How to Protect Your Child's Eyesight or Vision
This hub contains practical tips to protect or safeguard the eyes of your children.
When the weekend approaches expect your children to hang around in your home, as they will watch their favorite cartoon shows, or play with their computers or PSP. However, if your children are glued to the screen of your television or computers for a long time this might make them develop a vision problem like the myopia (nearsightedness), an eye problem where far objects may appear unclear or fuzzy, thus It is a must that you need to limit their exposure to video or computer games to keep their eyesight healthy and in top shape.
Your child's eyesight, so vital yet so vulnerable.
Here are some ways, pointers, tips or cues to help your child have a clear eyesight
- Make sure your kids are in a safe distance away from the television set on your home. Keep them at least one meter away. Remember that if they are closer to the screen of the television they will need to focus more.
- Tell them to blink whilst playing video or computer games or watching TV, to keep their eyes relaxed.
- Reduce screen time with 3D movies on your home. The 3D movies are indeed exciting to watch, but it can cause weariness on their eyes. The 3D movies are a bit blurry and slightly brighter and this may cause fatigue on kids' eyes. Additionally, 3D movies will just to get the attention of your kids and they will be required to focus further with the details of what is appearing on the screen. When they are wearing glasses to watch the movies it is better to have them reversed. This may neutralize the strength of flying objects near their eyes as the background of the movie may get some attention.
- If your kids are fond of reading, tell them to stop when they feel that their eyes are weary already. To preserve their eyesight further it is wise to prevent them from reading inside a vehicle or in a dark area.
- Children with nearsightedness may affect school performance. Screen time should be limited to two hours. Reading in longer hours frequently may impair their eyesight in the coming days. Television sets, computers, PSPs, and VCRs should be kept away from your children’s bedrooms.
- Signs of eye problems are looking sideways, runny eyes, eye pain, headaches after reading, and not normal turning of head. When you see some of these symptoms with your kids it is wise see your children’s eye specialists.
- And last but definitely not the least, keep them away from playing with their toys that have pointed edges at all times for these might set the stage for an unwanted accidents.
More by this Author
The Civil Service Examination that is given in the Philippines is indeed a tough nut to crack; the passing rate over the years had dipped drastically, no thanks to the high 80% mark, one should hurdle. The average...
With the recent economic turmoil, stress seems to disrupt and affect the way of life of most people. People nowadays are worried about the security of their tenure in work, health, their children's needs and education,...
Our planet is indeed gasping for breath right now, our harmful pollution is indeed choking her slowly and continues to strip her ozone layer. I think it is about time to give our timely response to this alarming state...