10 Steps on the Road to Happiness!
Be Positive and Look After Your Mental Health!
I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist but these are my thoughts on how to be happy and avoid the blues and have good mental health!
10 Tips to Stay Happy
- Have something in the future which you can look forward to. For instance it could be something like a holiday, a shopping spree, a trip somewhere or you could treat yourself to something online and then anticipate its arrival.
- Exercise keeps your body healthy and a healthy body is a contributory factor to a healthy mind. It doesn't cost anything to exercise, you don't have to go to the gym. You can play sport, jog, swim, cycle or dance - whatever takes your fancy. Exercise produces endorphins in your blood which are the happy chemicals that give a feeling of well being.
- Keep busy - It is often said of people who are depressed or stressed that they have "too much time to think". Keeping busy and focusing on other things acts as a distraction to keep the blues away.
- Try not to dwell on problems or you will end up becoming obsessed with them. Empty your mind and think of good things.
- Gardening - Tending to a garden and enjoying the beauty of nature is good for the soul. If you don't have a garden, you can visit the local park or countryside.
- Friends - Some of your friends may be good at listening, sympathetic and listen to any problems you may have. It is true that "a problem shared is a problem halved"
- Music - Easy listening or classical music provides solace.
- Comedy - Read a funny book, look at comedy on TV or a movie and laugh, after all laughter is supposed to be the best medicine!
- Help others - Helping others can make you feel good and help them at the same time.
- Follow your passions - You may have an interest, hobby or craft skill. If you are creative, this brings a great feeling of accomplishment when you make something.
I know this was supposed to a list of 10 tips, but here's another tip:
Instead of thinking "I am sad" or "I am depressed", instead externalize the depression and treat it as an outside entity and an enemy. And you can fight the enemy by being happy and not letting it get the better of you! It's just a different way of looking at things. I'm beginning to sound like Dr.Phil here, making common sense seem like a novel solution to problems!......
How Do You Get Out of a Depression? - Seeking Help
If you are seriously depressed, nothing may make you happy and everything seems bleak and dark and you feel you are in a hole from which you cannot escape. You might think what's the point in doing anything because nothing seems to bring any happiness into your life.
Try and seek help - Talk to someone who you can confide in. Visit your doctor and seek professional help. Clinical depression can be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain and often can be treated by medication or therapy.
Abraham Lincoln - A Quote
The other day, I spotted this quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln on Twitter and it sums up how being positive is one step on the road towards being happy
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" ~ Abraham Lincoln
So you can choose to be miserable, or make the most of the life you have been given.
More by this Author
Contacts lenses provide better quality of vision than glasses, and they also provide more freedom for physical activities. Here is my experience of contact lenses—the joys and the pitfalls!
Eczema is one of the most distressing skin conditions and afflicts children and adults alike. Theories exist about the causes of the disorder but these are by no means definite and eczema can flair at any time without...
A multimeter or DMM is a useful instrument in a home toolkit for measuring voltage, current and resistance and also for tracing breaks in wires, testing components and fuses.