Is Yoga Safe and Good for Pregnant Women?
Is yoga technique safe for pregnant women? Yes, yoga is safe for pregnant women, but you need to be careful when doing it and consult a health provider before embarking on it. If you have been doing yoga before you were pregnant, it is relatively safe but be mindful of the overall response of your body to yoga. The importance of overall health when you are pregnant should be emphasized. Exercise is a way to stay healthy in the course of your pregnancy as it is beneficial to your baby as well. Exercise help a pregnant woman in being happy and to have an enjoyable pregnancy. Yoga help women in the overall healthy status of pregnancy and it is an exercise recommended by lots of ob-gyn because it helps in the mental, physical and emotional health of the pregnant women.Studies have shown that the ehelth of the mother is important for the health of the unborn baby.
I started writing about health and pregnancy and this one is included in that series of hubs about overall health of women during pregnancy. Please check out my other hub about fitness and exercise for pregnant women -- Simple and Easy Exercise for Pregnant Women.
Yoga is Safe for Pregnant Women
What is Yoga?
- Yoga is a form of exercise or meditation which originated in India. It is an ancient traditional method of healing which focuses in the body-mind coordination. The word yoga has lots of meanings and it was derived form the Sanskrit word meaning to "control", "yoke", "unite" "joining", "uniting", "union", "conjunction", and "means". It can also mean "contemplation" or "absorption".
Benefits of Yoga During Pregnancy
Yoga is a technique that is recommended as a form of exercise to pregnant women because it is helpful in the emotional, physical and mind body coordination Plus it is recommended for the following reasons :
- It helps in breathing techniques needed when you are in labor
- When you meditate you experience self actualization and happiness which is good for both the baby in the womb and the mother
- It is healthy for your uterus, joints and legs for natural delivery
- It helps in overall calming of your fears, tensions and conflicting emotions brought about by the hormonal changes in your body
The Five Tools of Yoga are : breathing, yoga exercise, meditation, Mudras and Bandhas – (the psycho-physical stimulation of these gestures are very healthful for your uterus) plus deep relaxation.
Why is Yoga Needed and Recommended for Pregnant Women
- According to a Yogini expert Jeannine Parvati Baker -Practicing Yoga during pregnancy is one way to heal the split between soul and spirit found in our culture. Prenatal Yoga sexualizes spirituality and spiritualizes fertility. It is the tantric practice of mothers. Once the babies come planetside, our yoga practice shifts into karma Yoga beyond belief. We become servants to our babies and our path is bhakti Yoga,the practice of devotion. Giving conscious birth is woman’s vision quest, par excellence. It is ultimate sadhana, spiritual practice, – which requires purity in strength, flexibility, health, concentration, surrender, and faith.---
- Another Yogini Roxanne Kamayani Gupta, Ph.D added that --As Yoginis we must conceive of a new liberation, one that does not seek a simplistic transcendence but rather a complex integration...By using yogic techniques that integrate the emotional and physical with the spiritual, women-- plus men who have the courage to resonate with their own feminine power-- can strengthen themselves not only to resist the negativity of these tumultuous times but to positively influence the direction of life on earth--
Is Yoga Safe for Pregnant Women - Youtube Part I Tutorials on Yoga for Pregnant Women
Pre and Post Natal hubs
- Simple and Easy Exercises for Pregnant Women
Are there simple and easy exercises for pregnant women? Yes, there are some exercises which are simple and easy for pregnant women to do.The joy of pregnancy is the joy of womanhood, that being said, you need...
- Are Natural Herbals Safe for Pregnant Women?
Pregnant women should have complete nutrition and they should be healthy because they are eating for themselves plus the baby in their womb. Staying healthy means an overall package of health and lifestyle...
- Quick exercise for post natal moms : achieving "tummylicious" look
Being a mother is the sweetest thing in the world, the smile of your newborn baby makes your world a brighter place and you can feel that you can do anything now that you have a baby. I am a mom...
Is Yoga Safe for Pregnant Women - Youtube Part II Tutorials on Yoga for Pregnant Women
General Safety Precautions When Doing Yoga When You Are Pregnant
- Consult a health provider when you start to embark on a yoga technique
- Decide whether you are going to a yoga class or you can do it on your own. If you decide the latter it is good because all you need to do is to master the two videos above or choose available YOGA DVDs used for pregnant women
- Wear the proper attire preferably a comfortable clothes
- Don't exert so much twisting and contortion of your back and lower back portion of your body
- Discontinue if you are in pain, don't force yourself as this might put strain in your pelvic and uterus area.
Yoga is a good exercise for a pregnant woman because it helps in the overall health in terms of physical and mind coordination. Pregnant women who practice yoga doesn't have difficulty in giving birth plus they are at ease during labor
More by this Author
Carrying a baby is a joyful thing but then it also require us to change our lifestyle specifically pertaining to mother's total health. I am continuing my series of hubs about health, fitness/exercises during pregnancy,...
Do you want to get pregnant faster? here are some ways for you to do so that you can achieve your reproductive goals. When two people love each other and they want to start a family there are various ways on how to...
Lucky and Unlucky Numbers in Chinese Culture The study of Chinese culture is very interesting because they have so much superstitions and beliefs like numerology, using the laws of heaven and earth (astronomy and...