How to Achieve Bright and Healthy Eyes
Many women will admit that their eyes are their best and most stunning feature. However, it can be a real downer to wake up and see tired-looking, dark and puffy eyes staring back at you in the mirror. A lot of people will attribute this to a lack of sleep, and although we'd all like some more of it, most times its just not possible. Luckily there are some very effective tips, tricks and techniques that you can employ to brighten your eyes and make them appear healthier.
Common causes of puffiness around the eyes are fluid retention and irritations to the eye. If, in your diet, you eat foods that contain a lot of sodium, your body will retain water to balance the salt content of your cells. This leads to puffiness of your skin, which is most noticeable in the tender skin of the eyes. In order to help this condition, it is adviseable to cut down on your sodium intake and drink plenty of water. While this last reccommendation may seem retrograde to your desires, it will help to flush your body of its high salt content and reduce puffiness.
Another reason your eyes can be puffy is an allergic reaction to any products you may use. Be very careful when selecting skin care products and eye make up so ensure it won't irritate your skin. Sleeping with your makeup on can also damage the health of your eyes, so you must remember to take it off before bed every night. It is reccommended that you replace your eye cosmetics, such as eye liner and mascara, regularly (at least once every six months) to avoid irritating your eyes with old, flaky makeup or bacteria. Additionally, while using skin care products such as face creams etc. do not use them on the area around your eyes, unless directed. Most facial products are not suited to the very delicate skin of your eyes, and applying such products can have an adverse effect on the health of your eyes. Cigarette smoke is another eye irritant to look out for, too.
So, how can we fix our dark and tired eyes? Follow these simple steps for brighter and healthier eyes.
1. Drink lots of water. Not only will this improve the general condition of your skin and health, but will also wash the excess sodium from your system and reduce puffiness around the eyes.
2. Remove your makeup every night before you go to bed. Leaving your make up on while sleeping will cause irritation to the eye, resulting in redness and puffiness. A product I'd recommend is Nutrimetics Gentle Eye Makeup Remover Lotion.
3. Use a eye cream or gel to enhance the appearance and health of your eye area. These products generally reduce puffiness, eliminate dark circles and hydrate the skin. Try Avon's Clinical Eye Lift, which has a gel for above your eye, and a cream for below.
4. Apply a good eye mask weekly. This will tone and improve the elasticity of the skin around your eye.
Additional tips include taking a Vitamin C supplement in order to remove excess water and aid the development of collagen in your body, placing steeped and wrung green tea bags over your eyes for 10 minutes and using an under-eye concealer based on pink pigments to disguise bags.
Do you believe that your eyes are your best feature?See results without voting
More by this Author
- 8How to Shape Your Eyebrows and Achieve the Perfect Eyebrow Shape at Home - Tips, Tricks, Tools and Know-How for Women!
Eyebrows are a commonly-overlooked feature of the face, however they can completely determine your look. Some women prefer to have pencil-thin eyebrows, or even draw them on. On the other hand, recent fashion trends...
So, you've decided to become a vegetarian eh? Congratulations on taking your very first step into making this world a better place! Some new vegetarians may be wondering how to change from a meat-eating diet to one that...
- 24Hairdressing How-To: Putting Foils in Hair—Tips, Tricks, Advice, and Know-How for Colouring Hair with Foils!
Do-it-yourself hairdressing foils: how to apply foils to highlight, bleach, color, exclude, and touch up the roots of your hair.