How to Feed a Child With ADHD
Tips on how to feed a child with ADHD
Having a child diagnosed as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), I panicked because I don’t really know the implications of it to the general well being of my son. I am a working mom so I dreaded the fact that I don’t have enough time to take care of my child. I have seven children all in all, plus a job, so you must imagine the fear I have in dealing with it. My children are ages 3 to 18 years old. That is why I am so interested with this topic "Tips on How to Feed a Child with ADHD".
I researched a lot about what food to feed my ADHD child, he is seven years old. Clearly due to time constraint, I can hardly have time for myself how much more to a different diet plan for an ADHD child. I master the healthy diet planning and healthy foods for normal children but I have yet to master feeding the right food for my ADHD child.
I collaborate well with the doctor of my child and some researches from reputable sources to help me come up with advices and tips on how to feed a child with ADHD.
I am sharing with you some of doctors advice on what food to give an ADHD child. There are lots of reasons why a child develops such disorders. It is deemed a medical reason as the disorder inhibit’s the child from proper mental and development due to hyperactivity. In a sense children with ADHD cant calm down and they cant concentrate at the same time.
What is ADHD?
- According to resources ADHD is primarily characterized by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity, with each behavior occurring infrequently alone. It is the most commonly studied and diagnosed for children psychiatric disorder in children, affecting about 3 to 5% of children globally with symptoms starting before seven years of age. ADHD is a common chronic disorder in children with 30 to 50% of those individuals diagnosed in childhood continuing to have symptoms into adulthood. Adolescents and adults with ADHD tend to develop coping mechanism to compensate for some or all of their impairments.
- In recent years , "the phenomenon of ADHD has been said to be a by product of the foods that children eat, so it is deemed necessary to feed them with proper healthy foods, so to speak. “For some children, diet is suspected of playing a role in the multiple behavioral and cognitive symptoms of ADHD and concerns have focused on food additives, blood sugar regulation, food allergies and intolerances, and vitamin, mineral and fatty acid deficiencies."
A Comprehensive video about ADHD and Food
How to Feed A child with ADHD
Recommended diet for children with ADHD
- There Is not much difference in the diet of a normal child and with those with ADHD. You can also give them the proper healthy food diets for normal children and the Food Pyramid for children. Check my other article about the discussion about feeding your children healthy foods. According to an article in Harvard Mental Health Letter. June 2009. “As of mid-2009, the consensus on a sensible approach to nutrition for children with ADHD is the same recommended for all children: eat a diet that emphasizes fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthful unsaturated fats, and good sources of protein; go easy on unhealthy saturated and trans fats, rapidly digested carbohydrates, and fast food; and balance healthy eating with plenty of physical activity.”
- Protein rich food is also good for children to help them feel better
- Omega 3 rich food like sardines and fish products should be given to children with ADHD
- Reduced cola and colored drinks in their diet as this si rich in additives and sugar. As a proof to this one it has been found that “ A recent well-designed study in Britain, the investigators found a mild but significant increase in hyperactivity in both age of children—across the board, regardless of baseline hyperactivity levels—during the weeks when they consumed drinks containing artificial colors. This study concluded that the additives might explain about 10% of the behavioral difference between a child with ADHD and one without the disorder”
- Avoid giving great doses of vitamins, which can be toxic
- Avoid many commonly used artificial food colors, the preservative sodium benzoate and hyperactivity.
- Surprisingly, sugar or its other sources have not been found out to have effect on ADHD.
- Avoid artificial food colorings found in drinks, colas and junk foods--colors like yellow and red in food should be avoided.
There has been conclusive evidence that food which are rich in artificial flavors and additives specially those with artificial yellow and color red food are generally bad for children and contributes to ADHD incidence among children, All children should adhere to the basic food nutrients requirements as deemed necessary for their overall health as enumerated in the dietary requirements for children. There are some tips on how to feed a child with ADHD and these are scientifically proven recommendations.
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS WEB SITE
Dedicated to the health and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Tips From A Mother of Seven : How to Feed Your Children Healthy Foods
The most challenging task in the world is being a parent-- part of it is making sure that your children are eating healthy foods and that they have a healthy mind and body so to speak. I have been blessed...
More by this Author
Motivations and Inspirational Words and Quotes For People with Disabilities. Finding the words and motivations in life when you are disable is difficult specially for those who have been active before and for some...
Photos of Pregnant Celebrities in Sexy Swimwear. I don't know why but some celebrities are just skinny even when they are pregnant, they are slim and still manage to gain little weight and look sexy with added extra...
Acupressure for Lovers: The Power of Touch Acupressure for Lovers: The Power of Touch. Have you heard of that before? It is amazing how the power of touch can give pleasure specially to lovers. Know the basic of...