stored under the kitchen sink. Of course it has it's own colour, a pale yellowish hue, and it smells. But usually it doesn't smell until you actually pour it. If you have an uncovered container of kerosene sitting still in a corner and it is untouched you will not really smell it until someone upsets it. Here goes the dilemma. If a child is thirsty and an adult is not around that child might be inclined to drink the kerosene by drinking directly from the container.
During the 70s and 80s a lot of kids were becoming ill from drinking kerosene so the government requested a coloured kerosene be sold instead. So we got an aqua coloured kerosene but it was fazed out after a while. We now have a slightly yellow kerosene and the smell is more awful than ever.
Here is what happened
I was about three years old, my mother was at work and I was left with a babysitter. Now to tell the truth I don't remember if my brother or sister was the babysitter at the time so I will just refer to the person as babysitter.
In those days Kerosene was very popular in Jamaica because people used Kerosene lamps and kerosene stoves a lot. I believe the kerosene was stored under the sink in the kitchen in a plastic gallon bottle similar to those we would fetch water in.
I don't remember doing it but I do remember the taste of it in my mouth and the stench of it. Every time I smell kerosene now the memory of that awful taste and a very bad deja vu would overcome me. I would feel sick to the stomach as if I wanted to hurl.
I fell sick to my stomach and it was discovered that I had drank some of the kerosene. I was taken to the hospital and my stomach pumped. I was released with medication or so I was told but the most vivid memory I have is that I was given a tea of kola nut to drink. In Jamaica we call the kola nut "bissy". It is a powerful antidote and was used in those days to counter attack poison.
I was later told that I was thirsty and being the little miss independent I wanted to fetch the water myself, so I took my cup and poured the kerosene in. So I had just about a cup of the awful stuff. The cup was a toddler cup so it can't have been more than four ounces. Apparently the bottle was not full either since I was able to lift it and pour.
Can Kerosene kill?
Yes it can!
Kerosene can cause death up to a month after consumption depending on the quantity swallowed.
Here are the effects of kerosene in humans:
- Inhalation: Damage to the airways and lungs which leads to breathing difficulties. The throat may also get swollen.
- Eyes: Kerosene can cause blindness and it certainly can cause pain in the eyes.
- If swallowed: Abdominal pain, may vomit blood and have bloody stool
- If absorbed into the blood stream can lower the blood pressure very rapidly which can damage the heart.
- Drinking Kerosene can damage the nervous system too. People will feel drowsy, depressed, headaches, feel drunk, weak, dizzy and staggering.
- Kerosene can burn the skin and cause irritation.
What to do if you accidentally drink kerosene?
- Get to the emergency immediately! Call 911 or have someone take you to the hospital. Do not try to vomit or drink water.
- Flush eyes with water if kerosene got into eye
- Wash area on skin where kerosene came in contact
- Get to a hospital if you feel dizzy or lightheaded after inhaling fumes.
Kerosene is a dangerous product that should be stored properly and away from the reach of children. My mom certainly learned her lesson and has been careful ever since.
Chemicals like kerosene and gasoline should not be stored inside the house because not only are they dangerous if inhaled or consumed but very flammable and ignites at the smallest spark.
If you live in a country where Kerosene is sold at the corner shop in unmarked containers, label your container properly. Store it in a safe place where a child cannot reach or get to it.
I am alive today but it could have been fatal. Yes, consuming kerosene can kill, a slow painful death. Don't mean to scare you but it is the truth.
© 2012 Carolee Samuda
More by this Author
The causes, symptoms and effects of pituitary dwarfism.
Down syndrome is a condition that is genetic and slows down mental and physical development. Statistics from the National Association for Down syndrome shows that one child out of every 691 has DS.
Want to know what Jamaica is known for? There are many things we are known for but here are the top ten.