How To Loose Body Fat And Reduce Stomach Fat Easily
Obesity manifests itself not only as an increase in body fat all over but in increased concentration around the stomach, waist, hips and thighs. It is mainly due to a combination of 2 factors - irresponsible eating habits leading to an excess intake of calories over expenditure and a lifestyle with hardly any exercise. Though other causes like genetics and certain illnesses are also at play indiscriminate eating and sedentary lifestyle are the main reasons.
This does not mean that all is lost for those with excess fat. With some changes in eating habits and lifestyle one can reduce tummy fat as well as reduce body fat over all. If you are one of those who have been thinking how to reduce body fat or if you are one of those who have not yet tried reducing stomach fat, thinking it is very difficult, then rest assured, it is not as difficult as you think.
All that is needed is a positive attitude and approach and a firm resolve, to change eating habits and do some exercise regularly. Following these guidelines will most definitely reduce body fat as well as stomach fat but you must promise yourself to do follow these suggestions regularly.
So before I get down to the nitty gritty of how you can reduce stomach fat and body fat, peruse some facts.
Risks Of Excess Stomach Fat
- Fat first goes into the liver resulting in fatty liver. Then it starts accumulating as stomach fat and later on it settles down on the hips and thighs.
- Stomach fat as opposed to fat on the hips and thighs has a more detrimental effect on heart health.
- Even when one is of normal weight but has a protuding stomach, it should ring a warning bell.
Side Effects Of Stomach Fat And Some Abdominal Exercises
It must be understood that ignoring stomach fat by even people with normal weight is a big mistake. Medical studies have proved that such people are at increased risk for type 2 diabetes. Not only this, the risk for heart disease and liver cancer is increased. This is because fat first goes into the liver and then around the stomach, before it can be exhibited in the rest of the body.
This is the reason that inspite of being in the normal weight range the belly is the first to reveal the accumulated fat visually in the form of a protuded belly.
It must be understood that if you are diagnosed with fatty liver on an ultra sound test then be forewarned that this is an indication of increase in abdominal fat a while later.
Another warning sign is an increase in the waist size as compared to the hip size.
Fatty liver is caused in two types of people
- Those who drink too much alcohol.
- Those who eat a lot of fried and fatty foods.
You may wonder if this means staying away from junk food and alcohol reduces stomach fat? Not really! Doctors say exercise also plays a very important part in reducing fat. If one is short on time for regular exercise one can indulge in some physical activities like brisk walking everyday or taking a flight of stairs instead of taking an elevator, etc.
Dieticians and wellness trainers believe that diet plays a much bigger role than exercise in reducing stomach fat. So, the focus should first be on eating a correct diet.
Say No To This
Criss Cross cycling
Criss Cross Cycling
One can use a home exercise cycle everyday for 15 minutes in the morning and then again for the same time in the evening. If you do not have an exercise cycle, you can lie on the floor on your back and perform cycling motions with both legs.
Also perform double crunches. Lie down on the floor on your back. Raise your legs and bend them at the knees. Interlock your fingers behind your head by bending the arms. Now raise your upper torso and bend at the waist while trying to take the forehead as close to the knees as possible and simultaneously bringing the knees closer to the head as shown in the video alongside.
Do this morning and evening, 15 minutes each time. Also do push ups for 15 minutes.
Following this routine regularly for one month will yield noticeable results.
Yoga To Reduce Stomach Fat - Pawan Muktasana
Yoga practitioners believe that to reduce stomach fat one must perform Pawan Muktasana. It is not very difficult.
Sarpasana (Serpent Pose)
Yoga To Reduce Stomach Fat - Sarpasana
Women who face the problem of excess abdominal fat after childbirth should perform Serpent pose (Sarpasana). This asana should be performed at least 3 months after delivery and after consulting a doctor.
Yoga not only shapes up the body but also makes one strong mentally.
Follow The Following For A Month And See Results
- Eat salads before meals. It reduces the amount of food consumed
- Do not drink water with meals. Drink water 1/2 hour after meals.
- Control salt intake to just 1 tsp a day.
- Consume 3 -5 tsp of sugar in a day.
- Do not lie down or go to sleep immediately after taking meals.
- Take a brisk walk for 30 minutes daily early in the morning. This is the best way to reduce stomach fat.
- Stop consuming soda drinks and alcohol.
- Consume 1400 calories a day, of which, 500 calories should be got from fruits and vegetables.
Cut Out Junk Food From Your Diet
Naukasana To Reduce Stomach Fat
Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist)
Reduce Stomach Fat With Exercise
- Do not sit crouched in the chair. Sit straight to lessen the chances of increasing fat around the abdomen.
- While being seated in the chair, raise both arms over the head. Then slowly bend forward and take your head as close to your knees while trying to touch the floor with your fingers or palms depending on how flexible your body is. Do this 8 -10 times. Perform 2-3 rounds of this.
Perform this an hour before meals or a few hours after meals.
- Yoga asanas like Pawan Muktasana, Naukasana and Ardha Matsyendrasana can be performed.
- Women can do sarpasana after 3 months of delivery after consulting their doctor.
Diet To Reduce Stomach Fat
- Flour made of mixture of wheat, barley, soyabean and black gram. Eat brown rice.
- Grapes, oranges, tomatoes and zizyphus. Drink lemon juice in water, pomegranate juice, sweet lime juice and carrot juice.
- Everyday drink 2 cups of green tea, one in the morning and the other in the evening. You can drink black coffee if you prefer.
- Consume cabbage, carom seeds, spinach, soyabeans and flaxseed.
Do not consume:
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some of my other hubs on health topics
- Sodas And Carbonated Drinks - Why Does It Not Quench Your Thirst?
It has become very common to reach out for a cola or a fizzy drink when we are thirsty or during hot weather, hoping that they will quench our thirst, refresh and cool us. But do they really do what they are supposed to do? To find out, read on...
- Why Take Vitamin D ? The 5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Vitamin D - The Sunshine Vitamin
Vitamin D has been a very underrated vitamin. Research studies now show that the health benefits of vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, extend to many life threatening and life crippling diseases as well. To know more, read on...
- Healthy Water - The Benefits Of Alkaline Water And The Oxidation Reduction Potential Of Water
A acid condition of the body is the cause of sickness. To learn about the benefits of alkaline water and how it affects our health, read on...
- The Health Benefits Of Magnesium
Magnesium is a macro mineral that is involved in over 300 essential metabolic reactions in our body, most of us are deficient in magnesium. To know, the magnitude of importance of this mineral and how its deficiency affects our body, read on...
Does Fat make You Fat?
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Water is universally available but have you considered how important it is to good health? Want to know why? Then read on...
Alum has long been used to clear the turbidity in water. Besides its many other uses it also provides some health benefits. Read on to know more about them...
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the "Running Food" was much used by the ancient Aztec and Mayan people not only as a food but for its amazing benefits.