How to overcome insomnia? Simple tips for a good and undisturbed sleep.
“I've always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” –David Benioff
You work hard from morning to night and your body aches with tiredness. A good night’s sleep is a must to enable you to be fresh for another day of hectic work.
- Are able to sleep as soon as you lay your head in the pillow?
- Are you able to have eight hours of undisturbed sleep?
- Are you fresh and energetic when you wake up?
If you say ‘yes’ to these questions, you are one of the lucky few who are able to enjoy the beauty of a good sleep and a relaxed body. But most of you are unable to sleep and you lay awake till dawn and doze off uneasily to wake up feeling groggy and bleary.
What are the setbacks of insomnia?
- You feel tired all the through the day
- Night seems to awaken the hidden fears you had stored in your mind.
- Your problems assume a mammoth proportion which makes you jittery.
- You are always tensed and hyped.
‘Can I have a good and peaceful sleep? I would give anything to sleep without any disturbance.’
Why is sleep very important?
- Your body needs rest from a day of hard work.
- You are able to close your mind to worries when you sleep.
- You are mentally alert when you get up from a good sleep.
Even high end machines cannot work non stop. It is the same with you. Your body cannot labor without a break and your mind cannot be at its optimum best when you tax it too much. When you give rest to your body and mind it becomes active to take you through another day.
How to know you have insomnia?
- You are unable to sleep even when you are dead tired.
- You do not sleep normally, but fitfully.
- You get up frequently in the night and you are unable to get back to sleep.
- You doze in the early hours and get up feeling listless and tired
Why do you suffer from insomnia?
Have you heard of a child complaining about not being able to sleep? Does he toss around in uneasiness? He sleeps as soon as he feels sleepy. Why is it so? It is because he does make his mind a store house of worries like you do. He does not have any negative eating habits which robs him of his health.
It is when you grow you experience sleeplessness. Why is it so? The food habits you follow, the stress you suffer from, the alcohol you consume all take a toll of your physical and mental health and leads you to disturbed and frustrated mindset which finally ends in insomnia.
What are the main reasons for your sleeplessness at night?
- It is your mind which makes you unable to sleep. You are riddled with worries all through your life. You suffer in your work place; suffer from relationship problems and also from money problems. You feel your life is worthless and you fume and fret inwardly and your mind and body reacts in a negative way.
- Worries can destroy your peace and a seething mind always assumes the worst for you. When the world sleeps peacefully, your mind awakens to your fear and your body reacts to your worries by making you lose your sleep.
- When you are in debt you fear your future and you feel shattered that there is no one to help you. It makes you agonized and an agonized mind never sleeps. Fear about your children, your family, your future can all make you feel sleepless and disturbed.
Certain food habits also can induce insomnia.
- Do you consume lots of caffeine?
- Do you drink a lot?
- Do you eat late in the night?
- Do you force yourself to stay awake that your sleeping mechanism is all muddled up?
- Do you lead a sedentary lifestyle?
If you say ‘yes’, it is time you change your food habits and also your lifestyle.
How to beat insomnia and have peaceful sleep?
- You should not eat oil rich food in the night as it can make your stomach uneasy. Your stomach feels heavy when you eat too much and a heavy stomach can deter your sleep.
- A tired body always embraces sleep very fast. When you lead a sedentary life style your body is never tired and does not need any rest as it is already very rested and relaxed. When you are active all through the day, your body demands rest and when you lay on the bed you are lost to the world in a second.
- You should not have arguments with the family in the night as it makes you feel tensed and stressed. You toss about in resentment as your mind relives the scene and feels terribly disturbed. When you spend laughing time with your family, you find it very easy to slip into peaceful sleep.
- Make your eyes tired. Read some books till your eyes grow heavy and when you feel the heaviness, close the book and lay down and you will sleep immediately. Make sure your bedding are comfortable for you to sleep well.
- A glass of warm milk with a spoon of honey added to it can make you sleepy.
- Follow a time pattern of sleep. Choose a particular time and go to sleep. When you do this regularly your body gets accustomed to the routine and you will see your sleeping problems disappearing gradually.
A good and complete sleep is like a breather to your stressed mind. You cannot be healthy without eight hours of undisturbed sleep. The hours can vary as you can sleep for less hours and still feel active. All that matters is that your sleep should be absolute, peaceful and undisturbed.
© 2013 mathira
More by this Author
Old age can be lived the proper way if you have a positive mindset. Age related problems are mostly mind related and you have to overcome it to live a fruitful life, full of zeal and zest.
There are relationship problems as you do not know your limits. You unreasonably interfere in the life of your children and spouse.If you know your boundary, you have peace and calm in your life.
When the person whom you so ardently loved leaves you, you might feel that you have nothing left. Don't let someone who does not truly love you cause you to lose hope. When you are able to move on from the false love...
No comments yet.