How to protect eyesight??
He says take care of your eyes
Weak eyesight is the most common problem of 21st century. Modern gadgets bring modern diseases with them and weak eyesight is one of those modern diseases. If you look back in history, people at old ages (usually) used to have weak eyesight. That was the result of body growing old but if you see now, the population with weak eyesight has grown at a very huge amount, especially the teenagers. It is the most important sense organ, I believe. You've got only one pair and that you have to utilize throughout your life time. Hence you need to protect and care about them.
You can protect your eyes from the unnatural means of destruction. So, for this purpose first of all you need to protect your eyes from harmful things.
Take help from sunglasses
The sun rays, particularly the blue waves, directly hit the retina leading to the eye problems like myopia, hypermetropia artificially. The best sunglasses for preventing the blue waves are amber-orange-brown range of sunglasses.
Take help from your monitor
You should prefer LCD monitors instead of the heavy cathode ray tube monitors as it flickers less than the cathode ray tube (CRT) monitors.
Go for regular checkups. Take your child below 5 years to eye specialist once to check the symptoms of strabismus or lazy eye. If you have a family history of any kind of eye problem, visit eye specialist in every 6 months to check out the early symptoms of any possible problem, before getting worse.
Use eye protection wherever required. For example, at your work place like pharmaceuticals, construction site, etc, and at home, even while putting a nail on the walls etc. Avoid the entry of any kind of foreign body in your eye because you can't guess how that small particle is going to effect your eye, especially chemicals. So using an eye protection is a must.
Use sunglasses. It not only looks fashionable but it also protects your eyes from the harmful UV rays of sun. The longer exposure of eye to sun rays can weaken your eye muscles, can lead to cataract and may result in macular degeneration. So, invest money on good sunglasses and make sure that your sunglasses are providing you 100% protection from the UV rays. You should also wear sunglasses at the places where the surrounding is very shinny like snow, water sources, sand, shinny metals etc. That may also hurt your eyes.
Keep a distance of 10 feet between you and TV while watching it. And also keep the maximum comfortable distance between you and your PC's monitor.
Eat healthy fat rich foods
Eat fat rich foods like avocado, olives, raw nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, organic eggs, and organic butter because luteins are best absorbed by our blood in the presence of healthy fats present in these foods.
What to eat???
Eat high amount of antioxidants like berries, pomegranate etc. These prevents macular degeneration which results in blindness in old ages.
Eat high bioflavonoid containing food like berries and pomegranate. These increases the supply of food and oxygen to the eye tissues by strenthening the small blood vessels present in eyes.
Eat food with high lutein. This is also an antioxidant and helps in removing the free radicles from your body which are created due to pollution etc. These free radicles can damage your lenses, retina, optic nerve etc. Kale, collard greens, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, corn, avocado, and organic egg yolks are some of the lutein rich foods.
Eat omega 3 protein rich food. Omega 3 prevents dryness of eyes. Eat fish, they contains good amount of omega 3 in them.
Eat vitamin A rich foods.
Keep a distance of 16-30 inches between monitor and you. Most of the people feel comfortable at a distance of 20-26 inches.
What to avoid???
- First of all, I would say "quit smoking". Smoking increases the risk and accelerates the development of cataracts, macular degeneration and optic nerve damage. So, if you are a smoker than I would suggest you to quit smoking as soon as possible before getting too late.
- Avoid Omega 6 protein. This protein counteracts the good omega 3.
- Avoid packed foods as most of the packed food contains omega 6 which, as stated in above statement, counteracts omega 3. Vegetable oils contains omega 6 and there is hardly any packed food which do not contains vegetable oils.
- Never rub your eyes, instead wash them when required.
- Never look continuously on the computer. Remove your eyes from the computer screen and look away, anywhere for a few seconds in between to make them relaxed. And keep blinking while watching TV and working on computers to avoid dryness.
- Never look directly at sun and other shinny things like metals etc.
Take help from software
If you need to work on computers for hours then you can take help from your PC. Use Flu.x. This software adjusts the monitor brightness according to the surroundings in which you are sitting, automatically. Hence, it lessens the bad effect on your eye due to lack of proper light. It's an amazing software. And I recommend this.
For more information check out the official website of Flu.x to know how to install. Follow the link:
- Give your eyes time to take proper rest. Take proper sleep and put water in your eyes and let your eyes feel cool and relaxed while taking break from studies, office work etc.
- Wash your eyes as soon as possible if any foreign particle enters your eyes somehow.
- Use eye drops whenever you have any allergy, dryness, watery eyes, itching etc, but ONLY the one which is prescribed by the doctor.
- Keep distance even while reading books. Keep a distance of 1 foot between your eyes and the book. Reading from a close point may induce hypermetropia.
- Talk to your family if your have any family history with any eye disease and take proper steps to avoid those diseases.
- Do eye exercises to avoid eye problems or to reverse the effects of any kind of eye problems.
More by this Author
A brief history on how calligraphy came into existence and became popular.
Here are some of the not-so-widely-known facts about depression.
Universe is an amazing place, full of stars, planets and what not. Today we're looking up at 5 amazing stars of the universe.