Hygiene, Bathing Techniques
Every culture, or race has a 'way' to bathe. Some for religious reasons, others for health reasons and others for relaxation and pleasure. Bathing has been around for thousands of years.
Cleopatra took milk baths for her beauty. The Bible talks about the baths that queen Esther took in preparation to meet the King, in which oils were used.
Some cultures pre wash their bodies before entering a tub of water, then stepping out to soap their bodies, then rinsing off before stepping back into a tub full of clean water to relax.
Some cultures steam before stepping into a tub to scrub.
My daughter thinks bathing is nasty. She says that the water gets dirty, soapy and she doesn't feel like she has gotten clean because of it, i have tried to tell her, that is because we have not done or taught how we are really supposed to bathe properly.
But she remains unconvinced that bathing has steps. She's a die hard shower person, because in her words the dirt is being washed away down the drain. She is correct but she is missing out on the experience of truly relaxing in a natural way, that is reminiscent of the womb.
- Pre Washing, rinsing with hot water, it's like taking a shower before entering a pool
- Immersion, putting your whole body in enough water to cover it
- Soaping, lathering, using mild soap, with little or no perfumes and dyes are better for bathing
- Scrubbing, what you use to clean your body is your preference but a wash cloth or rag, loofah, sponge or brush can be used. The choice is yours but make sure you are cleaning whatever you choose to use, because bacteria loves moisture.
- Exfoliating is also a key part of bathing. This is a method of gently scrubbing the body with a brush, in a circular motion to remove any build up of dead cells or dirt, revealing younger cleaner looking skin underneath. When exfoliating you must be careful not to brush too hard because you do want want abrasions. This also helps with circulation.
Where to start;
You should start at the top when bathing, I know some people start with their bottom half but starting at the head is cleaner with less germs or bacteria. Drying and rinsing should begin at the top as well this helps with the drip effect.
- Head, face, ears, neck, shoulders and collar bones
- Trunk or body, chest / breast, stomach, back, buttocks,
- Private / pubic area
- Arms & Legs
- Feet for last, washing between toes and soles of feet
Soaping and Scrubbing
- soap, lather & building up suds is important
- rub the soap on skin, circular motion is good
- Cold water
- Lukewarm water
- Hot water
When rinsing one should stand up and pour the clean fresh water over the head so that it runs down the body sweeping or washing away the soap and dirt left from scrubbing the body.
Bathing can be used for many medical reasons, as hydrotherapy, immersion for muscle recovery normally used by athletes. Birthing a baby in a tub of water is also popular. But health and beauty is the number one reason for bathing in a tub, yet relaxation and pleasure actually top the list after hygiene.
Tub technology and development
- Wash tub
- French tub
- Bath tub
- Standing tub
- Sunken tub
- Whirlpool tubs
- Handicap tubs
A cowboy is a method of bathing that uses little water, a wash cloth / rag and washing the body standing up.
What are tubs made of;
Tubs have been made from, wood, steel, plastic, iron etc., acrylic, fiberglass, enamel over steel or cast iron.
They can be functional or luxurious or both, that depends on what you are looking for and trying to accomplish when you take a bath.
So go ahead and take a great bath, for more than just hygiene.
- How to Take a Bath: 8 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
How to Take a Bath. Baths are enjoyable. Whether you bathe to clean up or to relax, a bath can be an enjoyable experience. Buy a bath pillow, lie back, put your legs up on the tile, and relax. Some may say that how to take a bath is...
More by this Author
The impact of social media and the tabloid gossip machine has lead to the new collective past time, voyeurism - watching others, although it is defined specifically attaching it to sexual fascination. In my opinion it...
OOOOOOhhh! There is nothing like soaking in a tub full of water, bath salts, and whatever else you feel you need to relax. The tranquility, the peace and the exotically relaxing sensation of immersing oneself in water...
Growing up in the Bahamas really was an awesome experience looking back as an adult. Through local fare we experienced the best that the world has to offer in exotic fruits although it was not exotic to the child that...
No comments yet.