How to Be Kind
Be kind to and experience the helper's high
We have all experienced kindness from a stranger in one way or another. Well, hopefully you have. The kind gesture might have been big or small. Regardless, I hope the act made an impact on you and made your day! Or Week! Or Year!
I know I've had many encounters. It's because of those frequent, enlightening moments I gravitate towards passing on kindness to strangers.
Have you ever experienced a "helper's high?" It's a known fact that regularly performing acts of kindness will increase your personal feelings of confidence and self-worth. Your state of mind will become more optimistic.
People who perform kind deeds have a general happier disposition than those who don't. The next time you might happen to be in a funk, consider doing a good deed for someone else and enjoy your helper's high.
The kind gesture doesn't need to dramatic or mind-blowing. Simple gestures could be just as beneficial as huge gestures. What matters most is the thought you place into your action of kindness. I believe in what goes around, comes around.
The behavior of showing kindness to strangers shouldn't be practiced because you want others to do for you. This ritual should come from the heart. It should come natural. When doing a kind act you shouldn't even think about it, just do it.
Start small with your acts of kindness
- Hold open a door
- Allow someone to go in front of you while waiting in line
- If you see a child holding their privates in a restroom, let the child use the stall first
- Carry your neighbor's grocery bags
- Donate clothing to a charity
- Volunteer with children's programs
- Drive and accompany someone to a doctor's appointment
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter
Practice makes perfect
Over time you will get used to acting accordingly. You might begin to notice strangers making weird expressions at first. This is because kindness isn't as popular as it should be. As a society we keep our distance due to stress and uneasy reactions.
We think that someone might be offended or irritated if we overstep our boundaries. Some of us don't like confrontations so we just avoid or ignore.
Some of us might need babysteps or reminders on how to show kindness. Some of us might not be accustomed to this lifestyle. You will be surprised at how much of a difference you could make. Showing kindness to strangers might actually become addictive!
- Flip the bill for an elderly couples meal at a restaurant
- Donate your old car to a charity so someone who needs wheels could get a job
- Gift a tired mom a gift card for a mani and pedi
- The next time you are at the movies purchase two extra tickets and hand them to the next person in line
- While driving and you notice a stranded motorist changing a flat tire, offer to help
- Treat someone you love who has been through a rough time to a vacation. It could be a weekend at a spa or a cruise to the caribbean.
You are too kind!
I guarantee the more kindness you give, the more you will notice in return! When you least expect it someone will do something nice for you and the happy trail will continue.
Always take into consideration that everyone we meet is fighting a battle. It doesn't matter what kind of battle it is, but to the fighter it's huge. Your act of kindness could make all the difference to them. You might never know it, but I bet you will feel it.
So go ahead. Take baby steps if you need to. Or dive right in and go big. Either path you select I bet you will become addicted.
Be kind and rewind...
While amongst strangers we unfortunately witness moments we wish we never did.
During these times the kindest thing for us to do is look away and try to erase the images from our mind.
- The nose picker who is digging for gold.
- The wedgie picker who looks around first, but gets busted anyway.
- The gas passer who leaves a stench trailing behind them.
- The adjuster. Male or female. Upper or lower.
Do you practice random acts of kindness?See results without voting
Random Acts of Kindness
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
More by this Author
The reasons to be happy are infinite. I've compiled 101 reasons for this list. We all have unique reasons that make our hearts super happy, feel free to add your reasons. Keep on shining!
Most of us aren't as daring as others. Most of us constantly say "one day" I'll try it or not. I've compiled a list of 50 things to do once in lifetime. How about the next time you "do" instead of...
The year 1966 included the ongoing war in Vietnam, music by the Beatles and the Beach Boys, the Salvation Army turning 100 years old and Halle Berry and Cindy Crawford were born...