How To Use Aromatherapy in Your Home
A Quick Aromatherapy 411
Aromatherapy is the use of scent to affect a person’s health or mood. Essential oils from plants and other scented plant compounds are the aromatic ingredients of aromatherapy.
While many people around the world have incorporated aromatherapy techniques into their conventional medical practices, people in the U.S. tend to use it more for its ability to affect their emotional state.
Ways You Can Use Aromatherapy to Create a Healthier Home
- In the Bath: Dilute 5 drops of lavender oil in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil, such as olive, almond, or coconut oil. Add to the bathwater. Lavender helps promote relaxation and sleep. Taking this bath before bed can help you and your kids sleep better.
- In the Air: A few drops of tea tree oil in an aromatherapy diffuser will help disinfect the air inside your house.
- At the Desk: Dab a few drops of peppermint oil on a cottonball and tape it under your desk chair. Peppermint helps increase alertness, so you can complete that homework or project without feeling drowsy. You can also place a peppermint cottonball under the seat of your car to help you remain alert while driving.
- In the Bedroom: Add a few drops of jasmine oil to water in a spray bottle to spray your pillow covers and sheets. Jasmine has a calming effect and helps you sleep.
- In the Dresser: Instead of stinky mothballs, store cottonballs with drops of lavender in your drawers to keep those moths away. Plus, your clothes will smell great.
Aromatherapy for Your Pets
Sprinkle a drop or two of lavender oil on your pet's bedding to calm the rambunctious or nervous fur ball.
Candles, Candles, Candles!
You can purchase aromatherapy candles for the different rooms in your house. They are simple to use and only require a bit of candle safety awareness.
You can put different scents in each room!
More by this Author
I've heard this question asked a lot lately--from co-workers, at online sites, and from friends during long walks around a local lake. The answer is NO. The purpose of wrist and ankle weights is not to intensify your...
The key to surviving breast cancer is early detection and treatment. By giving yourself a breast exam each month, you will notice if there are any changes in your breasts.
A beginner's guide to knitting a scarf. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to knit a homemade scarf with directions for knit and purl stitches, two easy scarf patterns, knitting terminology glossary, and valuable...