Increase Your Metabolism While Sitting At a Desk All Day
Office Yoga - Easy Exercises for Desk Jockeys
Richard Simmons Leads Fun Stretches for Desk Workers
2 Minute Mini-Walk
Exercise - More Than Diet - Affects Weight
With the influence of the computer, every year more and more people find themselves at jobs where they basically sit in a chair all day working on the computer. While many of these jobs can be stressful, frustrating and important - they do nothing to help burn calories during the day.
So, what's an office worker to do?
Is it possible to build metabolic rate even when an eight-hour schedule calls for sitting still most of the time? Absolutely!
There are quite a few things you can do to help increase the rate at which you burn calories - even when you're sitting behind a desk. Some of the top things office workers can do to help themselves along include:
* Bring your own healthy lunch and don't indulge in fast food. Although you may feel as though getting out into the fresh air and walking to and from your car is good exercise, the amount of calories in your meal will more than likely outweight your walking calories burned. Instead bring healthy snacks and small mini-lunches so that you can spend part of your lunch time walking or doing a few exercises.
* Desk exercises. Even when you're sitting, you can be moving. Take advantage of the host of desk exercise ideas out there to help you get your legs moving and your heart pumping. If you "Google" isometric or desk exercises you will find several hundred different types of exercises which can be performed at your desk.
And here's a tip - you can do isometric exercises at your desk, while waiting on line at a store or sitting on your couch and no one will even know that you are doing them.
* If it's at all possible, walk or bike ride to work. This can make the way to and the way home a whole lot more productive for you and your metabolism. Plus, it's much more environmentally friendly than driving or even taking the bus.
* Choose the furthest route. If your job involves visiting other departments or even buildings, take the longest route you can within the given time constraints. Rather than the elevator, for example, take the stairs.
If the building is particularly high, take the stairs part way and the elevator the rest. Every little bit can help. Don't believe those who say that in order for exercise to be beneficial is must be in 30 blocks of time. Scientists have found that by moving as much as possible all day can be a beneficial as being sedintary all day then do a 30 minutes workout.
* If you have a pedometer - wear it. Researchers have found that those who wear a pedometer walk further and burn more calories than those who don't wear one. The optiomal distance to walk is 10,000 steps. The longer you wear a pedometer the more steps you will find that you are walking daily.
* Use a cell phone? Keep it within hearing distance but far enough that you have to get out of your chair to answer it.
* Stop using the TV remote. Yep, you'll have to move your body to change channels. It may not seem like much but over time it will add up. Plus getting off of the couch works your leg and butt muscles.
Office workers have a particularly hard time dealing with metabolic rate. When a solid eight hours of sitting is demanded, it does take some creative thinking to keep the body moving and functioning as it should.
Generally, eating right and taking advantage of any and every opportunity to move can very much help. You don't have to give up the notion of tweaking your metabolism just because your job demands that you sit a lot. In fact, focusing on it could do you and your body a whole lot of good.
Comments 7 comments
Isometric and Resistance Band Exercise Books and DVD's
More by this Author
Body detoxing simply put is when you intentionally try to remove excess heavy metals, excess waste and chemicals from your body using herbal teas, juices, detoxing products and fasting. Although detoxing has become a...
Kettlenetics Slim and Tone System By now you've probably seen half a dozen or more ads for kettlentics and most of them start off with the line above "kettlenetics slim & tone system" then basically go on...
What are varicose and spider veins, what causes them and are there any ways to help alleviate the symptoms and the treatment options available.