How To Lose Weight Calories
In How To Lose Weight, Calories Do Play A Role
How many of us ask the question: How to Lose Weight? Calories unfortunately still play a role in weight loss despite all we know. The equation that you have to use more calories that you consume to lose weight still holds fast. Only with a combined effort of eating a healthy, calorie controlled, diet and a healthy exercise routine will help you lose all that excess weight and get rid of all the fat and cellulite.
Unfortunately there is no quick fix, if you want to lose weight you will have to work at it. There are ways, though, that you can eat right without having to count the calories.
Apart from a healthy diet exercise is important. You do not have to be worried about that though as a brisk walk of about 30 minutes every day will be enough to speed up the fat burning process.
1. A good healthy calorie controlled diet
A good healthy calorie controlled diet is actually very easy and you only have to watch your portion sizes and eat the right kind of foods. Take care not to add calories with the cooking of the food. Any fat or oil or butter etc. has to be taken from your daily allowance of fat portions. Steam vegetables and grill your meat or dry fry them and they will still be very tasty.
When you are trying to lose weight your non-stick pan is your biggest friend! It is not necessary to weigh your food, weights are only given to give you an indication of portion sizes as we have become so used to huge portions, we do not know a proper portion size any more.
These dietery tips are for women, Man need to eat eight portions of starch, four portions of protein and fruit five portions of fat. For the rest the eating plan is suitable for men as well.
2. This is more or less what you have to eat, if you are very active add some extra carbs and if you do resistance training adding one protein portion is a good
- Eat five small portions of carbohydrates a day. A small portion is for instance a 1oz. slice of bread, 3oz. of boiled potato and 3oz. of cooked rice or any such kind of starch. Give preference to whole grains as they fill you up more and your body burns more calories digesting them. Whole grains also provide the fiber your body needs to stay regular, a frequent problem when you are on a diet.
- You must have a t least five portions of green and yellow vegetables a day. A portion is about 4oz. Do not eat more than one portion pumpkin and sweet potatoes have to be counted as a starch. You also have to go slow on peas as they contain a lot of starch. All pulses must be counted as either a starch or a protein as they contain both and are very good for you.
- Eat at least three small and lean portions of protein a day. You have to judge the portion by the amount of fat in the food. A portion of chicken breast for instance is a good idea and you can eat a bigger portion than when you are having a thigh. Remember that red meat contains a lot of fat amongst the fibers and you should go slow on red meat. Try not to have more than three portions of red meat a week and keep them small, about the size of your palm. As pulses are low fat you can have about a 4oz. cooked portion.
- Have about three small portions of fruit a day. A fruit portion is the normal size fruit usually comes in. An apple, a small slice of melon, an orange etc. Once again go slow on bananas. Do not eat more than one small banana (2oz.) a day. Fruit juice is very concentrated and is not a good idea while you are trying to lose weight.
- Do not cut out dairy completely, use about two small portions of dairy a day. Use fat free yoghurt, milk and cheese. Limit hard cheese because of the fat. Your dairy products include milk taken in coffee and tea. One cup of fat free milk is a portion and about a third cup of fat free, unsweetened yoghurt is a portion. About 1oz. low fat cheese is a portion.
- It is also important not to cut out fat completely. Your body needs fat in order to be able to absorb the fat soluble vitamins and therefore you need to consume at least two portions of fat a day. About one teaspoonful of olive oil, butter or any other fat is a portion. Keep in mind that you can also use small amounts of mayonnaise as a fat portion. You can use about two tablespoons of low fat mayonnaise as a fat portion.
- When you are trying to lose weight, it is best to avoid alcohol as it contains lots of empty calories that can really hamper your weight loss. On occasion you can replace a starch and a fat with one drink. Keep it for special occasions only.
- Drink lots of water to help your body get rid of all the toxins and the re-hydrate. It is good to drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
If you keep to these guidelines you will cut down on calories and lose weight. So, in how to lose weight, calories are still important if only part of the story. Try not to consume any "empty" calories and make things difficult for yourself.
How To Lose Weight, Calories Can Be Burnt With Exercise
As we have seen above, in how to lose weight, calories do play an important role. Following a healthy balanced calorie controlled diet is only part of the picture though. You can burn even more calories if you do moderate exercise. It is important to remember though, never to start an exercise program without first consulting your doctor to make sure there is not a problem.
Which exercises burn calories, and therefore fat, the fastest?
There is no easy answer to this question. To start with, cardio burns fat the fastest as it uses more calories while you are exercising. On the other hand though, building muscle is a good idea as muscle burns more calories than fat, even when you sleep. By building muscle you speed up your metabolism.
Keeping this in mind, a combined program will give you the best results in the long run. Joining a gym and following a balanced program is the ideal. This is not always possible for all of us. You may not have the time or the funds for a gym.
If you cannot join a gym, here are a few tips to get you moving:
- Walking. Never under estimate a brisk walk. Find a place where you can walk safely for at least half an hour a day. The fresh air will do you good; you will get some good cardio and burn quite a few calories to speed up your weight loss.
- Cycling is another very good option if you enjoy it. Try and go for a long ride at least three times a day.
- Another source of exercise most of us overlook is chores. Do your cleaning and gardening with energy and you will burn lots of calories without noticing it.
- Join a sports club, you'll make friends and get some exercise, once again burning those calories.
- Play with the kids. Kicking a ball with the kids or simply wrestling with them is better exercise than you would think.
- Always make a point of climbing the stairs instead of using the lift.
- Carrying your parcels after shopping is some very good resistance training helping to build muscle. Also walk to the shop if at all possible.
As you can see, grab any activity as an opportunity to get some exercise. Do everything with lots of energy and you will be surprised at how many calories you can burn with your everyday activities.
So, to recap, in how to lose weight, calories can be burnt with exercise and by eating sensibly you can also cut down on calories without going hungry. Losing weight this way will give you the best results in the long run. Losing weight takes perseverance and dedication but, the prize, a trim body and better health is well worth the trouble.
Easiest Way To Lose Weight
What so you think will be the easiest way to lose weightSee results without voting
Failure And Diet - How Not To Fail During The Holidays
With all the holidays coming, maybe we should look at Failure And Diet. It is so easy for us to fail at our weight loss efforts in these times. A lot of motivation and some good common sense are needed to make it during the holidays.
Your failure and diet problems can be solved:
- First of all have a look again at the eating out tips I gave you in a previous post. It is also important not to have an "all or nothing" attitude on the special days. Try to eat moderately, but still eat a little of all the nice food on offer. On Thanksgiving and Christmas for instance, eat with the family, simply watch your portions and keep them moderate. If you try and stick to a strict diet on these days you will feel deprived and you will be more likely to binge afterwards.
- Do not try and save up for these days. If you try to eat too little you will get hungry and that may be the start of yet another binge. Eat your normal allowance on the other days or save up only a little if you want to.
- Try and work off some of the extra calories by being a little more active. Go for a walk if the weather permits and engage in some other activities that you enjoy. If you love dancing, well this is your opportunity to go crazy on the dance floor!
- Drink enough water to help your body get rid of the toxins.
- Go slow on the other drinks, remember, alcohol lowers your resistance and may cause you to eat too much.
- Beware of the hidden calories in fruit juice and in other sweet drinks.
- Even though sodas are not a good idea, rather drink a low cal soda drink than many of the other sugary options.
- Above all, concentrate on enjoying the company and do not think about the eating too much. If you concentrate on the food all the time, you are also more likely to overeat.
So, during the holidays, with a little effort, you can still stay on track with your weight loss efforts and failure and diet does not have to be a problem.
More by this Author
When you are starting a prayer group you have to know how you are going to conduct the prayer group and what your prayer group activities are going to be.
Looking at a homemade water filtration using charcoal and sand can be a very good way to get clear, clean house water. As the need for clean water grows so will the need for water filters. Making a Homemade Charcoal...
Here are some top tips on how to lose leg fat.