How To Use Fear To Break Your Barriers To Success
What Is A Champion?
"Champions are people with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them. They are a bit unrealistic in how they see life, as they don’t reason with reality. They make the impossible happen and never considered it impossible.”
- Grant Cardone
The Value of Fear
How can you take fear and turn it into something of value? What are your fears about taking your business or life to the next level? Who are you afraid of reaching out to that could literally propel your career or situation into the stratosphere?
The big question is what can fear teach you?
That in of itself is the first lesson. Fear is a very primitive emotion and sensation. It's part of the fight or flight mechanism. It's in your DNA.
Considering we don't have to kill a wild boar to survive, what has become of fear in our society?
And considering that we're human, that we don't have to function strictly on instinct, can fear be a tool?
Let's take a look at fear and discus how to use fear to launch yourself to another stage in the game of life!
First, let's define it. According to Dictionary.com.
1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid. Synonyms: foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. Antonyms: courage, security, calm, intrepidity.
2. a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights. Synonyms: phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear. Antonyms: liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.
3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
4. reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. Synonyms: awe, respect, reverence, veneration.
5. something that causes feelings of dread or apprehension; something a person is afraid of: Cancer is a common fear.
Now, while we're at it, what does Physcology Today have for us on fear:
Fear is a vital response to physical and emotional danger—if we didn't feel it, we couldn't protect ourselves from legitimate threats. But often we fear situations that are far from life-or-death, and thus hang back for no good reason. Traumas or bad experiences can trigger a fear response within us that is hard to quell. Yet exposing ourselves to our personal demons is the best way to move past them.
So for the remainder of this article we will not bring up "personal demons" again. What's important here is that we acknowledge that we often fear situations and exchanges that are not life-or-death and we often "hang back" when in reality, charging ahead would actually have a tremendous benefit for us.
Fear In Business
In Grant Cardone's book, The Closer's Survival Guide, Grant talks about that experiencing fear could very well mean there's something you don't know.
When you don't know what do do, how to do it and/or are not clear on how to respond when "x" happens, you become fearful.
Fearful of what?
- Fearful of loss?
- Fearful of not gaining or getting?
- Do you become fearful of looking stupid?
- Do you fear having to admit what you don't know?
What would happen if you were able to use fear to propel you forward instead of allowing it to hold you back?
Read that again and notice the challenge you just received. If you accept the last statement as truth, then you have to accept responsibility for allowing fear to hold you back.
What about in selling? That's the critical part of business. If you're not transacting, your dead.
So how do you sell? Are you selling from confidence or selling from fear?
Take the quiz below to find out...
Are you selling from confidence or selling from fear?
If you find that...
If you find that you are selling more from fear then confidence, than the next question/challenge is:
What specifically can you do immediately to make sure you are completely confident in not only your company and your product or service, but in your ability to deliver on the value that your company brings to the market?
Let's look at a few things you can do today to bridge the gap between confidence and fear.
- Treat every customer like your Aunt Rose.
- Know your product like your own name.
- Know that you deliver far more value than the price.
- Make sure all processes make it easy for the customer to do business with you.
When you start here, you will soon find yourself selling from a place of confidence and anytime you lose security and slip back into fear, you simply need to comeback here and review this checklist.
How To Overcome Fear & Insecurity
Fear in Life
Fear in life first of all is normal. We all experience it. The question is, are you going to allow it to stop you from your dreams and your goals?
Take a look at Felix Baumgartner’s supersonic skydive from 23 miles up. Was he scared? If he wasn't "scared," even a little bit, then let me be the first to name him a complete whack-job.
So while we will not be jumping from a balloon lofted space capsule sponsored by an energy drink, what real life Felix Baumgartner moments do you have? And also notice, that Felix really had only one way to get down.
Success lies just beyond you being willing to consistently do what you are afraid to do and also being willing to have only one way down.
In The 10x Rule, you'll learn how to use fear as the sign post of the road of life to know whether or not you're going in the right direction. Moving towards success in all areas of life.
How would you like to be able to use fear to your advantage instead of allowing fear to hold you back?
Success and abundance and in all areas of life is noble.
- Would Charlie Brown have been different had he actually talked to that little red haired girl?
- Despite the odds and everyone telling him no, Steve Jobs made the iPhone anyway
- The pilgrims the landed on Plymouth Rock went in spite of fear and because of fear but more importantly to live the life they knew to be right
- Did Bruce Lee leave a legacy beyond fear?
Fear will present itself no matter what happens. The choice for you is decide if it's going to stop you from creating the life you want and deserve or are you going to use fear to propel you into greatness.
Ultimately the choice belongs to you and so do the consequences of your decision.
- How to Break Through Fear and Self-Doubt | Entrepreneur.com
Sales pro Grant Cardone with five tips to stay confident when insecurity strikes.
- How You Can Stop An Anxiety Attack In One Minute
Anxiety Anxiety. What is it and where did it come from? What are the symptoms of a Panic Attack? Anxiety can cause you to feel short of breath. Your stomach gets tight. Heart rate sky rockets. Hands get cold. Feeling dog tired. Diarrhea maybe? Tingli
- Living In Courage & Bruce Lee
“Defeat is a state of mind. No one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as reality. To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary, and its punishment is but an urge for me to greater effort to achieve my goal. Defeat simply tells me that s
More by this Author
Kettlebells + Calisthenics = Killer Workout Body weight training or calisthenics can give you one hell of a workout. But when you add Kettlebell training to the mix, all bets are off. Body weight training programs...
Was something left out of "The Secret by Rhonda Byrne?" Is there more to the law of attraction? Is there a missing ingredient? Is there something Rhonda Byrne left out? Is there a secret to The Secret? In...
If you're an automotive sales professional who has found themselves charged with handling internet leads then this Hub is for you. If you work online with customers via the internet and email, then some of the tips...