How to Properly Care for Teeth
Can You Afford Not To Take Good Care Of Your Teeth
You may be able to afford the best dental care, but nothing is as effective as your own healthy teeth for chewing or smiling. Barring illness and accidents, daily cleansing of your teeth will keep your teeth strong and clean. If you have weak teeth there are all sorts of rinses and tooth pastes that will help.
Who would you rather do business with?See results without voting
Proper Care Of Your Teeth
The proper care of your teeth is the easiest and least expensive way to prevent bad breath, cavities and gum disease. A person with a nice smile is more likely to smile than a person with bad teeth. People who smile are considered friendly and pleasant. This is a positive trait that helps get jobs and leads many people to success.
People who never smile are considered grumpy even though they may only be embarrassed by discolored or crooked teeth.
Stigma Attached To The Condition Of Your Teeth
Have you ever looked at at a 6 year old who has lost her front teeth and thought,"How cute"? Everyone knows 6 year old children lose baby teeth. We know in a few months there will be adult teeth to fill in the space. When we see an adult without teeth we don't think it is cute. We think," Poor dear she needs a bridge or false teeth".
There is stigma attached to bad teeth. My mom had gold fillings outlining her front teeth until the advent of porcelain fillings. She hated having her picture taken because her teeth had those fillings. After the porcelain fillings she started to smile again.
As medicine advances it has become apparent that good dental hygiene is more important than to help our vanity.
Many of you may have heard poor dental health may be linked to heart disease. The answer is still out on that theory, but there are links between other diseases and dental health.
This Toothbrush Almost Eliminates The Need For Flossing
Diabetes And Tooth Decay
Diabetes has been linked to gum disease which, can lead to tooth loss. Fungal infections and inflammatory infections of the mouth can be caused by improperly managed diabetes. When diabetes isn't controlled glucose in your saliva increases. Sugar (glucose) attracts germs and fungus that cause gum disease and cavities.
Cancer and Dental Health
Chinese medicine looks at the tongue first to determine a diagnosis. Other forms of medicine are beginning to examine the connection between plaque build up and cancer.
Get Into The Habit
Every dentist will tell you to get a check up every six months, Do not worry if you can't afford check ups. There is a great deal you can do to have a healthy mouth and good teeth even when you don't have access to good dental care.
If you are a parent this is where you start with your children.
Have you heard of, "Monkey see monkey do"? One day H.J. was visiting. He wasn't walking yet so I sat him on the floor next to where I was brushing my teeth. He stared at me brushing, then made a fuss until I found a new toothbrush in the drawer and gave it to him. He proudly put the tooth brush into his mouth then started attacking his teeth Like he knew what he was doing. His parents had started to brush his teeth at home, so he really did know what to do.
Let yourchildren see you brush your teeth. Wipe their teeth when they have just a few tiny teeth and make tooth brushing a habit. Start the habit early.
When the only time you see the dentist is for check ups you will never regret this early start; The kids will thank you when they don't have dental insurance, but do have good teeth..
Steps To Proper Tooth Brushing
- A tooth brush that fits your hand and mouth. When the brush is too big spots get missed and brushing is uncomfortable. (soft bristles are gentlest on your gums)
- Fluoride toothpaste
- Dental floss
- Rinse (Your dentist may recommend a fluoride rinse for kids and adults with weak teeth)
Looking at your teeth pick a spot to begin.
- Brush With your tooth brush at a slight angle toward the gums, brush each tooth with a circular motion. Move from one tooth to the next all around your mouth. Next brush the insides of the top teeth then move on to the outside of your lower teeth and lastly brush the insides of the bottom teeth. Make sure if you are right handed to pay special attention to the teeth on the right side. If you are left handed pay special attention to the left side. It is easy to miss the the teeth on the dominate side..
- Give your tongue a quick brush.
- Floss (Using between 12- 18 inches of the floss gently press a clean section of floss between each of your teeth. Gently going around each tooth in a "C" configuration and into the gum.
- Alternatives to Flossing include using little brushes that fit between your teeth, dental toothpicks and Sonic Care tooth brush.
- Rinse your mouth and tooth brush after each use.
- Repeat at least the brushing process twice a day.
Chemotherapy And Dental Care
If you are going to have chemotherapy see the dentist for a check-up, if possible, before starting.
Gentle cleaning and care of your teeth may determine how well you tolerate chemo.
After each round of chemo my mouth became sore and painful. There were days when my mouth hurt so badly I couldn't eat. Chemo drugs generally won't hurt your teeth, but will affect your gums and mouth; the lining of the mouth and gums are fast growing cells. These are the kinds of cells chemotherapy generally attacks..
Dental care while going through chemo is similar to regular dental care with some exceptions.
- Use a soft tooth brush
- Use gentle tooth paste or baking soda
- Instead of trying to use mouth wash make a mixture of 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon salt mixed in 8 ounces of warm water . Mouth wash can burn your mouth during chemotherapy.
- You may consider brushing more frequently during chemo.
- Consider asking your chemotherapy nurse for additional help with dental hygiene.
- Chemotherapy can cause dry mouth. It is sometimes helpful to use Biotene rinse to help keep your mouth moist,
Habits Take Three Weeks
Habits take approximately three weeks to acquire. Properly brushing your teeth may seem like a bother, but the rewards last throughout your entire life.
Are you willing to take the challenge and brush twice a day and floss at least once a day? If you will let me know and I will cheer for you. If you already brush and floss daily I am cheering right now. Good work!
More by this Author
My experience with Pertuzumab( trade name Perjeda) and Ado-Trastuzumab Emtansine trade name (Kadcyla) for treating breast cancer has been positive.
You don't have to suffer with acid reflux or indigestion. Here are some ideas for treating digestive discomfort.
My personal experience relieving asthma symptoms without medication. This form of deep breathing is called Buteyko Breathing.