How To Help Someone Stop Smoking
As A Non-Smoker Do You Feel Like You Are Walking On Eggshells To Support A Smoker To Stop Smoking??
The Best Thing To Ask A Smoker Is...
"What can I do to support you?"
You might be surprised at the answers that you get.
Things that DON'T WORK When Trying To Support a Smoker to Stop Smoking
- Telling a smoker that smoking is not good for them.....like "duh"... they know that.
- It won't help to take away or throw away their cigarettes...that will just make them cranky.
- Having them quit for you....the smoker needs to quit for themselves. If they quit for you, what happens the first time they get annoyed with you ....yes! They smoke to spite you.
- Rationing or cutting down cigarettes. Cigarettes then become more precious and now they are a reward and the addiction becomes more intense even if they are smoking fewer cigarettes.
- Bribing them with a car or big gifts. They will get the gifts or win the bet and then go back to smoking.
- Making them feel "less than" will just make them smoke more.
Take A Look At How Much This Smoker Has To Go Through To Have A Break At Work
Most Smokers Will Tell You Why They Love Smoking and Why They Need To Smoke!
- I need it to concentrate
- It is my best friend
- It helps me relax
- It gives me "a break"
These are just what they think cigarettes are doing, but there is another truth that you can discover and help the smoker find what will really motivate them to stop smoking.
Ask The Smoker-- What Was The Reason That They Started Smoking?
The Top Three Reasons That Most People Start Smoking Are:
- Peer Pressure/It was in their environment
- To Rebel
- To Look Older
Now Ask Why Are They Considering Stopping Smoking
Usually People will tell you the reason that they started smoking is now the same reason in reverse that they want to quit.
For Instance if someone started for peer pressure they are now being pressured to stop smoking by their kids and grandchildren.
Or If someone started smoking to look older -- NOW they are stopping because they don't want to get more wrinkles and look older.
The Way We Do Anything Is The Way We do Everything
If something motivated us one time it will motivate us again. So If you find out that a smoker started for peer pressure then peer pressure will work to help them quit!
If the smoker started to looked older, then the fear of looking older will be a motivator to help them quit!
So all you have to do to find the motivator to help them quit smoking is ask What was the reason you started smoking in the very beginning.
Lela Bryan Has Been Teaching Smokers And Chewers How to Quit Ever Since She Stopped Smoking in 1978
Lela is the founder of Nicotine Solutions. Lela and Stephanie Eldringhoff, a psychologist, collaborated in order to help non-smokers understand how to support a loved one to stop smoking or chewing.
You Need To Turn The Focus On Yourself When You Want Someone Else To Change!
The First 3 Tips have to do with Changing YOUR energy
- Three thumps on the collar bone --tap with all fingers 5 to 10 times
- Tap On the breast bone
- Tap Under the breast bone
- Tap under the Arm
Tap 5 to 10 times on both sides . This helps when you are dealing with frustrating situations.
Tip 2. Focus On Your Own Self And Do The Hook Up
- Put Your middle finger in the belly button and push in and pull up
- Put your other hand in between your eyebrow and push in and pull up
When you connect both of these ares it helps you settle down and pause
Tip 3. This Is An East Indian technique called the Mudra
- Rub your hands and then shake them
- Put the flat of the palms on top of each other on your heart
- Slip out of thinking and listen to the wisdom of your heart
- Take 10 breaths
More Tips for a non-smoker to support a smoker to stop smoking
Tip 4. Ask yourself what small action can I take today that I can start living from my heart
- The free audio tapes at the bottom of this Hub go into more details and examples
Tip 5. What am I avoiding feeling or doing by focusing on the smoker
- What do you need to do to focus on yourself
- Lead by example
- If you are working harder than the smoker for them to quit smoking it won't work
Tip 6. Concentrate on What Works
- Start a gratitude journal
- Write down 1 to 5 things that you are grateful for every day
- At the end of the day review what you are grateful for
Learn How To Release Any Judgments You Have About Smokers And Chewers
It is not going to get the smoker any closer to stop smoking when you judge or make rude or disrespectful comments about their smoking. In fact it usually makes the smoker nervous and they smoke more.
Stephanie walks you through a technique that you will get for free in the third audio on how to release judgments and replace them with love and respect.
She teaches a support group that covers:
- Listening skills
- How to inquire effectively without interrogation
- Managing anxiety
- Acting from Your strenghts
Gifts For Smokers
Most smokers WANT to stop smoking, they just don't know how. Most smokers have a lot of fears about quitting smoking.
Here are a few common excuses smokers say about quitting smoking:
- I don't want to gain weight
- What will I do for stress
- I enjoy smoking
- It is my only vice
- How will I take a break
- It's my best friend
- It gives me a break
- I can't relax without my cigarette
- I'll give up the last 5 years of my life if I can have my cigarettes now
- I can't imagine life without cigarettes
- I can't concentrate without my cigarettes
Under all those fears they really do want to stop smoking.
So for the smoker in your life on their next birthday or Christmas give them a gift certificate to Nicotine Solutions. They can attend a free informational meeting before the class starts to experience what the classes are like and ask any questions.
Here is a tip - Don't pay for the whole program because the smoker needs to have some investment! You don't want to work harder or be more committed than the smoker.
You can give me a call if you want to talk or you can call Stephanie. We are here to help.
More by this Author
How long have your last attempts of quitting smoking lasted on The Great American Smokeout? Do something different this year. Instead of going cold turkey with no preparation try getting prepared to quit. Quitting...
Ideas of how you can reward yourself (without smoking) These are some ideas of rewards!!! Grow your own flowers! Pet your dog or cat or talk to them ..they do understand! ...
What happens when you quit smoking (going "cold turkey" or with methods such as Chantix, Zyban, hypnosis, acupuncture, or nicotine patches), and how to avoid or alleviate the side effects.