How To Hold Fire In Your Hand!
The End Product
Before we begin...
I would like to state that this is, quite obviously, a dangerous thing to do. It took me close to three days to figure out a way of not burning myself, and it is quite possible that it could still burn you if you are not careful. Those who are not strong willed may find that when they light the ball on fire, they will drop it, which can lead to numerous amounts of property damage if you are in the wrong place. Do not read past this point if you think that you are going to hurt yourself or your property by doing this. I hold absolutely no liability for your actions beyond this point. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU DO AFTER READING THIS.
It will amaze you, it will amaze your friends, it may possibly inspire others to try it themselves and end up with 2nd degree burns. That's what happened to me anyway. It took me three days to figure out how to do this without much discomfort. That's right, you can still get burned doing this, so I would like to suggest a few things before we start.
1) Do this outside, next to some water. Don't stand next to any vegetation. Have shoes on so that you can step on your creation so it doesn't catch anything on fire.
2) If it starts to hurt, don't try to be a man and take it. This will only cause you injuries. Just drop it or blow it out.
3) If you choose to blow it out, make sure you create some airflow, or else you are just going to blow the flames onto your hand, and cause you more injuries.
4) Don't be stupid.
What you need:
1) A Paper Towel
4) Charcoal Lighter (Anything than doesn't burn to hot will work)
5) A lighter
6) Lotion (I'll tell you why later)
First, you need to...
Take one of your paper towels, and tear a piece off that you can roll into a ball the size of a marble. Then take that ball, and start to wrap it in a piece of thread that is about a 11/2 to 2 feet in length.
Once it is wrapped in string
Here come the fun part. Now take the charcoal fluid and soak the ball in it. Don't do it excessively. Just enough to let it burn for a while without charring the surface.
Here is where I figured out how to not burn your hands when holding the ball. What you want to do its put lotion(or water, or dish detergent) on the outer half of the ball where your hand will be touching the ball. This prevents the fire from actually getting near your hand, which prevents you from getting injured. It still looks like the entire ball is on fire from a viewers distance though. (If you don't do this, it will burn your hand in about 5 seconds)
When you are ready, put the ball on your hand (lotion side down) and light it. Make sure not to drop it on anything that will combust.
Hooray! You are now holding fire! Now go out and impress your friends.
Now what do you do
If you're feeling particularly bored, here are a few things you can do with them after you have one lit.
1) Make two more and start juggling them. The temporary contact with your skin won't burn it. It also looks pretty cool as well.
2) Light your cigarettes with one. Then close your hand quickly, it will put out the flame.
3) Run toward people like a possessed maniac and flail around.
4) Don't do number 3
I made this hub with the intent of the people reading this to use the fireball for entertainment only. Don't be stupid. Don't throw it at people. There are a lot of things you should do with this, so please be careful. But don't be afraid to have fun either.
More by this Author
What do you do when you and your buddies run out of things to do in the wilderness? That's right, you play funny pranks on each other. And when someone pulls a prank on you, you have to get them back. So for your...
How much is to much? Texting among cell phone users (especially younger ones) has reached a critical point, and now scientists & psychologists are debating it's effects on our health. Some even go as far to call it...
Ever gone out to a paintball game and played the exact same scenario all day long? Here's a few games to make that day out more interesting.