How to reduces the weight around your Abdominal: Belly Fat Diet
Making dietary changes to reduce the weight around your belly can cut risks of a variety of illness- gallbladder issues, high blood pressure and colorectal cancer. Some fat cells stored in the abdomen may also promote insulin resistance, which is linked to Type 2 diabetes. Therefore, it is important to get rid of that weight in the abdomen.
Belly fat mostly occurs because as we age, the loss of muscles mass combined with hormonal changes can lead to increased fat storage around the abdomen. Extra belly fat can indicate one or more of the following hormonal imbalance – high oestrogen, low testosterone, low DHEA (a harmone of the adrenal glands), high insulin and high cortisol. Abdominal fat also sets a risky stage for ageing, increasing the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- A persistently elevated level of the stress hormone – cartisol – is detrimental to health as well as to the body’s composition.
- · It increases appetite and food cravings
- · Stress causes abdominal fat (even in people who are otherwise thin)
- Abdominal fat in men increases the conversion of testosterone into oestrogen
- · As oestrogen levels rise, so does the tendency to accumulate more abdominal fat.
- · The risk of Prostate cancer also increases with higher levels of oestrogen in men.
- · A premenopausal woman with high levels of oestrogen (also known as oestrogen dominance) is likely to have PMS, too much body fat around the hips and will find difficult to lose weight.
- Testosterone levels decrease as abdominal fat converts it to oestrogen, and also with increasing stress
- When under stress, the body will tend to make more stress hormone (cortisol) than testosterone.
- Choose low fat, low calorie foods/ complex carbohydrates
- · Exercise portion control (reduce serving size; eat on smaller dishes/ plates)
- · Include good proteins
- · Drink water instead of sugar drinks
- · Recognise hunger and fullness cues
- · Eat more vegetables and fruits
- · Cut down on junk foods, sugary foods and solid fats.
- · Satisfy your sweet tooth by having a fruit/fruit youghurt/fruit cocktail dates, etc…
- Eat lean proteins, which will help to increase the metabolism and aid in muscle recovery.
- · Snack on vegetables, fruits or light popcorn instead of sugary and fatty snacks.
- · Choose grilled fresh water fish instead of red meat and regular ground beef.
- · Include chicken, fish, poultry and eggs to increase the protein.
- · Vegetarians may include whole grams like sorouts, chole, rajma, other pulses, paneer and peas.
- · 60 – 80 gm of proteins is the minimum requirement for a normal adult. It can vary from individual to individual.
Vegetables and Fruits
- Include all colourful vegetables and fruits. This will increase the fibre content in your diet and will make you feel fuller.
- · 30 – 35 gm of fibre should be consumed by a normal adult in a day.
- Substitute full fat dairy products with low fat versions.
- · Select a meal with whole grains and lean protein with vegetables.
- · Replace your non-vegetarian options with vegetarian ones to help cut down on cholesterol.
- Focus on the inclusion of MUFAs, or mono-unsaturated fatty acids, in each of your meals. For example, almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, fish, avocado and olives.
- · Healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, aid in normal bodily functions, hormonal balance and absorption of essential vitamins.
- · Furthermore, adding these fats to a daily meal can aid in satiating the appetite and prevent overeating or including in high sugar and fatty foods that eventually cause weight gain.
Vitamins And Minerals
- Vitamins responsible for reducing belly fat include Vitamin C, which boosts immunity and increases the BMR.
- · Vitamin E, which helps in maintaining oestrogen levels and in turn helps in reducing belly fat
- · Zinc supplementation is also said to reduce fat and maintain hormonal balance.
- · Selenium also contributes towards maintaining the body’s composition.
The Belly Fat diet
1 cup of lemon water with honey + a pinch of cinnamon; soaked nuts 8 nos
Jowar idli 2 nos with sambhar/cereal with 1 cup of skim milk; boiled egg white 2 nos
1 cup of buttermilk + flaxseed powder/1 cup of ragi malt
1 cup of brown rice and dal/1 cup of grilled fish; 1 cup of vegetables
1 cup of Fennal tea; high fibre biscuits 2 nos
Fruit 1no + yoghurt + soaked nuts 5 nos/1 cup of sattu soup
Jowar roti 1 no, dai and vegetables (Use olive oil for salad dressing)
More by this Author
Cutting curly hair is tricky business
Achy knees and hips etc. aren't inevitable as we age. And even if yours do already hurt, there are lots you can do to stop them getting worse.
Love your body and make fashion work for you. Accentuate the good and hide the flaws with fashion fixes that create the right illusions. Get comfortable in your own skin.