It's a Pirates Life For Me! 10 Life Lessons That We Can Learn from Captain Jack Sparrow
Let’s face it….traditionally pirates have always been considered the bad guys.
According to the definition on Dictionary.com, a Pirate is “a person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea.”
This controversial archetype has recently been popularized in the contemporary media scene by the movie series “Pirates of the Caribbean”. Amidst the gruesome creatures and nasty pirates, most viewers can’t help but develop a fondness for the peculiar and strangely endearing Captain Jack Sparrow. A fascinatingly complex figure, he has scraped through numerous life threatening situations during his adventures while still maintaining an air of nonchalance and composure. And even when he runs, he does it in a style, not losing face!
In today’s ever changing and fast paced world I wonder if perhaps we can all benefit from having a little Jack Sparrow in all of us?
Of course you might say it’s all based on fiction and that reality is very different. But there are times in our lives when our daily life situations may resemble that of a pirate’s adventures filled with chaos, drama and unpredictable circumstances. No matter which reality you are living what really matters is how you respond to whatever comes your way. The source of a real freedom comes from our responses to various life circumstances while maintaining our sense of peace and inner strength.
Jack Sparrow may be just another swashbuckling pirate but there are certainly some valuable traits that we can learn from him. Here are top ten things that we can learn from Captain Jack Sparrow:
- No matter how many people befriend him he knows that he can only count on himself and trusts in his own intelligence.
- He doesn’t care what others think about him or his behavior, he does what he thinks is right.
- He sets his own rules and can command respect and obedience from others. But in times of danger he submits temporarily to ensure his survival while quitely planning a way out.
- No matter how many times his plans fail, he never gives up!
- He lets life carry him and goes with the flow. Rarely stressed and overwhelmed he faces whatever comes up as a bold and wild player in the game of life.
- He is a master of improvisation and is flexible in his approach ready to change course whenever needed.
- He knows how to have a good time and maintains a sense of humor through it all.
- He trusts his gut feelings.
- He is not trying to pretend to be someone else and is proud of being a pirate!
- He is not concerned about the end results and trusts that what really matters is what happens in between and not the end result. Life is an ongoing adventure for him!
Please note that I'm not suggesting that you emulate all his traits. After all being a pirate does entail some dishonesty, unpleasant scheming and bad personal hygiene! What you should take from all of this is to focus on building the courage required to deal with the unknown, becoming comfortable with life’s uncertainties and facing it with a sense of sense of wonder and passion!
Angelica: I am starting to think you don’t know where you are going.
Captain Jack Sparrow: It’s not the destination so much as the journey.
More by this Author
“All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts,” -William Shakespeare To really understand...