Lactose intolerance - How to get use to it when drinking milk
Have you ever wonder why you get stomach cramps when you drink pure unsaturated milk, whether it is ultra-high treated (UHT) or pasteurized? I feel the same way whenever I drink one glass of milk every morning. It is because we suffer from lactose intolerance. I remember my father getting angry when my mother urged him to drink milk. He always reasoned out that he always experience stomach cramps whenever he drink milk and the worse, loose bowel movement (LBM) or to top it all, you'll have irritable bowel movement (ITB), too!
In layman's term, the doctor will explain to us that our stomach cannot stand excess lactose content because of its acidity. To moderate the adverse effects when drinking milk, I've found four simple ways to enjoy our morning breakfast while drinking milk.
Four ways to be acquainted when drinking milk everyday
- Taste a teaspoon of milk. Then, taste a one or two teaspoons of sugar. It will help you get used with lactose intolerance. Drink your milk slowly. Don't drink it all in just one setting.
- If you like eating cheese, choose cheddar or hard Swiss cheese. Since cheese is a milk product, you can choose the 99.9 per cent lactose-free cheese.
- Inspect the label of yogurt. If it contains live, active cultures, it can fight that adverse effects of milk that can cause gas pain, stomach bloating and cramps.
- Add chocolate mix into your milk. A teaspoon or two of cocoa powder can lessen the effects of lactose intolerance.
The Facts about Lactose Intolerance
Since where not getting any younger, we are most prone to lactose intolerance. It is because our small intestines are not making enough enzyme called lactase to neutralize the adverse effects of drinking milk. The minimal production of lactase in the small intestines can be caused by small intestine flu or the lifelong disease called cystic fibrosis. There are rare cases that newly-born babies are lactose intolerant.
Even if we drink milk, we cannot get sufficient calcium from it alone. We have to add the following to our daily food consumptions:
- Broccoli, okra, kale, collards, and turnip greens.
- Canned sardines, tuna, and salmon.
- Calcium-fortified juices and cereals.
- Calcium-fortified soy products such as soy milk, tofu, and soybeans.
Our doctors will always ask about our symptoms then prescribe the necessary medicine to counter the effects of lactose intolerance. A doctor will order a hydrogen breath test, a blood sugar test, or a stool acidity test to confirm the diagnosis.
Lactose Intolerance and the Evolution of Human Digestion c/o ForaTv
More by this Author
Sweaty and dark underarms are but a shame to most women. It's okay for men, but it seems they are feeling the same thing, too. With some cosmetic enhancement, you can raise your arms without worrying of those dark...
Sambong tea is now commercially available at the nearest drug store if you're interested aside from its capsule version. Other benefits are enumerated here in this hub.
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.