How to prevent the problems affecting the oral health
How to prevent the problems affecting the oral health
How to prevent the problems affecting the oral health.
What is a good oral hygiene?
Good oral hygiene is one that results from the effective removal of food debris (especially after meals) and at the same time makes this "link" a set of bacteria to teeth and gums in order to prevent the destruction of teeth by the action of these bacteria.
If your gums hurt or bleed when brushing your teeth or when using wire or dental still presents constant bad breath or pain sensitivity in the teeth and gums, should visit a health care professional oral. Any of these situations may result from a health problem and of itself can cause significant impacts on their quality of life.
The oral hygiene is the main salutogénical factor of the oral cavity. Thus, almost all diseases affecting the oral cavity can see its progression halted by the existence of a sound and effective hygiene.
The main function of oral hygiene is the removal of plaque from the surface of the teeth and should start as a daily habit since the eruption of the first baby tooth.
What is bacterian plaque?
The bacterian plaque or oral biofilm is a member and transparent film made up of bacteria and their products, forming is constantly on their teeth and gums. It is the main cause of dental caries and periodontal diseases which can lead to loss of teeth.
Initially this film takes a soft consistency and, if not removed at this stage, it will mineralize, making it hard (picking up of tartar or estimate). To remove the tartar is a necessary set of clinical procedures, performed by professionals in oral health.
How do i know if I have bacterian plaque?
All we develop bacterian plaque. The bacteria proliferate constantly in our mouths. To grow, these bacteria use ingredients found in our diet and saliva. A plaque in the presence of carbohydrates (especially sugar) to produce acids that are hard tissue demineralised of the tooth (enamel and dentin). Then, whenever you eat foods or sweetened beverages, will definitely acids. With repeated acid attacks the enamel is deteriorating and the lesions of caries starts.
The plaque is not removed also cause gum inflammation, leading to gingivitis (gums red, swollen and bleeding).
There are products, known as revealing the plaque, whose main function is to "give" color to the plaque. Its regular use is very useful to view the location of plaque and thus rectifying the technique of oral hygiene.
How do I prevent the bacterian plaque to form?
The formation of bacterian plaque is a constant process in the oral cavity. However we can prevent its accumulation and the ensuing consequences.
Make sure that:
Carefully brush all surfaces of the teeth at least twice a day;
Use the wire every day to remove dental plaque that accumulates between the teeth and the gingival sulcus;
Moderate consumption of sweetened foods and drinks (cakes, biscuits, chocolate bread, chips, soft drinks, etc.). Because they facilitate the adherence of bacteria to tooth surfaces and are used to produce acid that destroys teeth;
If necessary, there are antibacterial agents (such as chlorhexidine), widely used in dentistry, through solutions of mouthwash or toothpaste, which have high rates of effectiveness in reducing and controlling the oral biofilm. Ask yourself with a professional oral health.
Care for a good oral hygiene
Maintain good oral hygiene is one of the most important behaviors that can have on their teeth and their gums.
The daily preventive care, which includes brushing and proper use of dental wire, will help you to preserve your oral health and consequently their health in general.
The primary care to run to take a proper oral hygiene are:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, of which one must be, necessarily, before going to bed;
- Always use a toothpaste with 1,000 to 1,500 ppm of fluoride;
- Using a brush of appropriate size. Usually the tooth brushes should have a small head and be soft to prevent injuries on the teeth and gums;
- Using wire daily or dental tape to remove food debris and bacteria that exist in the spaces between teeth and between them and gums. Its use should be implemented before brushing so that the protective action of toothpaste for longer;
- The use of mouthwash to rinse or colutórios should have a clinical indication, because they are not all equal, and products used may have very different applications. It should therefore follow the signs of oral health care professionals;
- In children, the act of oral hygiene should always be supervised by parents, with particular attention to the amount of toothpaste on the brush and placed possibility of ingestion of it;
- In some cases there may be clinical indication for use of fluoride supplements;
At the end of oral hygiene should not be passed by the mouth water, but spit the excess of toothpaste, so the action of fluoride or antimicrobial compounds will be more prolonged
Correct technique of brushing
In children up to 5 / 6 years
- The start of oral hygiene habits must occur soon since the eruption of the first baby tooth;
- Must run smooth movements of rotation on each side tooth and all sides, following a sequence of tooth to tooth;
At the end can be implemented in brushing the tongue, from the base to tip.
In adolescents and adults
Tilt the brush towards the gum at an angle of 45 against the gums and make small movements and horizontal vibration, circular or shuttle type, so that the hair of the brush clears the gingival sulcus (space that lies between the teeth and gums) .
- Make about ten movements in the areas covered by dental brush;
- The brush should cover two teeth at a time;
- Brush with a sequence that allows all dental surfaces are brushed. Get an extreme end of the jaw and the other end;
- Gently brush the outer surfaces (the side of the cheek) and interiors (on the side of the tongue);
- Brush the surfaces of mastication, making movements such short shuttle;
- Brush your tongue gently from the base toward the tip so as to remove the bacteria and freshen your breath;
- And it is never too strengthening: the brushing of teeth takes 2 to 3 minutes.
What kind of brush should I use?
Most of oral health professionals agree that a soft brush is best to remove plaque and food debris from their teeth. The brushes with small heads are also preferred because they can more easily get to all areas of the mouth, including the posterior teeth more difficult to access, without causing any injuries.
An electric toothbrush that run light movements of rotation type shuttle will also be a good alternative, particularly for people who find it more difficult to brush with less manual dexterity or when it comes to taking care of oral hygiene of other individuals. The only difference with the manual toothbrush is that the electric brush makes the movements and automatically has a smaller head. Once brush is a tooth at a time and did not make any motion of brushing. It is necessary to follow a sequence not to get any tooth surface by brushing.
Proper technique for using the wire dental (dental or tape)
- Use approximately 40 cm of dental wire;
- Wrap the wire in almost all the middle finger of one hand and a small portion in the middle finger of other hand, leaving between the two middle fingers a lot of wire, about 2 to 3 cm. As you go employing wires, wrap a finger and takes place in the other. It is important to always use clean wire in each interdental space. The thumbs and indicators help to handle it;
- Insert the wire between two teeth and bend it to the back of each one, making small horizontal movements until the gingival sulcus;
- The wire should be used carefully so as not to hurt the gums;
The dental wire must be used before brushing the teeth, so it allows preventive agents of the toothpaste longer acting on the faces of free dental waste.
When to start using dental wire?
From the time when you have the manual dexterity to use. Usually the children from 8 / 9 years already can handle it. By that age, are the parents who could do the job.
Oral healthClick thumbnail to view full-size
More by this Author
CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) The competitive market of today, requires a quality product with reliability and durability. As a rapid response in terms of study and implementation of products.
Anorexia nervosa is classified as a psychiatric illness, the group of eating disorders.You can see anorexia facts, symptoms, statistics, pictures and the real definition.
The first precursors of MMA-Mixed Martial Arts events dating from 648 BC and emerged in Greece. See the real History of MMA.