How to boost your immune system to fight cancer and aging
The Immune System
Most of the health problems that lead to serious illness is associated with weak or poor immune system. Immune System is a network of special cells, tissues and organs that works together to defend the body against microbes-tiny organisms such as bacteria, parasites and fungi that can cause infections. The human body is an ideal environment for many microbes. It is the immune system in most cases that does the great job in fighting and protecting the people from these microorganisms to keep our body healthy.
As shown in the picture, the key primary lymphoid organs of the immune system are thymus and bone marrow, and secondary lymphatic tissues such as spleen, tonsils, lymph vessels, lymph nodes, adenoids, and skin.
Immune system's health is very important. When the immune system is weak it unleash a torrent of disorders that result to diseases that may be life threatening. Some common diseases of the immune system are asthma, allergies, anemia, hepatitis, diabetes mellitus type 1, rheumatoid arthritis, leukemia and other infections of the lymphatic system which when left untreated or recurring may lead to a more serious disease like cancer.Therefore, it is very important that we take care of our immune system. There are several ways to build immune system.
Having a proper and balanced diet is key in making our
body healthy. Our body needs nourishment to fight free radicals that
destroys the cells of human body. A balanced diet is to have a correct
proportions of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, mineral salt, vitamins
and fiber. Including vegetables, fruits and fiber in our daily meal
will help boost our immune system. Eating fish at least 3 times a week
is good for the heart thus reduce the risk of having a heart disease. For people who wants to reduce weight, taking quick weight loss diet or weight loss program is unhealthy. A balanced diet is necessary for a healthy immune system.
Shape up with regular exercise. As what the doctors say, regular exercise is a critical part of staying healthy. A recent study showed that maintaining a regular exercise through middle age can delay biological aging by 12 years. In addition, exercise strengthens the heart and lungs, making them function more efficiently. It lowers the risk of diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, stroke and even depression among elderly adults.Exercise improves one's mental capacity and ability to withstand stress, leading to a higher degree of mental alertness and better work performance. It enables one to sleep well. All these leads to greater sense of self confidence and self esteem.
Have enough amount of sleep and rest. At least 7 hours per night of uninterrupted rest is minimum needed for most people for good health. This is based on the study conducted with cancer patients. Best survival rates were among those who got at least 7 hours sleep per night.It is during the night that the damaged tissues of the body is being repaired and being strengthened thus building up health and energy reserves. Some of these restoring occurs during the day as well, but significant repairs and tissue building occur only during sleep.
Control or manage stress. It is important to understand that stress is indeed detrimental to our body. It is the source of illnesses, fatigue, unhappiness and even failures when unmanaged. Knowing the source of your stress and learning some techniques of relaxation and managing your stress will open the gateway towards a happier life.
Living in today's stressful world, where we are surrounded by air pollution, toxic substances,unhealthy lifestyle such as smoking ,alcohol and the like, our body needs protection to fight these free radicals. And this where the antioxidants come into the rescue.
Supreme immune boosters are antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that may protect cells from the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. Free radical damage may lead to cancer. Antioxidants interact with and stabilize free radicals and may prevent some of the damage free radicals might otherwise cause.
The amount of antioxidants in your body is directly proportional to how
long you will live."
said, Dr. Richard Cutler, former Director of the National Institute of Aging, Washington
Antioxidants come is the form of healthy eating or food supplements and vitamins. These are abundant in fruits and vegetables, as well as in other foods including nuts, grains, and some meats, poultry, and fish. The list below describes food sources or natural sources of common antioxidants.
- Beta-carotene is found in many foods that are orange in color, including sweet potatoes, carrots, cantaloupe, squash, apricots, pumpkin, and mangos. Some green, leafy vegetables, including collard greens, spinach, and kale, are also rich in beta-carotene.
- Lutein, best known for its association with healthy eyes, is abundant in green, leafy vegetables such as collard greens, spinach, and kale.
- Lycopene is a potent antioxidant found in tomatoes, watermelon, guava, papaya, apricots, pink grapefruit, blood oranges, and other foods.
- Selenium is a mineral, not an antioxidant nutrient. However, it is a component of antioxidant emzymes. Plant foods like rice and wheat are the major dietary sources of selenium in most countries.
- Vitamin A is found in three main forms: retinol (Vitamin A1), 3,4-didehydroretinol (Vitamin A2), and 3-hydroxy -retinol (Vitamin A3). Foods rich in vitamin A include liver, sweet potatoes, carrots, milk, egg yolks, and mozzarella cheese.
- Vitamin C is also called ascorbic, and can be found in high abundance in many fruits and vegetables and is also found in cereals, beef, poultry, and fish.
- Vitamin E, also known as alpha-tocopherol, is found in almonds, in many oils including wheat germ, safflower, corn, and soybean oils, and is also found in mangoes, nuts, broccoli, and other foods.
There are other natural vitamins like anti aging supplements and cancer supplements which may be good alternative cancer treatment. Further
research however said that Glutathione is the most powerful
antioxidant. Increasing the level of glutathione in our body will
naturally increase your energy, detoxify your body and strengthen the
immune system. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that glutathione
has the potential to fight almost any disease, particularly those
associated with aging.
- Antioxidant Supplements and Anti-Aging Vitamins Guide
- ConsumerLab.com Product Review: Supplements for Cancer Prevention (Green Tea, Lycopene, and Selenium
- NCI Cancer Bulletin - National Cancer Institute
NCI's biweekly online newsletter provides useful, timely information about cancer research to the cancer community.
More by this Author
Who will not be amazed with the enchanting voices of Filipino artists who page the fame in their singing careers in Hollywood and in the International world. Charice Pempengco in Hollywood The latest addition to...
I had a rewarding day last week when I accompanied my daughter during her educational trip. Every year, schools here in the Philippines organize educational trips for their students. One of the sites we visited was the...