Indian home-made Remedies
Remedies in your kitchen!
These home-made remedies have been passed on from generation to generation and have more often than not proved beneficial for various kinds of ailments, with no visible side-effects. However, these remedies are also a subject of debate, hence their usage by the readers is at their sole discretion/risk and this article should not be held responsible for any undesired result of their usage!
Mother nature has hidden in her, secrets and treasures which still astound the human race in general! Ancient herbs, roots, barks of trees, flowers, etc have always been used for curing human ailments. In fact many of the modern medicines derive their curing characteristics from extensive study of the by-products of nature.
Since time immemorial, before the advent of modern medicines and drugs, humans have been relying and using medicines derived out of the wonders of nature and have successfully found cures for a surprising number of ailments and diseases.
The capsule below lists the common ailments/conditions and their home-made remedies.
A photo capsule below the article displays quite a few items not seen so commonly!
Remedies right at home!
- Consume 1 glass of warm water mixed with 1 tsp honey and juice of half a lemon on an empty stomach in the morning. Make sure to do this for a period of 2-4 months.
- The leaves of the Curry Tree (Scientific name: Murraya koenigii ), are known anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hypercholesterolemic. Consuming 9-12 fully grown curry leaves is known to help reduce obesity.
- On an empty stomach, consume 1-2 tomatoes every morning. Obese people have been learned to benefit from this.
- Carrot juice mixed with a little water and with subsequent blending has desired effects of reducing weight.
- Add small amount of honey to a ginger paste and mix it with 1/2 Tsp of natural Guggul (Scientific Name: Commiphora Wightii). This combination proves effective in treating obesity.
- We all love Oranges, don't we?? :) While peeling the oranges, inhale the fragrance arising out of them. You can also drop an orange in Boiling water and inhale the vapor. This remedy is found to be useful for getting over nervousness.
- Place a drop of Primrose oil on your tongue and you can start seeing your nervousness vanish.
- In a cup of Orange juice, combine 2 spoons of honey with 1 Tsp nutmeg and consume the mixture.
3. Common Fever:
- One of the most effective remedy is to take a decoction of basil leaves. Take a small amount of basil leaves and boil them in about half a liter of water. Consume this decoction once a day and you would see the desired effect of the fever reducing.
- Have lots of Oranges. Orange is known to increase energy and also find against possible infections.
- Add 1Tsp of turmeric powder, a few onion and ginger pieces, a little portion of lemon grass, 1/2 Tsp Black pepper, a few basil leaves to a cup of boiling water and consume this mixture 3 times a day.
- A juice of tamarind leaves, turmeric powder in a little amount of cold water is also known to reduce fever and fight against infections.
4. Body odor:
- Put a few drops of rosewater in the bath-tub prior to taking bath. Rosewater helps retain freshness and also reduce odor of the body.
- Mix a little amount of apple cider vinegar in a mug of water and rinse the armpits while bathing.
- Squeeze the grated pieces of turnip to apply on your under arms in order to remove odor.
- Sucking a piece of clove gives immediate relief to acidity.
- If you are a regular sufferer of acidity, suck on around 10-15 gm of jaggery everyday after meals. This would reduce acid formation in the stomach.
- Drinking tender coconut water 2-3 times a day is also known to cure acidity.
- For people with acidity problems on a daily basis, regular consumption of fresh mint juice would provide relief.
- Have a bowl of Yogurt for immediate relief from acidity.
- Have a glass of warm water every day in the morning, as water is known to neutralize acidity.
- One of the simplest yet more effective cure for Diarrhea is to consume ripe banana with curd.
- Ginger is known to cure cramps and pain arising out of diarrhea. Consuming ginger tea is often known to bring relief.
- Mix 1/4 tsp of pepper powder with 1/2 tsp each of lime juice and ginger juice. Consume this mixture twice a day.
- After each meal, mix 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and consume it.
- In a cup of cold milk, blend a handful of chopped red radishes and 1/2 a tsp of cornstarch. This is an effective cure for diarrhea.
7. Common Cold:
- One of the widely used remedy is to mix lime juice and a tsp of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and consume it.
- Garlic is a natural antiseptic and hence consumption of garlic soup is an effective way of curing common cold.
- Add 2gms of roasted asafetida to a glass of warm milk and slowly consume this mixture twice a day.
- Grind a fine mixture of Tulsi (Scientific name: Ocimum tenuiflorum or commonly known as Holy Basil ) ginger in equal amounts and consume this mixture twice a day.
- Garlic oil has proven to be an effective cure for backaches. Fry 9-10 cloves of garlic in around 60 ml of Mustard/Sesame/Coconut oil. After straining the oil, allow the oil to cool down a bit. A gentle massage at the effected area with this oil would provide adequate relief from the aches.
- If the pain is persistent, apply a gentle dosage of mint oil to the affected region and perform a gentle and prolonged massage.
- Cut a potato into cubes. Boil the potato cubes and mash them. On cooling down a bit, apply this mash to the affected portion and hold it in place using a bandage for an hour.
- Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon and add a pinch of common salt to it. Consume this mixture twice a day.
- A massage with turpentine oil is yet another effective home remedy for backache.
- The first and foremost is to consume a minimum of 3-4 liters of water everyday. Water not only helps in digestion but also is a very essential element for dissolving the nutrients in the body.
- Molasses have been known to cure various ailments and is also considered as an effective cure for constipation. Consume 2 Tbsp of molasses before sleeping for effective relief.
- If you have been suffering from a prolonged problem of constipation, consume half a cup of cabbage juice twice a day for long-term benefits.
- Store water in a copper vessel overnight. Drink this water in an empty stomach in the morning.
10. Hair Loss:
- Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of minerals, vitamins, and phytonutrients. Soak a few fenugreek seeds in a pot of water. Massage this mixture in the scalp and cover the scalp with a cloth for about 2-3 hours. Repeat this procedure for a month and you will start noticing the reduction in the hair loss.
- Add a tsp of mustard seeds to a cup of boiling water. Boil this mixture for about 15 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool a bit. Drink this mixture.
- Massaging an uncooked egg yolk on the scalp for an hour followed by a thorough wash is an effective way to treat hair loss.
- Olive oil head massage by rubbing it to the scalp is also known to be an effective remedy for hair loss.
- Massage the hair roots with coconut milk followed by a thorough rinse. This is an old and beneficial way to curb hair loss.
Photos of a few items listed in the article!
Ayurvedic Home Remedies!
Which branch of Medicine is the most effective in curing varous ailments?See results without voting
More by this Author
Ancient India- from time immemorial has been associated with mysteries! Discover the most astounding unsolved mysteries from Ancient India that will keep you thinking!
We have often been intrigued by the mystifying factor of 'LUCK' in all our lives. This hub tries to explain the phenomenon and how it plays an all important role in our lives. This hub also tries to narrow down the thin...
No matter who we are and where we come from, we all are connected with the fear of the dark, the unknown! In continuation with the chronicle of the most haunted places in India, this hub identifies the lesser known...