It is all about Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is one among the chronic diseases. It is characterized by intense, widespread pain and tenderness with a minimum of three months. But still we can manage the pain and one can feel better by following a few steps.
At present there are no tests like x-rays or blood tests to diagnose the disease. Fibromyalgia symptoms may be mistaken for some other conditions. This is the reason it becomes really difficult for the health care professionals to diagnose.
However, some healthcare professionals may follow specific guidelines that help to diagnose the disease. One such guideline is set by American College Of Rheumatology. According to these guidelines one can have Fibromyalgia if one has both the following symptoms.
1. Pain that is both chronic, widespread and also affects both right and left side of the body
2. When light pressure is applied, feels pain in at least 11 of 18 possible tender points (both sides distributed equally).
These guidelines can be used by any healthcare provider to help diagnose a disease.
Feel free with your healthcare provider to discuss all the symptoms affecting you. This helps you to work together thus in turn helps in managing your symptoms.
Important safety information about Cymbalta
Cymbalta is an antidepressant. In common, antidepressants increase suicidal thoughts and behaviors in all age groups like children, teens and adults. The known risk of depression or any other psychiatric disorder is suicide. If any symptoms like worsening depression, unusual changes in behavior, and thoughts of suicide occur contact your doctor immediately. Special observation is to be done within first few months of treatment of there is a change in dose.
What to discuss with the health care provider
Caregivers, Patients on antidepressants and their families should carefully keep an eye on certain symptoms like thoughts of suicide, anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, difficulty in sleeping, worsening depression symptoms, unusual changes in behavior, irritability, hostility, restlessness, impulsivity, aggressiveness or extreme hyperactivity. If any of the above symptoms are severe or even if you have thoughts of suicide contact your healthcare provider. As already mentioned special observation should be there in first few months of treatment or when there is a change in the dose.
Who should avoid Cymbalta
Cymbalta should be avoided if:
1. An antidepressant monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) has been already taken.
2. Increased angle eye pressure known as Glaucoma occurs without control.
3. Thioridazine named Mellaril has been administered.
Other important information that should be discussed with the health care provider
Always consult your health care provider before taking Cymbalta about:
1. All medical conditions like diabetes, seizures, glaucoma, kidney or liver problems or even a bipolar disorder. This is because Cymbalta may worsen the above conditions more.
2. The use of alcohol.
3. If medicines either prescribed or nonprescribed are taken for migraine, which addresses a life threatening condition.
4. If NSAID pain relievers, aspirin, blood thinners are taken. This is because use with Cymbalta may in turn increase the risk of bleeding.
5. If one is planning to become pregnant or is breeding at the time of pregnant.
While one is given Cymbalta, one should talk to health care provider about:
1.If liver problems like dark urine, yellow skin/eyes, right upper belly pain, itching, unexplained flu like symptoms persists. This is because severe liver problems had been reported in the past.
2.If conditions like stiff muscles, high fever and confusion persists that addresses a life threatening condition.
3. Before stopping or changing Cymbalta.
4. While increasing the dose or starting with Cymbalta if conditions like dizziness or fainting upon standing is experienced.
5. Blood pressure should be continuously monitored by the health care provider as there is a risk of increase in blood pressure while taking Cymbalta.
6. If problems like weakness, poor concentration, memory problems, confusion, headache, feeling unsteady occurs, this suggests low sodium levels.
7. Urine flow problems.
Side effects of Cymbalta
Nausea is the most common side effect of Cymbalta. Whereas, constipation, decreased appetite, dry mouth, sleepiness, and increased sweating are the other side effects. The above mentioned are only some of the side effects.
Other safety information
As mentioned above dizziness and sleepiness is caused by Cymbalta. Keeping this in mind, you should avoid driving a car or handling hazardous machinery.
More by this Author
As a means of enticing consumers, a number of beauty products include vitamin E as one of the components. Vitamin E is not only essential in eradicating and preventing health issues such as cardiac ailments,...
No comments yet.