How to Keep a Positive Attitude While Working at a Job You Hate
Chances are if you didn't spend years at an expensive university (one that you are still paying off loans for years later) you can relate to working a dead end job. With post secondary education you may or may not have escaped this, but with the economy in shambles even further education may not be enough to help you escape. These jobs have few perks and very little that could make anyone happy to be there. This article focuses on how to keep your spirits up while working somewhere that you really would rather not be if given a choice.
Many lower level jobs will pay minimum wage and a great many are in customer service. Dealing with people can be difficult whether it be over the phone or face to face. The human population is made up of people who are very intelligent and those that really are not, who are very nice and absolutely nasty. Oftentimes it can be like playing Russian roulette.
The workplace often has so many complexities to adhere to that it seems laughable that they can expect so much yet offer so little in the way of wages and benefits. With all that is expected for the employee there also may be a real lack of support and structure in the workplace that makes what is expected barely attainable. These types of jobs bear little resemblance to careers treating employees as nothing more than another number to be erased and replaced by more when the employee is no longer of use. In such an environment it can effect ones mood if you are not careful so it is important to keep a positive attitude by following a few simple steps.
- Keep in your mind why you do the job. It probably isn't because you love the money, i probably has more to do with supporting your family. Providing a decent place to raise you children, etc. Keep these reasons and people in the forefront of your mind and remember that it is a labor of love.
- Focus on every instance within the workplace that you enjoy. The more horrible the job the more difficult you may find this to do. But with every job no matter how bad there is always something that can be enjoyable. If this is just your lunch and breaks then focus on that but if possible think about any other silver lining that may exist.
- Establish and work on relationships with co-workers. Dependent upon how others in your workplace relate to you and how miserable they may be this could also present a level of difficulty.
- Possibly take something to work that makes you feel better: a trinket, a picture that makes you laugh or of someone that you care about. Even if you bring comfort food in your lunch this may help, just try not to always bring unhealthy food with you. You shouldn't allow your workplace such as it is to dictate your health.
- Savor the customers attitudes that are positive experiences, this will go a long way to keeping positive yourself.
More by this Author
A list of 25 game creation programs that will allow you to make your own games. Most incorporate 3D engines and with a little knowledge could allow you to create something rivaling what is commercially available.
A personal battle with chronic headaches that come every Saturday like clockwork and puzzlement at how it keeps perfect time and day.
A list of 10 things you should know before calling roadside assistance. Most are common sense and shed light on some of the silly things people do and say on the phone when calling in.