How to Get Over a Funk
What The Funk?
Who hasn't ever been in a funk? The signs might not be obvious at first, but eventually you realize what's going on. You feel like life has sunk to another level. You just don't have the drive or motivation to do anything.
No matter what you attempt to do it feels like a struggle. You wonder if you might have a case of the blues. You just might. Or you could just be in a funk. Or possibly being in a funk is considered the blues to you. You might wonder, "How the funk did this happen?"
Funks could happen when you least expect them. They come from out of the blue. Possibly it's your brains way of letting you know to slow the funk down and allow it to rest a bit. Burn-out could cause a funk.
Excessive stress could bring on the funk. No one enjoys the funk. It's basically like carrying around a load of junk you'd rather stow away in a trunk.
To Funk or Not To Funk
There are different types of funks. They could be related to work, family, friends, relationships or even the weather. You ponder, shake your head and think, "What the funk is going on?"
The first most important step in getting over the funk is admitting you are in the funk mode. Have you ever admitted that you were in a funk and feel like total gunk? At one time or another we all have. Funky moods come and go. They are similar to hunks. A hunk doesn't last forever, his looks are bound to fade one day.
You could refer to a funk as depression, the blues, hormones or just a bad mood. Upon the acceptance of the funky mood disorder I suggest you do something to change it. Life is too short to be anything but happy and content.
No matter what life tosses at you there is always light at the end of the tunnel. You will survive. You are the only one who could get yourself out of a funky mood. I don't suggest depending on someone else to make you happy. Remember that you might have put the unk in funk, but you also have the power to push it aside and tell it to "funk off!"
The old saying "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" applies to everyone, not just mama. The funk has no age limitations. It could happen to any of us at any time. Even a child who is in a funk could make life chaotic for all around them.
The good news is that being in a funk is temporary. We learn from funks. It takes time, but with patience you could learn to appreciate your funky moods. They could actually be beneficial in one way or another. If there's something you don't want to do or someone you don't want to see just tell them you are in a funk and most likely they will give you some space.
Funks aren't all that bad. It's okay to wallow in self-pity and comfort yourself once in a while. This is our way of protecting our emotions. It's not okay to lash out on someone else due to your funky mood. As a matter of fact that's just funked up! Think before you speak or act. The repercussions might not be worth it in the long run.
Show some spunk, don't be a punk and let that funk win. Just say "funk it!"
Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc
How to Get De-Funked
- Just say NO! You don't have to do everything whenever someone requests your assistance. You will not be penalized if you think of yourself sometimes.
- Retail therapy! Treat yourself to something nice. Spend within your limits. Credit card debt could cause a funk in itself. A new blouse or pair of shoes could lift your mood, if only temporary, but it's a start!
- Take a vacation from life. Whether by reading a book, watching a movie or spending an evening away from home. Of course if it's in your budget and you could take a Mediterranean cruise by all means go right ahead!
- Adopt a pet. Having a furry, adorable creature to shower with love could help alleviate a funk. They offer unconditional love to their owners.
- Join an online support group if you are facing a difficult challenge. There are support groups for almost everything under the sun! You would have the opportunity to make new friends. You could also help others which is a funk reliever in itself.
- Begin a new hobby. When your heart is fulfilled with an action that brings you joy your elation shines outward and becomes contagious.
- Exercise. I can not emphasize how vital a workout is. Burning calories release endorphins which aides in boosting your happy mood. 30 minutes a day is all that's needed to feel good mentally and look good physically. In return when you look good you feel good. It's a win-win situation.
- Plan something that you could look forward to. Whether it's a dinner party, a picnic in the park, a get together with family or friends.
- De-clutter your life. Out with the old and in with the new. Regardless if it's people or things. Clutter effects our way of thinking. It's baggage that weighs us down. The less clutter in your life, chances are the better your mood will be.
- Always remember that someone somewhere is thinking of you and wishes you only the best. They might not share this with you for one reason or another, but relish those feel good moments.
- Write a letter to your funk. When we write things down and empty our mind, our spirits get lifted which in fact, could get you over a funk.
- If all else fails I suggest getting drunk to get rid of your funk. Granted it might be temporary, but hopefully you will have a good time.
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Disclaimer: Only a medical professional could supply an accurate diagnosis.
If your mood is a daily occurrence and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon a visit to your doc is probably in order.
Side note: To all my amazing friends and family who have ever been in a funk...I wish for you more sunshine-filled days and less funky ones.
You are awesome and that someone who is sending you feel good vibes is most likely me! Keep on shining!
Message To The Funk
Have you ever experienced a funk?See results without voting
If You Need a Good Cry You Could Listen to Sad Songs
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
There are a multitude of reasons to smile. As we all know a smile turns a frown upside down, so why not make some one smile today and every day...
The reasons to be happy are infinite. I've compiled 101 reasons for this list. We all have unique reasons that make our hearts super happy, feel free to add your reasons. Keep on shining!
The year 1966 included the ongoing war in Vietnam, music by the Beatles and the Beach Boys, the Salvation Army turning 100 years old and Halle Berry and Cindy Crawford were born...