How to Relieve Back Pain - Part 2
Step by Step Strengthening Exercises
Now that we have completed your stretching, some of you will be ready to stop. Now is the time to determine which is better, breaking through the desire to quit or being willing to live with back pain. What we are going to address now is the strengthening exercises.
* To strengthen your lower back, do Hindu style squats. This exercise is to help with the every day rigors of life. Do 15 of these, as you get in better shape you should be doing 3 sets of these as well.
* When you are ready to go back to work, do 15 sit ups. These exercises will strengthen your abs and takes some of the pressure off your back muscles.
* Next we should lie face down in the Superman position. Keep your body on the mat but lift your head, arms and shoulders as well as your legs into a bowl position. Hold this position for about 10 secs. repeating it 15 times.
* Now we want to lean from the waist forward to about 90 degrees. Using a light weight (2.5 or 5 lbs) in each hand, lift the arms from the floor to the arm position straight out from the shoulders. Be careful to go slowly and not too far past the shoulders as you will be putting stress on your neck muscles which are not the intention at this time. This exercise is known as the Reverse Fly.
* Finally you should get down on your hands and knees (all fours). You will lift your right arm straight out from your body and then raise your left leg straight out from your hip, hold for about 10 seconds. Now reverse your arm and leg and hold for 10 seconds.
No comments yet.