Our body has a defence system which helps us fight against the invading viruses and bacteria which cause disease. The defence system comprises of spleen, lymph nodes, and white blood cells, also called as T cells. Do you want to increase your defences against diseases? Try out some Easy Immune Boosters.
If you are in a crowded place and someone with flu sneezes in your direction, right away germ-fighting substances in your skin and mucous membranes in your nose and mouth start working to prevent the virus from further invading your body. If these defences fail to stop the virus, then the virus will go further into the body. There it begins to reproduce itself by multiplying in number.
Now, the body’s defence system comes into action. The spleen and lymph nodes filter out the virus and call for help. White blood cells, or soldiers of the body, also called as the T cells, come and kill the virus if it can. The B cells secrete antibodies, also known as immunoglobulins, come in to action and bind to and destroy the intruders. If you had taken the vaccine for flu, your B cells would already recognize and kill the virus.
Here are some simple tricks to boost up your immune system and increase its capacity to fight disease:
- Chat with a friend. This will nurture positive emotions. Laughing and relaxing reduces stress and the levels of cortisol in the body which suppresses the immune system. Its reduction prevents the suppression of immune system.
- Eat Liver and Onions. Liver contains high amounts of selenium, zinc, magnesium, iron, copper, folic acid and vitamins B-6 and B-12. These boost immune system.
- Solve a crossword puzzle to relax. Stimulating the brain regions that store memory and judgement elevate the level of T cells.
- Make love to fight the bugs. Persons who have sex once or twice a week have higher levels of disease-fighting-antibodies secreted by B cells.
- Get lots of sleep. Sleep regenerates and stimulates the body’s immune system. Get 6-8 hours of shut eye to reduce your chances of getting ill.
- Take care of your belly. Alcohol, poor diet, and stress can change the intestinal flora. We have good bacteria in our digestive tract which have a bug-fighting capability. You can replenish these friendly bacteria by consuming curds and yeast.
- Take plenty of water, not soft drinks. Water keeps germ-fighting mucous membranes moist and functional.
- Watch funny channels on TV. Laughter boosts the immune system by suppressing cortisol levels in the body which inhibits the immune system.
- Walking boosts immune system. Walk for 45 minutes a day, five days a week. This will reduce your risk of illness by half.
- Remain in shade. The sun’s UV rays can reduce immunity by depleting T cells and immunity boosting skin cells.
- Go for seafood. It contains zinc, iron, selenium, copper, and magnesium that are good for your immune system.
- Go for a massage. Certain massage treatments stimulate lymph vessels, the immune circulatory system.
- Pray daily or meditate daily. This reduces stress and helps you get well soon when you’re ill.
More by this Author
Gakhar is a Mughlai Bread made of wheat flour and consumed with vegetarian or non-vegetarian curried dishes.
This hub is about tobacco which is a silent killer and it should not be consumed. Tobacco is very harmful to our body and it causes many forms of diseases in the consumer.
Eating less improves digestion by reducing dumping of extra food on digestive system. People who eat less live longer and have protection against obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and ischemic heart disease.