Toothpaste with Fluoride Can Kill You
Toothpaste with Fluoride Can Kill You If Swallowed
Toothpaste can seriously harm you. In fact, swallowing a large amount of toothpaste can kill you. On an episode of CSI, the murder weapon was toothpaste. Can you believe it...toothpaste?
There is not enough fluoride in toothpaste to kill you by brushing your teeth; however, if you swallow a large amount of toothpaste, it will kill you. When you brush your teeth, you spit out the toothpaste instead of swallowing it. Besides, it is such a small amount that it will not cause harm.
Most toothpastes sold in grocery stores and drug stores contain fluoride. Fluoride in toothpaste may cause health risks, especially in children. Swallowing too much fluoride can cause acute poisoning and even death in some cases.
The FDA requires a poison warning on every tube of fluoride toothpaste sold in the United States. The warning states that the toothpaste should be kept out of reach of children under age 6. It also advises to seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately if a large amount of toothpaste has been accidentally swallowed.
To be on the safe side, parents should make sure their children don't use toothpaste containing fluoride.
Toothpaste Comes with a Warning
You might not have noticed this, but every tube of toothpaste comes with a warning to keep away from children under 6 years old. While fluoride in small quantities is good for preventing cavities, too much of it is very dangerous.
Adults would have to swallow at least 24 6-ounce tubes of fluoride toothpaste for it to cause harm. A dangerous dose for a small child is much less.
Was this information helptul?See results without voting
More by this Author
There are at least two things you can do to help eliminate sugar out of your bloodstream.
Eating peanut butter is a quick way to lower blood sugar level if you are a diabetic.
You can do more with Listerine than to merely gargle with it.
No comments yet.