How to treat and prevent mouth ulcers
Buy Ambrosia Pure Honey for treatment and prevention of mouth ulcers - Read honey home remedy info below
WHAT ARE MOUTH ULCERS?
Mouth ulcers (stomatitis) are small erosions in the lining of the oral cavity or the tongue. They tend to be recurrent. They usually tend to disappear in about 7—10 days but cause a lot of discomfort. Mouth ulcer is also called an aphthous ulcer, canker sore or an oral ulcer and is a relatively common problem, so there are many causes for these ulcers. The pain is unbearable. One cannot speak, eat or drink properly.
CAUSES OF MOUTH ULCERS:
- Emotional stress.
- Local trauma in the form of ill-fitting dentures or a sharp tooth.
- Allergy to local applications like toothpaste.
- Vitamin deficiency, especially B-complex, folic acid.
- In females, sometimes in association with the menstrual cycle.
- Hereditary and familial tendencies are also seen.
- Poor oral hygiene such as not brushing teeth regularly.
- Spicy food.
- Drugs like antibiotics.
- Low immunity in any illness from TB to AIDS.
- Infectious origin like some bacteria or virus.
- Tartar in tooth surface.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MOUTH ULCERS:
- Tiny shallow erosions in the lining of the mouth or on the tongue.
- The base may be white or grey in colour.
- Increased salivation.
- Pain, burning sensation especially on contact with food or water.
- There may be bleeding from the ulcers.
- Mild fever if infection is the cause.
- Bad odour from the mouth.
HOW TO PREVENT MOUTH ULCERS:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Brush teeth at least twice a day.
- Do not brush too vigorously and use a soft toothbrush.
- Clean the tongue regularly but not harshly. Use toothpaste, mouthwash which suits you, and if you feel you are getting the problem due to it, change it. You may be allergic to it.
- Visit your dentist if you have a sharp tooth or a denture, which does not fit well.
- Avoid mental stress. Learn to relax and deal with stress.
- Avoid spicy hot food, alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid self-medication with antibiotics.
- Vitamin B complex and folic acid supplement will help.
- Have a diet rich in green leafy vegetables and cereals.
- You can use a cool mouthwash for temporary relief of pain.
- Consult your doctor if the ulcers bleed a lot.
Get past pain relief from mild mouth ulcers from over-the-counter anesthetics
My grandmother's home remedy for mild-to-moderate condition:
My grandmother told me about this remedy which I am sharing with you.
Take two teaspoonful of honey and gargle it for a while and swallow or spit out (diabetic patients are not allowed to swallow honey). Do it twice a day for two to three days and it will be cured.
Even though mouth ulcers are gastric in origin, in order to heal the ulcer, the above remedy will help you in curing the symptoms.
My grandmother is not there with us anymore but she told me one more thing to do. She told me to keep on drinking water again and again so that my mouth would not be dry for a single second. I tried this and it helped a lot. You can also try this out, keep a glass of water always with you and drink water after every 5 to 10 minutes, just a sip, I am not saying that you have to drink a full glass after 5 to 10 minutes, just a sip.
Try both of these remedies and let me know the results in the comments section below.
At last I would say that for more severe conditions, you should consult your family doctor or a good ENT specialist in your area.
Cold sore cures and home remedies for mouth ulcers
Resources from the web on treatment and prevention of mouth ulcers
- Treatment and Prevention of Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers. Ouch. Just saying the phrase can make your mouth hurt. Most people have experienced the pain of mouth ulcers at some point in their lives. That's due in part to the fact that there are so many...
- Mouth Ulcers Causes, Prevention & Treatment
Read about Causes for Mouth Ulcers and Treatment. Also know about the Prevention for Mouth Ulcers
More by this Author
You don’t have to worry if you are suffering from graying of your hair at an early age because you are not the only one. According to some recent studies and surveys, approximately half of world’s adult...
Hi friends. Today, I am going to share a secret home remedy with you which my mother used to give me when I was a child suffering from cough and cold. Especially In India it has been observed...
Are you afraid of driving a standard transmission car? If yes then read this article that I have written especially for beginners who want to kick start driving a standard transmission car. I have provided step by step...