Ear Massage - Learn Ten Easy-to-do Ear Massages
Ear Massage - Learn Ten Easy-to-do Ear Massages
I was reading an article this morning on how to enjoy yourself during the holidays with your friends and family, and eating those oh-so-temptingly delicious foods and deserts, without guilt over gaining weight. Is this even possible? Well, according to Dr. Grigory Sadkhin, weight loss expert and founder of The Sadkhin Complex - yes, it is. He shared with us a few ways to go from Thanksgiving through New Years without gaining a pound (or a guilty conscience).
While I was reading, I thought "Nothing new here." from..
- choosing your alcohol drinks - Skip sweet cocktails (rich in sugar and carbohydrates), and go for champagne, dry wine, or drinks straight up. One whiskey straight up, please. Ugh!
- having sex - Nothing like an early-morning romp to start your day with holiday cheer. Sex in the morning is a great substitute for exercise and will help relieve holiday-related stress. Whoopee!
- to getting enough sleep. Dr. Sadkhin recommends aiming for 10 p.m. during the winter, pointing out that your body makes up for a lack of sleep by overeating. Having a 10 p.m. curfew will surely give you an excuse to leave the party before karaoke starts. But... but I love karaoke!
OMG! Shoot me now, why don't you?
Suddenly, something caught my attention. It's about massaging your ear before you start eating. Apparently, giving your earlobes a quick thirty-second rub, will stimulate the brain, relieve stress, and lower your appetite, all while sitting at the table! Seriously!
Well, now they're talking!
Ten Best Easy-to-do Ear Massages
Rubbing your ears sends happy feelings into your body by triggering the release of brain endorphins. It boosts the immune cells in your body, reduces feelings of stress or anxiety and helps you relax. Just touching your ears feels good and does your body a whole lot of good.
And if you're lucky enough to have someone else massage your ear, you will notice a feeling of sensual excitement. That is because there are many nerves in the ear and when circulation is increased it can influence the way the whole body feels.
Ear reflexology can be applied quickly and easily in situations or health conditions. The history of ear reflexology can be traced back to Chinese and Egyptian medical work of about 3000 to 4000 years ago. The Chinese have used ear reflexology via acupressure and acupuncture for thousands of years to address all sorts of health issues in the body. Ayurvedic medicine has also known for centuries that the Marma (energy) points in your ears connect to your organs and whole body
The many benefits to ear massage includes: relieves tension, boosts the immune system, releases toxins, relieves pain, improves circulation, and assists all sorts of healing in the body and promotes general well-being. Awesome, isn't it?
But you certainly don’t need an understanding of ear reflexology to receive all the soothing, relaxing and well-being benefits. Simply do what feels right for you - rub, pull, massage using oil or no oil, all over your ear, along the outside or only the ear lobes and you'll refresh your mind, calm yourself down, energize your body and release a healthy dose of endorphins into your blood stream.
So we're going to learn how to massage our ears. Take your time and enjoy.
Are you ready? Here goes...
Ear Massage #1 - Complete tune-up for all parts of your body.
Sit comfortably with your back braced against the back of your chair, feet flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart. Be sure to sit up straight but relaxed.
- Grasp your ear flap(s) gently between your thumb and forefinger. You may work on one ear at a time or both at the same time.
- Knead the ear(s) for at least 30 seconds.
- Then, pull carefully on the earlobe(s) for a few seconds.
- Rub your hands together to warm the palms. Place your hands lightly over your ears with the fingers pointed toward the back of your head.
- Tap your fingertips on your head several times.
When you’re finished, close your eyes and breathe in and out 6 to 12 times to end your session.
To enhance your massage session, use (TW 17 shown in the picture). You can find this pressure point at the indentation behind your earlobe .
- Press gently on this spot one ear at a time or both at the same time with your middle finger for a full minute.
Benefits: This point will relieve ear pain, jaw pain, facial spasms, a swollen throat, mumps and toothaches.
Don’t forget to drink water at the end of your exercise session or any time you begin to feel thirsty. A Word of Caution…If you have or have had problems with your kidneys, please consult your physician.
Ear Massage #2 - To increase energy
If you really need to energize yourself then give your ears the full aerobic workout.
- Use your fingers to rub and massage every inch of your outer ears.
- Gradually move towards the centre of your ear massaging all the tricky hard to get at places.
- Now move to behind your ears pushing the ear flaps slightly forward so you can massage well behind your ears and into the ridge that connects your ear to your skull.
If you notice some areas of your ears are sore or sensitive to touch, spend a few moments giving this spot a gentle circular massage.
Ear Massage #3 - To relieve tension and anxiety
- Cup your hands and place your left palm on your left ear and right palm on your right ear.
- Close your eyes and drop your shoulders.
- Gently move your hands in a smooth circular motion, massaging the outer area of your ears with your palms.
- Continue for at least a minute and then repeat in the opposite direction.
This helps you disconnect from the outside world, relax and release any built tension and anxiety.
Ear Massage #4 - To stimulate the brain
- Use your thumb and index fingers to gently massage your ear lobes in small circles.
- After a few delicious minutes move your fingers up to the middle of the outside of your ears,
- and gently rotate your entire ear in circles.
Great for tension in the upper body and over thinking.
Your ear lobes are energetically linked to your brain. When the right ear lobe is massaged it allows the left brain and pituitary gland to become stimulated. When the left ear lobe is massaged it allows the right brain and pineal gland to become stimulated, giving you a whole brain experience.
Ear Massage #5 - To improve attention and focus
- Gently unroll the outer area of your ears, from the very top down to the bottom.
- Repeat three times.
This clever little brain gym exercise is usually taught to children first thing in the morning at school to help them learn more effectively.
Ear Massage #6 - To sooth the sense of hearing
This is Ayurvedic style with warm sesame oil:
- Massage gently the outer area of your area of your ear with your fingers with warmed sesame oil (organic almond or coconut oil can also be used ).
- Next add a few drops of oil to your index fingers and gently massage the entrance to your ear canals with small, soft circular movements.
This is very soothing to your sense of hearing and it helps alleviate tension in your jaw and neck.
Ear Massage #7 - For deep calming effect
For the next minute or so, treat your ears to a peaceful dose of silence and healing energy.
- Rub both your hands together until some heat builds up.
- Cover your ears with the warmed cupped palms of your hands. Left palm cupped over left ear. Right palm cupped over right ear.
- Hold for about 30 seconds, then repeat.
Feel the warm energy relax and soothe the area in and around your ears. This simple practice is deeply calming.
Ear Massage #8 - To refresh in between tasks
The pomodoro method recommends the following exercise to practice in between finishing one task and starting another.
- Take your earlobes between your thumb and forefinger and lightly pull downwards.
- Breathe out gently.
- Repeat six times.
If you feel freshness in your eyes and your hearing has gotten clearer, great! The exercise has done its job.
Exercise #9 - Simple way to energize your entire body
This is Qi Gong style ear massage.
- Scrub the ears from front to the back with the palms of your hands.
- Continue 18 times.
This will energize your entire body.
Exercise #10 - to stimulate the organ system
Another Qi Gong style massage:
- Just above where your ear connects to your head, you'll find a small indent. Rub it with a tiny circle.
- Then right in front of where the ear connects, you'll find another small indent. Rub it also with a tiny circle.
- Finally, right in front of that cartilage flap of your ear, in line with the top of that flap, you'll find another little indent. Yes, rub that too with tiny circles.
- then massage every point of your ears, slowly so you don't miss a single point.
- then pull your ears down three times.
Pulling the ears stimulates many points which has a delightful effect on all the organ systems.
As your kids are running off to school in the morning, grab them, give them a big hug, then pull their ears three times.
It is also one of the most wonderful things you can do with your pets.
Don't you just feel great after all those ear massages? I am.. I hope you are too.
More Health Related Articles by Rosie2010:
- Health Benefits of Avocados
- Health Benefits of Bananas
- Health Benefits of Oranges
- Health Benefits of Fiber
- Health Benefits of Peanuts
- Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Health Benefits of Yogurt
- Health Benefits of Beer
- Health Benefits of Red Wine
- Health Benefits of Light Therapy
- Health Benefits of Ear Massage
- Health Benefits of Smiling
- Health Benefits of Walking
- Nutritional Comparison between Yams and Sweet Potatoes
Did you know? by Rosie2010
Did you know you can create your own HubPage?
Did you know you can be part of a great community, make friends and, share your knowledge and experience, and EARN MONEY through Adsense and other Affiliate programs?
Yes, you can! JOIN HUBPAGES NOW - CLICK HERE!
More by this Author
Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem - Diet Comparison Jenny Craig vs Nutrisystem - Diet Comparision - Which is better for you? Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem are two of the best and most popular diets in the market. Both Jenny...
Here are the 10 best natural home remedies for constipation, including a little nursing home secret known as "the bomb."
If your nails are breaking or splitting, you either have brittle nails or weak nails. Learn how to protect your nails and finally get the beautiful strong nails you deserve.