How To Stop Yourself From Taking That First Drink Of Alcohol After Surrendering To Your Addiction
How to stop yourself from taking that first drink of alcohol after surrendering to your addiction is a very hard thing in many peoples lives. The temptation to drink after you have been sober for so long will come about you many times during your recovery and possibly be with you for ever.
For myself, those temptations and urges to drink came over me many times and believe me it is a very scary thing. The reason I say scary is that I know as well as many people know if they have been sober for any length of time and that urge to drink hits we know that one drink will set us off to drinking and abusing alcohol just as we did before we stopped drinking and became clean and sober.
The question is, how do we stop ourselves from picking up that first drink that will lead to many more during the next hours and just maybe everyday thereafter.
DON'T EVER LET THEM CATCH YOU AGAIN
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU PICK UP THAT FIRST DRINK
HERE ARE A FEW THINGS I THINK ABOUT WHEN THE URGE TO DRINK COMES OVER ME:
- I think about how hard it was to stop drinking alcohol in the first place.
- I think of all the pain and suffering I went through when I stopped drinking.
- I think of what I put my family and friends through while I was abusing alcohol.
- I think of all the wasted money I spent on alcohol, when the money should of been for my wife and children.
- I think of a how hard it was to stop drinking in the first place and to live a life of sobriety.
- I think of all the times I felt like crap each morning.
- I think of my physical appearance and how fat I got from drinking to much.
- I think of the four years I have been sober and how my body worked so hard to cleanse itself and get all the poison out of my system.
- I think to myself just how disappointed I would be of myself if I were to take that first drink.
- ONE DRINK IS ONE TOO MANY FOR A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC.
DO YOU EVER GET THE URGE?
HAVE YOU EVER SUFFERED WITH THE URGE TO DRINK ALCOHOL AFTER BEING SOBER FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIMESee results without voting
WASTED YEARS OF SOBRIETY IF YOU TOUCH THAT FIRST DRINK
If you pick up that first drink while being sober, and in recovery, just imagine all the years of sobriety that would be wasted. Sure your body has been sober, and you have given your body time to heal, but taking that first drink of alcohol and possibly more after that one will ruin everything you worked so hard to have and that is your sobriety.
Your body heals itself if you have not abused it to the point of no return, so why in the world would you ruin it with that one drink. The temptation to drink alcohol will pass just as it came, BUT you have to be strong enough to say the BIG WORD "NO" I will not drink and will not let the demons take back over my life.
If you are not strong enough to say NO I will not drink that first drink, then you just may have a huge problem heading your way and that is you will be right back to drinking alcohol just as you were before you got sober.
I know for a fact that if I put alcohol to my lips just one time I would be doomed for sure and I know that so that is why I stay clear of the poison that almost once ruined everything I had in my life.
Why torture yourself with that little taste of alcohol that will take right over your life once again?
THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK
Yes, you need to think before you take that first drink after being sober for so long.
- Think long and hard of what you are about to do yourself, and others that love and care for you.
- Think of how hard it was to get where you are now with your life being sober.
- Think of how you will feel if you let your past demons back into your life again.
- Think of how disappointed you will be of yourself the next morning when you wake up and know you were beat by your demons once again.
LONG TERM SOBRIETY
BEAT THE DEMONS - BEAT THAT TEMPTATION TO DRINK
All of us that have had an addiction to alcohol get those urges to drink once and awhile, but we all need to be strong enough to say NO to our demons that ran our lives for so long.
We will get those urges or temptations to drink alcohol if something really gets us upset, or your life just isn't going the way you would like it to go, but we need to be strong and get through whatever it is that is upsetting us and not turn to alcohol to think it will make things all better because it WILL NOT!
So in my opinion and what I think of when I get that urge to drink is to think of what I would be losing if I were to have that first drink of alcohol. What I would destroy, meaning making everything I did to get and stay sober be in vein.
Be strong and stand up to the demons that once ran your life and the lives of the people that love and care for you and your life.
PEACE AND SERENITY
More by this Author
Here is feeling lost and empty after an alcoholic stops drinking alcohol and my story and thoughts on just how I got through the torture. I call this torture because alcohol was my life, my best friend, and something I...
A look into the mind of an alcoholic to see how we think and live our lives with an addiction.
So you own a home and the upstairs is just not enough living space for you and then you realize that you have a full basement below full of all the stuff you have in storage.