Success Mastery Blueprint: How to create your own success road map in 7 simple steps
“If you go to work with your goals, your goals will go to work with you. If you go to work with your plan, your plan will go to work with you. Whatever good things we build end up building us.”
Jim Rohn – American Foremost Business Philosopher
What does the word success mean to you? This is a very important question and fundamental question. It's the very heart of the success journey. in a nutshell it means different thing to different people. To one person it could mean having a lot money in his/her bank account whereas to another it could just mean the opportunity to be alive and active. On the whole success has to do with the realization of a an accomplishment. It is action you take towards achieving a set goal. On the whole it is not an end in itself.
Success is a journey
Success is a journey and takes place at three levels:
· The things you choose to focus on in life
· The meaning or interpretation you put upon the information you receive
· The action you take as a result of processing that information
For us to be in control of the results or outcome we have in life, we need to be in control of these three departments mentioned above. What it entails is that we develop mastery in the way we think. Thinking is a skill that can be mastered if we put effort to understanding it as a discipline. For us to be truly successful there is need for the concentration of the power of thought and directing the thought through planned action towards a particular goal.
In a nutshell judging from the above descriptions of levels of success, we have to look at success based on the following sub themes:
· The things you choose to focus in life – perception
· The meaning or interpretation you put upon the information – processing
· The action you take as a result of processing the information – performance
The things you choose to focus in life - perception
· What do you focus on in life? The way you perceive things is based on how you use your senses to focus on things. Ii is made up up what you focus on as well as how you focus.The important thing here is the role your senses play in focusing on what is important to you in your immediate environment as this will impact on the things your neurological system will be geared to work on. If you liken this aspect of the transaction between the environment and the brain in a given system as the input; it does impact what is processed. Therefore your level of awareness as to what you want observes and how you want to observe it comes into play here.
The meaning or interpretation you put upon the information – processing
Meaning making or interpretation of information is an internal construct. It takes place in the brain within the association neurons. Essentially, the aspect of information processing depends a lot on reference that has already being stored in the brain and with the help of the information already available in the brain the brain tries to make sense of the information through association. This stage is very important in our decision making process because the information will be sent to the action neurons so as to elicit particular action. It is important the decision making process is make at the conscious level where the individual has the ability to make use of myriad of information in the present circumstance for making decision not based on the old habit (the unconscious mind).
The action you take as a result of processing the information – performance
This is the last stage where the thinking process finishes and the output of the information is played out in the environment by the elicitation of the action neurones sending signals to then glands and muscles for specific action. This point is very critical because you can decide to either take action or not take action. Either way the result will be played out in long term. It is important to realise to that we need to take physical action so as to manipulate our physical environment. This culminates the fact that thinking is both mental and physical effort.
Steps to reach your goals
Being successful begin by becoming aware and responsible for our thinking and action resulting from it.We need to have faith that it is us that will make our dream come true – trusting God. Hence this section will summarize the step we can take to accomplish anything we desire to do, The principle here is service follow, success and rewards ( money, fame, achievement): <service – success – rewards>
The following steps below have been suggested by Vic Johnson – goal setting expert:
1. Have a clear picture of your burning desire – You need to have a very clear vision of what it is that you want -not what you don’t want. This is the beginning of your dream. Here your imagination is meant to be brought into action.
2. Write a statement of definite purpose – you have to be able to write down this desire succinctly in writing as a very clear objective. For example if you nee to purchase a car you need to write it down so that the purpose is clear to be actionable. An example could be that I need to purchase or buy a black Mercedes car – C220 model. If on the other hand you want some money; you need to be able to state the exact amount. It could even be you desire to have a particular grade in your examination. No matter what, the idea is the same.
3. Decide what you will give in return for your success – What do you need to give in return for your success. This principle of contribution. Remember that that rewards - follow service, getting follow - giving, and making an impression - follow making a difference. There is no such thing as getting something for nothing. Just at the time of this writing I received a cheque from the post for a sum of money from the HM Revenue and Customs. It was due to repayment of income tax for tax year 2010 – 2011. This benefit will not have been possible t my arisen without my contribution in excess of what is required from me. This idea here is to set into motion an action that will result in the experience that you want. Remember that there is no such thing as something for nothing. Service follows success and success money (or any scorecard to measure success). What are you prepared to give in return for what you desire?
4. Set a date for the accomplishment of your goal – You need to clearly set a date for the accomplishment of your goal. What you need to achieve, when and by how much? Remember that a dream is a goal without a completion date. Having a date propels you to have the conviction and self confidence to make your dream a reality.
5. Write down your plan where it can be added and modified as needed – You need to explicitly write down your plan of action. You have to note that it is not written in stone and that you have to be flexible enough to create changes as they arise.
6. Write an affirmation statement that tricks the subconscious into thinking you have already attained your burning desire – An affirmation is a statement that describes a goal in its already completed state. For example: “I am enjoying driving my new black Mercedes C220 saloon.”It’s like counting your chicks before they are hatched. It should be in the present tense and positively stated. Read the statement s at least twice a day, morning and night – Reading the statement day and night is a reminder to your inner man of the new experience that you are living in. It’s a way of conditioning and creates an opportunity for meditation. Continuously you are reminding your inner man of the new experience that you desire to create.
7. Change your environment and surround your self with symbols that remind you of your goal and resemble your life once you achieve it – You have to remember that thinking is in two levels – physical and mental: and both requires effort. The manipulation of your physical environment is the action that you’ll take to create the physical environment to the desired state that you’ve envisaged. This processional effect is one way to manipulate your environment to the desired final state.
David Lewis has this take on the thinking in action; that without the ability to act effectively the most creative thought, inspired idea, brilliant concept, startling theory ot great vision will have no meaning. That the individual has to assume responsibility for its successful and vigorous implementation, ot it will never see the light of day. Therefore there is the need to marry the world of imagination and the world of reality. This is made possible through sticking a balance between the two worlds in terms of resources – the former is filled with endless possibilities and boundless resources and the later has finite resources and still with less of that most important commodity - ‘time.’
More by this Author
Everyone experiences fear as one moves out of his/her comfort zone. The ability to makes progress is determined by how we hold fear. This article explains how.
Each and everyone of us has been given a particular talent or ability. The onus is for us to discover our God given talents and put them to work so as to add value to our lives and other lives.
- 8Compare and Contrast -Efficiency and Effectiveness: two sides of a coin differentiated by thought process
This article seeks to point out the difference between efficiency and effectiveness and their implication as managerial tools for enhancing productivity.