How to Maintain Oral Health
Healthy teeth and gums
Dental and Oral Health - Maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
Everyone knows by now that you should visit your oral care team twice per year. That means going to the dentist no matter how much you hate to do it. Without regular checkups you risk having plenty of problems that can affect your whole mouth.
Don't wait for a dental emergency to get you to go to the dentist. By the time some symptoms show up, it may be too late. Even simple chips in your teeth or bad breath can create major problems the longer they are allowed to go untreated.
Dentists say that with regular twice a year care, you can keep your teeth healthy and viable for your whole life. This means that loss of teeth is not normal as you age, but can be avoided.
Regular brushing and flossing is important for good dental health.
How many times do you brush your teeth every day? Twice a day is the magic number. Flossing once per day is recommended, plus any time you feel you have food particles stuck in your teeth.
Plaque forms over a 24 hour period, so brushing every 12 hours will keep the plaque away. The use of a fluoride and plaque reducing mouthwash twice per day will also help. Use the mouthwash for 20-30 seconds. Don't swallow!
Do you floss before or after brushing? The correct answer is floss before you brush to loosen up anything that may be caught between your teeth that your toothbrush can't reach.
How hard do you brush those teeth? The harder the bristles and the more pressure you apply to brushing your teeth will erode the enamel opening up tiny cracks which hide bacteria. A soft bristle brush and a light touch is better.
Plaque on Teeth
Toilets and Oral Health
Did you know that you should brush your teeth at least six feet away from a toilet?
Flushing the toilet can aerosolize bacteria and scatter them as far as six feet away. Closing the lid on the toilet before you flush can help keep the spread of germs down.
Clean your bathroom thoroughly at least once per week to help with good oral hygiene.
Dental hygiene alerts!
- Change your toothbrush every time you recover from a cold or a sore throat. There is a possibility that germs and viruses can be re-infecting the user.
- Tell your dentist about any tooth that is sensitive to heat or cold. There could be some thinning of the enamel or nerve damage.
- See your dental care provider right away if you have signs of bleeding gums. You may be brushing too hard or you may have gingivitis.
- Check your mouth in the mirror every week for chipped teeth, sores in the mouth, discoloration of the tongue, visible cavities or other signs of problems.
- Tell your dentist about bad breath. If someone mentions that you have bad breath or drops a bottle of mouthwash off in your mailbox, this may be a clue that you have bad breath and haven't noticed it yourself.
- Keep hydrated! Dry mouths reduce the presence of natural saliva which washes away debris and bacteria.
- Fluoride is good for your teeth, but swallowing it can be harmful to your health. Keep fluoride toothpastes and mouthwashes away from children under five years old.
Eating For Healthy Teeth
Good Foods for Teeth
Danger Foods for Teeth
Sticky Cough Drops
Sugar Free Gum
Sugary Hard Candy
Milk with Calcium
Black Coffee or Tea
Fresh Whole Fruits
Colas and Sodas
Celery and Raw Veggies
Acidic Food or Drink
How to check your oral health
Smoking and Mouth Cancer
Smoking is the biggest threat to good oral health. Smoking not only stains your teeth to a hideous yellow color, it may cause mouth or oral cancers.
Any part of your mouth (see tonsils diagram) can become cancerous. Cancers of the tongue are the most common, but cancer of the lips, throat, and gums are just as nasty.
If you are concerned about your oral health, quit smoking or using any kind of tobacco products! Go to Wikimedia Commons and search for mouth cancer or oral cancer to see the scariest photos ever. Show them to anyone who smokes or uses tobacco.
How to properly brush your teeth
Did you think you were brushing correctly?
After watching the video, do you believe you are brushing your teeth properly?See results without voting
© 2012 Austinstar
More by this Author
Having fair skin has its disadvantages. One of them is skin cancer and melanoma cancer of the skin. Sun worshipers will never understand the difficulty and amount of work it takes to stay out of the sun. We have to give...
Over my many years in the medical field, I've witnessed many deaths. Some people see death as a tragedy. Some see it as a release from pain and suffering. One thing is certain: death is inevitable.
Top 10 very effective uses for distilled white vinegar. Cure ringworm, athlete's foot, soothe insect bites, help for yeast infections and more...