Kachnar Or Orchid Tree And Its Health Benefits
Kachnar Or The Orchid Tree
Latin Name : Bauhinia variegata
Indian Names : Kachnar,
Common Names : Orchid tree, Mountain ebony, Camel's foot tree
The Orchid or Kachnar TreeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Kachnar Or The Orchid Tree
Kachnar is a medium sized tree that reaches a height of 50 to 60 feet. It is native to India, Pakistan and Southern China; in fact to Southeast Asia.
The leaves are large and broad and are bilobed both at the apex and the base. The orchid tree bears white or pink flowers. The fruit is a long pod about a foot long with several seeds ranging from 10 to 15 inside.
The orchid tree is also popularly grown as an ornamental tree, for its scented flowers and for medicinal purposes as many of its parts like the leaves, flowers, buds, bark and root are used medicinally.
Kachnar grows in tropical to sub tropical areas of the world apart from growing in the Himalayan range.
Kachnar is also used as an ingredient in many foods. The flower buds are used as food cooked either alone or used in meat dishes. They are considered a delicacy.
Kachnar leaves are used as animal fodder.
Health Benefits Of Kachnar
In the Ayurvedic texts, sushruta Samhita and Charaka Samhita, many therapeutic properties have been ascribed to kachnar.
Kachnar is believed to pacify the 3 doshas of Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Some of the benefits of extracts of the orchid tree that studies have revealed are :
- Regulate blood sugar. The protein present in the leaves have insulin like activity.
- Protect the kidneys against toxicity and damage due to accumulation of toxic chemicals.
- Protect the liver. Extracts of kachnar protect the liver against carbon tetrachloride toxicity.
- Heal intestinal ulcers by decreasing the output of gastric acids.
- Control the formation of tumors and also possess cancer preventing properties.
- Heal wounds faster when compared to a control group.
- Has tonic and restorative properties.
- Relieve diarrhea and remove intestinal worms.
- Act as a diuretic.
- Have anti inflammatory and anti microbial properties.
- Decoction of kachnar bark is useful in alleviating skin diseases.
- Kachnar has the capacity to purify the air by cleaning up the atmospheric and soil pollution. The roots have nitrogen fixing properties.
- The flowers and buds are useful in flatulence and joint pains.
Some Ayurvedic Remedies With Kachnar
- For Mouth Ulcers & Bad Breath
Take dried bark pf kachnar and pound it coarsely. To 10 grams of this add 400 ml water. Let it come to a boil and then simmer till about 100 ml of water remains.
Remove from heat, cool a bit and filter the water. Gargle with this water while still warm. Do this 2 to 3 times daily. This is a very effective remedy for mouth ulcers and works even where other medications have failed to provide relief.
- For Diarrhea And Intestinal Mucus
Powder the bark. Take 3 grams of this powder with water twice a day; once in the morning and again in the evening.
- For Difficulty In Urination
Remove the seeds from the long pod like fruit. Powder the seeds. Take 1 gram of this seed powder twice a day, in the morning and evening, with water. It relieves problems in urination.
- For Liver Problems And Jaundice
Extract juice from kachnar leaves. Drink 2 times a day. Dose adults 50 ml and children 15 ml.
This juice improves the liver function and reduces enlargement of the liver.
- For Thyroid Problems And Tonsils
Pound about 20 grams of kachnar bark and add 200 ml of water to it. Boil and then simmer the water till it reduces to 50 ml.
Strain and drink.
- To Improve Appetite
Drink juice of kachnar leaves.
- For Tumors, Cysts & Fibroids
Boil 5 grams of dry bark or 10 grams of fresh bark in 400 ml of water till the water is reduced to 100 ml. Strain and drink.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some of Mt Other Hubs On Medicinal Plants
- Charoli Or Chironji - The Indian Medicinal Plant - Its Health Benefits, Nutrients, Uses And Recipes
Charoli or chironji is an Indian medicinal plant whose seeds are used in sweet desserts and cuisine. They are also used in Ayurveda. Read to learn about its health benefits, nutrients, uses and more...
- Flame Of the Forest - Butea monosperma - Palash Tree - Some Uses And Health Benefits
Flame of the forest, Butea monosperma, Palash, Dhak, Bengal kino, Bino kino, Parrot tree ... One tree, various names, as varied as its health benefits. Read on for more on this amazing tree...
- The Indian Medicinal Plant - Amaltas Or Cassia fistula
Amaltas or cassia fistula is an Indian medicinal tree that is used in Ayurvedic medicine. Learn about the amaltas tree and its many health benefits...
- Flame Of The Forest - Delonix regia - The Gulmohar Tree
Read all about the gulmohar tree or the commonly called flame of the forest tree.
- Sahjan Or Moringa oleifera - Nutrition And Health Benefits
Sahjan or Moringa oleifera is a medicinal plant that is not only a nutritional powerhouse but has incredible health benefits. Learn about the many nutrient and health benefits of Sahjan or Moringa...
- Flame Of The Forest - Spathodea - African Tulip Tree
Spathodea, Flame of the forest, African tulip tree, Pichkari, Nandi flame are the names of the same tree. Learn about the various facets of this wonderful tree and its medicinal properties and uses...
- Sadabahar, Periwinkle Plant Or Vinca Rosea - Health Benefits and Uses
Sadabahar, Periwinkle or Vinca rosea is a medicinal plant that is very easy to grow. It has several varieties that can also be grown for ornamental purposes. Read about the health benefits of sadabahar in this article...
Mountain ebony tree (Orchid tree) in Dalat - Hoa Ban Đà Lạt
Bauhinia Tree(Butterfly Tree or Orchid Tree)
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Sesame and sesame oil is a health food. sesame oil is much used in Ayurvedic medicines because of its many health giving properties. To know how you can benefit from using sesame oil, read on...
This is my review of Organic India Tulsi Green Tea. This is an unsponsored review.
There are different types of salts available in the market. Read about 2 of these types of salt that are healthy for us-sendha namak or rock salt and kala namak or black salt and their health benefits...