How to Make a Rice Sock
Do the math
As Easy to Make as Minute Rice
This is simple the best heating pad in the world. It is cheap, its green and it works like a charm.
You only need three things
- A BAG OF RICE-the 2 pounder is the perfect size
- A LONG SOCK-knee high tube socks work best
- A MICROWAVE
No Talent Required
requires no sewing or artsy-crafty talent. If you can tie a knot you
can make it. It's as easy as t.hat
- Get a clean athletic sock for your dresser drawer
- Get a bag of rice from the kitchen cupboard (the larger bag works best but a small one will do). Pour the rice into the sock leaving enough room at the end for a knot . Tie a knot in the top end of the sock to keep the rice in.
- Put it in the microwave and microwave till hot. A large bag of rice will heat up in about 4 minutes give or take depending on the microwave used. It will be quite warm so handle carefully.
Put It Where It Hurts.
It is completely mobile, no cord and no plugs required making it energy efficient and completely portaable. .The sock will stay warm for at least 4 hours and can be reheated over and over.
you will find that the rice sock is
- completely portable-no plugs or cords
- reusable-can be reheated over and over. When the sock gets soiled simple take out the rice, wash the sock and it's ready to go again.
- energy efficient requires only 4 minutes in the micorwave but will give off heat for over 4 hours.
I have found that the rice sock is great for:
- Putting on any ache and pain that would benefit from extended period warmth. The you can drape it over your shoulders or place in the small of your pack when you are watching TV. Put under or over your knees and hands to relieve arthritis pain.
- Warming little hands and feet in the wintertime,
- warming up a cold bed or crib (ever notice how babies sleep in your arms but as soon as you put them on the cold sheets they wake up). Use a rice sock just remember to remove it and check the temperature of sheets.
- Keeping your favorite hot beverage warm longer,
- When the sock gets dirty, just pour the rice into a new one.
That's it. Try it and tell me I am not right!
There is only one thing to remember once the rice sock has been heated. Make sure to check the temperature of the sock. The rice can get very hot and you may need to wrap it in a towel before applying directly to the skin. Once it cools down a little, the towel can be removed.
More of My Hubs
- CANARIES IN THE KITCHEN WHAT NON-STICK COOKWARE IS DOING TO YOUR HEALTH
The first sign of danger Are you aware of the fact that Teflon is a danger to your health? I wasn't. While surfing the net, I came across and alternative health site that was discussing this fact. ...
- Herbs that Should be in Every Kitchen Cupboard
These herbs should be in your kitchen cupboard There are a few simple herbs that should be in every kitchen cupboard. They are safe and effective for treating a few of the common ills that plague all...
- Carol's Magic Eight Ball
Most of the people I know have logical brains. They think from point A to point B to point C. My brain on the other hand is like the Magic Eight Ball. When you shake it up and turn it upside down,...
- A Time Line of Western Herbalism Part I
It is easy to see how important herbs were in the daily lives of ancient peoples. When traders from these ancient cultures traveled to distant lands, they took native herbs with them. The medicinal herbs of...
- HOW TO BUILD AN INEXPENSIVE GROW LIGHT AND GARDEN INSIDE
Are you an avid gardener like me? Are you already anticipating the arrival of your seed catalogs? I know I am. Do you drool over the big grow lights and trays for starting seedlings but like me don't have...
More by this Author
Melissa Stress is an integral part of American life. There are more things to do, than there are hours in the day. Once home, it is sometimes almost impossible to get rid of that tension headache or that knot of...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE6
Lignans are organic compounds found in the cell walls of plants. They are part of a family of compounds with estrogenic, anti-estrogenic and antioxidant activity. These phytoestrogens (estrogen like chemicals found in...
A Damaged Plaster Frame I love to buy old picture frames, well because I like old stuff. I am especially fond of those old gilded plaster frames. They set off my landscape prints really well. The only draw back is...